Kyle Rittenhouse - teen who shot three people in Kenosha

Caporegime
Never bring a skateboard to an AR-15 fight.

The state of the type of person who would push a wheely bin in flames into a petrol station. He was released from a mental facility that day though by all accounts.

This is what happens when the police stand back. People get crazy and things escalate.

Precisely, people complaining about "vigilantism" need to understand that this situation only arose because the police failed to act to suppress the riots.

Had the police done their job, there may have been zero fatalities (despite Kamala Harris's best attempts at trying to get rioters released).

It's always the same people defending the BLM riots that complain about "vigilantes", I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don’t get why he felt the need to rock up and decide to be a militia of shorts, to guard businesses – it seems odd
probably a loner who thought it seemed cool
hope he realises he messed up... taking a gun out on the streets like that jesus...

yea things escalate that quickly, he had no idea what he was getting into

all the vigilante people brought it on themselves though he obviously wasnt some guy trying to kill people. he just got in a bad situation through his own silly actions, then panics as people start chasing him down trying to snatch his gun.

call the cops, stay out of the way..

Soldato

I work for an American company and I wondered this too so asked some of my team mates what they thought.

The answer seems to be, that what we Brits don't have anymore, that many Americans do, is a strong sense of pride in their communities to the extent that they will actively defend them against threats if they have to. Quite simply, because the police (under orders from above) failed in their duty to protect property and livelihoods from rioters and looters (legitimate protestors don't commit arson or rob stores) it fell on appropriately armed locals to do so.

Rittenhouse may be young but it appears that sense of duty has already been instilled in him. We may not be able to understand that attitude in the UK but it seems to be quite normal - and strong - in certain parts of the USA.

As Energize already pointed out, if the police had done their job this tragedy would never have happened.

Man of Honour
hope he realises he messed up... taking a gun out on the streets like that jesus...

yea things escalate that quickly, he had no idea what he was getting into

all the vigilante people brought it on themselves though he obviously wasnt some guy trying to kill people. he just got in a bad situation through his own silly actions, then panics as people start chasing him down trying to snatch his gun.

He wasn't alone initially - despite some posters seeming to think that - initially he was with a group of armed men, doing likewise, who were protecting local properties - at some point he became separated from them for whatever reasons - I've not followed it closely.

Man of Honour
It's not illegal in some states to carry a firearm. Apparently it's more legal to carry a huge rifle around and less dangerous then a concealed firearm. It's a bit mad really the only people I wouldn't feel too apprehensive about openly carrying are police and the soldiers in full dress. Even then it would still make me uneasy unless its at an area where you would expect that level of security, such as airports etc. [..]

It might seem a bit mad to people in a culture where very few people are armed, but in times and places where people were/are routinely armed it was/is usually the case that open carry was/is generally considered less threatening than concealed carry. It dates back to when concealable weapons were melee weapons, usually daggers. The intended message of open carry was "You can see my weapon is not in my hand because I don't intend to use it." If you then draw your weapon the other person has some advance notice. If your dagger is concealed, you can draw it and start stabbing them before they have a chance to react. So open carry genuinely was more peaceful than concealed carry. In practical terms it doesn't apply so much to guns, but the tradition is a genuine one.

Off the top of my head, the closest such custom (in both time and place) to here was in Scotland in the fairly recent past. To the extent that it was polite to move your dagger to a sheath on the outside of your ankle when entering someone else's home.

Man of Honour
And according to Brandon, the Herrera one not the other one, some people went trick or treating dressed as Kyle Rittenhouse...

Caporegime
OP
It seems like some of the "prosecution" witnesses might as well be defence witnesses:

https://apnews.com/article/kyle-rit...loyd-kenosha-3b74864f491347cfdd09cfc22ffdf557
In an attempt to undo some of the damage done by his own witness, prosecutor Thomas Binger said McGinniss’ testimony about what Rosenbaum was intending to do was “complete guesswork.”

“Isn’t it?” he asked.

“Well,” McGinniss replied, “he said, `**** you.′ And then he reached for the weapon.”

https://www.insider.com/kyle-rittenhouse-witness-says-joseph-rosenbaum-lunged-for-teens-gun-2021-11
Demonstrating what he saw, McGinniss crouched down, then charged forward and extended his hands outwards and slightly downwards in a grabbing motion.

"It was very clear to me that he was reaching specifically for the weapon, because that's where his hands went," McGinniss said. "The rifle was lower than where [Rosenbaum's] hands were, so [Rosenbaum's] hands were going down… Kyle Rittenhouse dodged around it, and then leveled the weapon, and fired."

Caporegime
OP
Trying to find some short clips of the above, the text description doesn't really give full context, it's quite amusing, not embedding as it contains a swear word:

https://rumble.com/voq8lr-witness-g...use-trial-prosecutor.html?mref=23gga&mc=8uxj1

also this short clip, the prosecutor tries asking about how far back he was from Rosenbaum and he again mentions the point where Rosenbaum tries to grab Rittenhouse's rifle:

https://rumble.com/voq0jh-prosecuto...t-destroys-their-case.html?mref=23gga&mrefc=2

Not looking too promising for 1st-degree homicide for this first instance at least.

Soldato
Highlights from yesterday.

"Rosenbaum’s fiancee, Kariann Swart, disclosed that he was on medication for bipolar disorder and depression but didn’t fill his prescriptions because the local pharmacy was boarded up as a result of the unrest"

"The judge allowed the defense to elicit testimony about Rosenbaum’s mental illness because prosecutors brought up mention of medication. Had prosecutors not touched on the topic, it is unlikely the judge would have let the defense bring it up."

"On the day he was shot, Rosenbaum had been released from a Milwaukee hospital. The jury was told that much, but not why he had been admitted —after a suicide attempt." But the jury are not allowed to know that!

I have said how a lot of prosecutors in Wisconsin are corrupt, and they proved me right.

"A state crime lab DNA analyst testified Friday that she tested swabs from the barrel guard from Rittenhouse’s rifle and did not find DNA from Rosenbaum or the other man killed that night, Anthony Huber. But Amber Rasmussen said she received no swabs from the actual barrel of the gun and would have no way of knowing if Rosenbaum touched it."

The prosecutors knew that the dead guy held the barrel, but never had that part tested.

Soldato

Call the cops? This wasn't a home invasion, people were burning buildings to the ground for months whilst the police sat by and watched. People realised the only way to defend this is to do it themselves.

Look at the LA riots in 1992, many areas of Koreatown weren't as badly affected because the Koreans took up arms to protect their community, which the police failed to do.

Also his "panic" as you describe it was retreating, which was a smart move, he tried to retreat twice in both shooting locations, which really strengthens his self defence position. The prosecution can't ask why he didn't run away, because he did.

And according to Brandon, the Herrera one not the other one...
:D

Caporegime
Highlights from yesterday.

"Rosenbaum’s fiancee, Kariann Swart, disclosed that he was on medication for bipolar disorder and depression but didn’t fill his prescriptions because the local pharmacy was boarded up as a result of the unrest"

"The judge allowed the defense to elicit testimony about Rosenbaum’s mental illness because prosecutors brought up mention of medication. Had prosecutors not touched on the topic, it is unlikely the judge would have let the defense bring it up."

"On the day he was shot, Rosenbaum had been released from a Milwaukee hospital. The jury was told that much, but not why he had been admitted —after a suicide attempt." But the jury are not allowed to know that!

I have said how a lot of prosecutors in Wisconsin are corrupt, and they proved me right.

"A state crime lab DNA analyst testified Friday that she tested swabs from the barrel guard from Rittenhouse’s rifle and did not find DNA from Rosenbaum or the other man killed that night, Anthony Huber. But Amber Rasmussen said she received no swabs from the actual barrel of the gun and would have no way of knowing if Rosenbaum touched it."

The prosecutors knew that the dead guy held the barrel, but never had that part tested.

The prosecution in this case are a train wreck, entirely political.

Soldato
I work for an American company and I wondered this too so asked some of my team mates what they thought.

The answer seems to be, that what we Brits don't have anymore, that many Americans do, is a strong sense of pride in their communities to the extent that they will actively defend them against threats if they have to. Quite simply, because the police (under orders from above) failed in their duty to protect property and livelihoods from rioters and looters (legitimate protestors don't commit arson or rob stores) it fell on appropriately armed locals to do so.

Rittenhouse may be young but it appears that sense of duty has already been instilled in him. We may not be able to understand that attitude in the UK but it seems to be quite normal - and strong - in certain parts of the USA.

As Energize already pointed out, if the police had done their job this tragedy would never have happened.

This.

Soldato
The prosecution in this case are a train wreck, entirely political.

Two people were killed and another injured so its understandable that there needs to be a criminal case to see if the shootings were justified (which I believe they were), so I'd say it's less "political" (even if it appears so) than just the normal "checks and balances" of law being upheld.

Once the case concludes, or even after appeal if necessary, there will be a definitive answer as to whether, in the eyes of the law at least, the shootings were justified.

Soldato
Once the case concludes, or even after appeal if necessary, there will be a definitive answer as to whether, in the eyes of the law at least, the shootings were justified.
In the eyes of the jury, you mean. I thought the case against Chauvin was very poor, not racially motivated, and the prosecution was very weak too. But there he went anyway.

Caporegime
In the eyes of the jury, you mean. I thought the case against Chauvin was very poor, not racially motivated, and the prosecution was very weak too. But there he went anyway.

The Chauvin trial was a mess to be sure. No plea deal which is normally standard, and the jury were hopelessly influenced by the media saying it was racially motivated. Certainly not a fair trial by the average standard.

Two people were killed and another injured so its understandable that there needs to be a criminal case to see if the shootings were justified (which I believe they were), so I'd say it's less "political" (even if it appears so) than just the normal "checks and balances" of law being upheld.

There doesn't need to be a trial, you are only supposed to prosecute someone if you have substantial evidence and believe they are guilty, I don't for one second believe that the prosecution believe he committed murder, they are acting in bad faith.

Back
Top Bottom