• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Until the buyer does a chargeback 5 months after they've bought it and you're down a card and £1700 because ebay 99% time side with the buyer

Yeah, I wouldn't let my 3080 go anywhere near that cesspit, eBay. A few hundred extra quid is all well and good until you have to start dealing with that sort of risk, Just not worth it, TBH.

Associate
Not everyone on Ebay are scammers, i have sold over 400 items over the years on there and only once had an issue which was a phone i sold and was potentially stolen in transit by DPD or the buyer was a scammer and took it out before saying its not in there... insurance will sort that ! but either way that was the only issue i had in all those sales and have sold 2 GPU on there 1 was a 1080 and the other a 1080Ti Strix and not one of them had an issue . Not everyone is out to pull a fast one and you could also do collection in person etc which again i have had and no issue what so ever :)

Soldato
eBay can be a pain for selling tech. Mate sold a laptop recently that worked. Buyer said it was broken and sent back. Had parts taken out of his, but no proof. He now just has a broken laptop and a few quid out of pocket

Associate
Problem with selling it is Yep you get a nice amount for it but unless you are giving up on PC gaming then you leave yourself in a position where you have to then buy a better card to make it worth while selling and the only things better than the 3080 cost ridiculous amounts of money... £1700+ 3080Ti or £2350+ 3090 . the only viable upgrade would be a 6900XT which OC have in stock for £1350+ so would have to put money towards that upgrade and on some games would lose features like DLSS and better RT support so could be a downgrade depending on use case . Personally id keep what you have until the next gen gpu are released next year so no not stupid imo:D

Only reason I bought a 3090 is because I knew I could sell the 3080 for the cost of a 3090

I'm in the same boat, paid £649 or whatever it was, now on CEX at £1160 cash, or was the last time I looked, but, what are the chances of getting another card that will do what I want at this point...
If it had been earlier in the year then I might have considered it as I spent a good chunk of this year out of the country, however, I'm not out again until December and then not until February next year, maybe, nothing confirmed yet...
£1160, rookie numbers. Think I got £1550 for mine from CEX

Soldato
Problem is I've already had a 3060Ti FE directly from Scan in December, then the 3080 via a mate who had my 3060Ti, so yeah, I could get a 3090 but I'd have to find a friend who could get me a card when there's a drop...

Associate
I've got a 3060ti in a second system that I built for my daughter to play her Lego games but she hasn't switched it on in months. I've also got a 970 lying in the garage gathering dust.

I'd sell it tomorrow if eBay wasn't so full of scammers. The only place I sell tech is the MM.

As i mentioned above ebay has been ok for me over the years BUT that's not to say that scamming doesn't happen as it clearly does but the way i go about it is as a seller is try and take all precautions i can and that will include checking out the buyers previous feedback etc after they have hit buy it now / won bid and if im not happy with what i see will happily cancel the sale and refund the money to them but most of the time its ok and ive have very little problems over the years . I would be happy to sell a gpu on the market place but that requires having a certain number of post and from what i have seen in previous post people are not willing to pay the market rate for current gpu on there and normally demand it cheaper , but kind of expect that on an enthusiast forum :) Ebay can be a pita but its not as bad as people make out imo just need to take some precautions as a seller :)
Only reason I bought a 3090 is because I knew I could sell the 3080 for the cost of a 3090

Nice free upgrade , IF you can manage to get an FE card then its a no brainer moving on a 3080 for a free upgrade.

Problem is I've already had a 3060Ti FE directly from Scan in December, then the 3080 via a mate who had my 3060Ti, so yeah, I could get a 3090 but I'd have to find a friend who could get me a card when there's a drop...

Parents , partner, other friends ... its not impossible , probably more hard work getting them to catch the drop in time without sending random pictures asking is it this one you wanted :rolleyes::cry:

Soldato
Parents , partner, other friends ... its not impossible , probably more hard work getting them to catch the drop in time without sending random pictures asking is it this one you wanted :rolleyes::cry:

Parents live in Spain, partner would want to know why I was spending more money on my PC, the rest it would be a case of picking a mate quick enough to do it while at work, I could try and get a few mates to do it and then if I get more than one, stick them up on here lol

Associate
Parents live in Spain, partner would want to know why I was spending more money on my PC, the rest it would be a case of picking a mate quick enough to do it while at work, I could try and get a few mates to do it and then if I get more than one, stick them up on here lol

We get telegram alerts when they drop in spain so thats the parents sorted :cry: clearly partner is a no go then , what they don't know don't hurt them :p If you do mange to get more than one i will take it off your hands for MSRP of course ;) Good luck what ever you decide to do :D

Yeah I just don't like the faff and risk of ebay. At least with cex it's walk in cash and I don't need to deal with randoms.

Can totally understand that , CEX is a good solid offer , walking in with a 3080 walk out with £1225 cash in hand , a lot would take that option and it is the safer bet if you don't want to deal with ebay and any potential hassle it may bring :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Did the store test the card on site before paying you?

I am think to sell my card but don't want to deal with auction site.

When I sold to them in the past they took the card and said they'd test it. Within an hour they confirmed it was fine and gave me cash. My friend on the other hand had a nightmare because they sent it to another store to test and it took days.

Associate
When I sold to them in the past they took the card and said they'd test it. Within an hour they confirmed it was fine and gave me cash. My friend on the other hand had a nightmare because they sent it to another store to test and it took days.

Should not be a problem for my local cex staff to check the wireless mouse I want to sell, but not sure about if they can check the £1500+ card I am thinking to sell. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom