New scam

Associate
This one was a new one for me. Buyer on gumtree offers to pay and have the item collected.
However, he will only offer to pay in cash by posting the money in an envelope!

"... you will receive money in cash in an envelope which will be sent via the courier delivery service DPD EXPRESSE to your home address the company DPD will send a factor? to your postal address to pick up the package and you deposit your money then ship me to my Shipping address afterwards"

I am sure it will be counterfeit money but found it interesting that he was happy for me to deposit the money first before his "friend" collected the item (guess he has nothing to lose if he hasn't provided his ID, address).

Last edited:
Soldato
Gumtree is cash on delivery only, anythng else and you're a ******* idiot. As for this scam, unless people are being stupid and not checking notes are real how does that work? If I received an envelope of moody notes in payment then the parcel wouldn't be going anywhere.

Associate
OP
Gumtree is cash on delivery only, anythng else and you're a ******* idiot. As for this scam, unless people are being stupid and not checking notes are real how does that work? If I received an envelope of moody notes in payment then the parcel wouldn't be going anywhere.

You missed that bit that the parcel isn't going anywhere until the money is deposited/checked.

Man of Honour
They are probably betting on a certain number of people posting before checking, etc. like the old gag with hitting all the door bell buttons in a block of flats betting someone will just buzz you in.

Caporegime
I thought the new notes were impossible to counterfeit.
to the same exact standards so officials can't tell the difference.

I bet it's not that hard to get pretty close with enough money and the person making it probably isn't some guy in his garage with a few mates like in the 80s and 90s

Caporegime
if you know what you are doing its very easy to spot fake money - but i guess they are relying on people not looking very hard.
most people aren't trained to spot it though, how many people in a shop ever got change and checked the notes? then you got outside and realise you were handed a Scottish fiver etc

way less people use cash now too, I bet soon we will have people who never touched a note before.

most people probably never even saw a fifty

Soldato
most people aren't trained to spot it though, how many people in a shop ever got change and checked the notes? then you got outside and realise you were handed a Scottish fiver etc

way less people use cash now too, I bet soon we will have people who never touched a note before.

most people probably never even saw a fifty

yeah i guess thats true

Soldato
This one was a new one for me. Buyer on gumtree offers to pay and have the item collected.
However, he will only offer to pay in cash by posting the money in an envelope!

"... you will receive money in cash in an envelope which will be sent via the courier delivery service DPD EXPRESSE to your home address the company DPD will send a factor? to your postal address to pick up the package and you deposit your money then ship me to my Shipping address afterwards"

I am sure it will be counterfeit money but found it interesting that he was happy for me to deposit the money first before his "friend" collected the item (guess he has nothing to lose if he hasn't provided his ID, address).

The typos in that would instantly make me suspicious.

Soldato
My guess is it's just the same old gumtree scam and nothing to do with counterfeit cash. After you accept, either:
1- He "accidentally" sends you a cheque instead of the cash.
2- Some story about why it's now urgent and he can't wait for the postage so has to send money by some electronic means instead.
3- He sends you a tracking number to show the "cash" is on it's way and tries to get you to send the item before it arrives.

He offered to pay cash so you're more trusting of him when the story changes. You said in your OP that this is a new scam so you've already got the idea in your head that this is not a normal scam. Luckily, you've worked out that it still is a scam, I'm sure many others didn't.

Back
Top Bottom