• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card for 3440x1440 144hz?

Caporegime
3080 @ 3440x1440 144HZ here, depends on the game really but usually it has no problems pushing 90+ on max settings with ease and if really intensive RT, then 65/70 fps when you throw DLSS into the mix and now also FSR + NIS, although I don't use the latter form of upscaling as it is very poor at anything but 4k.

Hmm which games did you test with DLSS and RTX? I would say it depends on game with how good they are, can be meh and can be very impressive performance gains for pretty much no visual loss (Death Stranding). But yeah buying a card just for those features isn't necessarily the best idea as there are still quite limited games using either

Not sure why people keep saying "limited" games for DLSS and RT now, the list is very extensive and is only growing more and more every month.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-rtx-games-engines-apps/

Caporegime
Quick update, managed to narrow it down to two cards. The Nvidia MSI Ventus 3080Ti costs £200 more than the 6900XT Gaming Z. Do you think the nvidia features are worth that extra?

Have a look at the link above and see what games are important to you then look at benchmarks comparing the games.

If you don't care for RT or/and dlss/ai upscaling tech (it's uncertain whether RDNA 2 will ever get an equivalent due to lack of appropriate hardware required) then go with amd.

Associate
Quick update, managed to narrow it down to two cards. The Nvidia MSI Ventus 3080Ti costs £200 more than the 6900XT Gaming Z. Do you think the nvidia features are worth that extra?

AMD will eventually get an AI upscaler (would be stupid not to), but I don't think the RDNA2 cards will be great at it. Same with RT; as RT becomes more common (and hopefully more effecient), the RDNA2 cards will lag behind. Will also depend on how long you want to keep the card for - unfortunately pricing is terrible at the moment so upgrading at a later date feels painful.

Associate
OP
AMD will eventually get an AI upscaler (would be stupid not to), but I don't think the RDNA2 cards will be great at it. Same with RT; as RT becomes more common (and hopefully more effecient), the RDNA2 cards will lag behind. Will also depend on how long you want to keep the card for - unfortunately pricing is terrible at the moment so upgrading at a later date feels painful.

Thanks for the help. I tend to keep my GPU for about 3 years. FSR seems good but the RT performance is lacking.

Associate
Yup the next generation of carsd should be more capable for RT if Nvidias leap from 2xxx to 3xxx can be repeated or even improved upon, right now its nice to look at for a bit but not really
to play with.

Back
Top Bottom