Poll: Qatar Grand Prix 2021, Lusail - Race 20

Rate the 2021 Qatar Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Hamilton didn't even use the new brasil rocket engine for Qatar and still won comfortably so he'll having that put back in for the final 2 races.

Soldato
Max just needs to come P2 and fastest laps and he'll win. I'd much rather be in his position

:confused: Nope. If Lewis wins both, he finishes ahead regardless.

With things poised as they are, Hamilton is starting to look the favourite assuming all goes to plan, it would seem likely he'll be fastest at the last two tracks but as ever with racing - it can all turn on it's head in an instant - one botched wheel change at a pit stop, a puncture, an ill-timed safety car etc. could easily swing the balance.

Indeed, he easily has the pace, just needs the stars aligned.

Soldato
With things poised as they are, Hamilton is starting to look the favourite assuming all goes to plan, it would seem likely he'll be fastest at the last two tracks but as ever with racing - it can all turn on it's head in an instant - one botched wheel change at a pit stop, a puncture, an ill-timed safety car etc. could easily swing the balance.

If you end up with Max P1 and Lewis P2 next race because of a minor screw up from Mercedes/Lewis, it's 376.5 to 361.5, meaning a 15 point overhaul would be needed in the last race and that's suddenly not looking all that likely.

Soldato
Is Lando Norris a better driver than George Russell?

I think he is...

Certainly more likeable. He's probably pulled ahead as a better driver purely on his experience of being at McLaren.

I will guarantee you that Mr Horner is never seen waving a flag or even stood at a Marshall’s post.

Perhaps he should have to Marshall at a race in his time off. Pretty sure I've heard of that happening before after someone criticising or not understanding what Marshalls do.

That's kind of happening, but with CFD and wind tunnel time. As of next year:
1st gets 70% of limit
10th gets 115% of limit

This year, 1st got 90% of limit and 10th got 112.5% of limit.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...t-impact-they-will.pn0sG8N4A0cjbNRbdYx8a.html

This is partly why I and many others think Ferrari are going to have a top car next year. I predict Sainz to outperform Leclerc too.

Only thing I really disliked is Red Bull ordering Gasly to let Max past, it probably didn't affect the result but it seems like an unfair advantage to effectively be running 4 cars and very unsporting. Max was on the radio saying he was stuck, Gasly is told Max isn't their race and immediately he just happens to make a mistake in the corner and then forgets to open his DRS until Max was ahead. Couldn't have made it any more obvious.

I don't think there are any expressed/direct orders. AT knows the score so would likely always move unless they were in with a shout of wining the race. I bit like McLaren telling Noris not to race previously.

Soldato
If Hamilton wins the next race then I wouldn't be supprised if Verstappen tries to take him out at the first corner with a timely lock up in the final race.

Soldato
All the tin foil hats are out. If Max crashes into Lewis he'll get disqualified from drivers championship like Schumacher did after his crash on Villeneuve, can't see that happening.

Caporegime
All the tin foil hats are out. If Max crashes into Lewis he'll get disqualified from drivers championship like Schumacher did after his crash on Villeneuve, can't see that happening.

Schumacher, of course, took his first WDC after colliding with Hill. It was the second time that he was penalised, and after he lost the championship anyway. Will Max just spear into Lewis at the first corner? No, I think that's fanciful, but given a driving style that one would refer to as "assertive" if one wished to be generous a collision between the two seems quite plausible. It'd have to be very blatant for the stewards to be willing to take a WDC off him for it.

Soldato
The 1994 Schumacher Hill collision was dubious. The one into Villeneuve was not. The stewards are much more penalty happy these days too. Max and Lewis have collided a couple of times this season already, so it could have course happen. I doubt it would be deliberate though.

Soldato
Yeah I can't see a deliberate swipe by either. I can well imagine a desperate attempt to stay ahead perhaps (like Verstappen at Interlagos) but I don't think they're going to risk bans carrying over into 2022 or anything.

The worst we'll get is swerving on the straights if the other is close (until they get a warning about it).

Associate
Only just noticed it? Been going on for years.. Football has ownership rules to prevent this...
Usually they just don't put up much of a fight when attempting to pass, not this blatant and costing themselves time to make sure Red Bull can get past quickly. I guess it becomes more obvious and a problem when they are in two close championship battles.

Commissario
It’s been a cracking championship this year and although I’d rather Lewis won, I won’t be too sad if Max takes it.

It’s just nice to have a championship go down to the wire like this.

Soldato
Love this post on Reddit:

u/renhero said:
If the stars align in Jeddah, EVERYTHING will be to play for in Abu Dhabi.

Current Driver Standings:
  • VER 351.5
  • HAM 343.5
  • BOT 203
  • PER 190
Current Constructor Standings:
  • Mercedes 546.5
  • Red Bull 541.5

If the podium in Jeddah goes HAM-VER-PER, with fastest lap to Hamilton and Bottas in P9, we see the following:
  • HAM 343.5 + 25 + 1 = 369.5
  • VER 351.5 + 18 = 369.5
  • PER 190 + 15 = 205
  • BOT 203 + 2 = 205
  • Mercedes 546.5 + 26 + 2 = 574.5
  • Red Bull 541.5 + 18 + 15 = 574.5
With the stars aligning, we would see ties for 1st, 3rd and Constructors heading into Abu Dhabi. Saudi Arabia will be pretty hype for the standings, if not much else.

That would be something!

Soldato
It’s been a cracking championship this year and although I’d rather Lewis won, I won’t be too sad if Max takes it.

It’s just nice to have a championship go down to the wire like this.

i feel the same, I back the British drives, Lando, George, Lewis. But I've grown bored of watching Lewis win uncontested so its great to see action and him have some actual competition. If Max wins I see it more as we had an entertaining season.

Role on next year when we have the new cars and 2 British drivers behind the mercs. If things go the way I wish, I hope we see plenty of NOR, RUS, HAM on the podium, hopefully all together.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Toto has said that they are going to bring their "spicy parts" to Saudi.

He's referring to the 2nd engine (the one introduced at Brazil) which has better performance. In fact, Merc have stated that the unit Lewis used for Qatar was down on power and his performance was actually above what they predicted... so it bodes well, assuming no shenanigans and a clean race.

Soldato
He's referring to the 2nd engine (the one introduced at Brazil) which has better performance. In fact, Merc have stated that the unit Lewis used for Qatar was down on power and his performance was actually above what they predicted... so it bodes well, assuming no shenanigans and a clean race.
Nice. Although even if LH qualis first and gets away cleanly I'll still be bricking it for the duration :(:D
That would be something!
Yeah I thought that was the case. If Lewis finishes P1 and Max P2 then they're tied for the last race? So at least we can't see Mad Max punt him off in the last race.. hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom