Adele asks Spotify to remove the random button (for albums)

Soldato
I thought she had just asked for Random to not be the default setting on Albums rather than it to not be an option at all, so really don't see an issue. After all artists release albums in a particular order because they feel it makes the album flow better surely.

Caporegime
I thought she had just asked for Random to not be the default setting on Albums rather than it to not be an option at all, so really don't see an issue. After all artists release albums in a particular order because they feel it makes the album flow better surely.

This makes sense

Man of Honour
I don't think I've ever listened to an album start to finish in my life. Am I doing it wrong?

I started buying in 1970 and it is very rare I have left on album on from getting it home without lifting the needle on at least a couple of tracks and moving it on.
Van Halen 1, Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Balls, Metallica by Metallica, Master of puppets by Metallica are very rare exceptions until I came across the bands Volbeat and Ghost where I can listen to every album without moving a track on.
I can also listen to them on shuffle.

I was a rebel once, I listened to Rush 2112 on shuffle - go me.

Associate
The headlines make it sound like people are losing some choice because of a demand made by Adele.

Reading various opinions by those that use Spotify it seems pretty clear that the option is still there, but now shuffle is no longer the default.

After reading the headlines and her tweet I thought she sounded incredibly entitled.
Reading outside the mainstream media gave me the full story.

Seems like a non issue to me.

Soldato
Why would you take choice away?
It hasn't been taken away.
After reading the headlines and her tweet I thought she sounded incredibly entitled.
What's entitled about this?

"We don't create albums with so much care and thought into our track listing for no reason. Our art tells a story and our stories should be listened to as we intended. Thank you Spotify for listening."

Sounds completely fair enough if you ask me. Nothing entitled about that.

Associate
It hasn't been taken away.
What's entitled about this?

"We don't create albums with so much care and thought into our track listing for no reason. Our art tells a story and our stories should be listened to as we intended. Thank you Spotify for listening."

Sounds completely fair enough if you ask me. Nothing entitled about that.

Entitled - believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

The headlines painted a picture that was very much this. The tweet itself is a perfectly valid opinion. Forcing a streaming service to change their default options because you believe yourself to be in a position to dictate how everybody using the service should listen to their music is, in my opinion, the very definition of entitlement.
However as I said, I only felt this way after reading both headlines and the tweet together which made it sound like that was what she was doing.

As the rest of my post says, once I actually looked into what was being asked and set aside the headlines I felt like it was a non issue.
She hasn't made any such demand, but the tweet was framed that way by the media.
In reality she's just asked that the default option be playing tracks in order, something I highly agree with. The option for shuffle is still present. The media, presumably because controversy sells, did not make this clear.

I completely agree that in the context of what is actually happening vs what was implied, Adele's tweet is completely reasonable.

Its an utter non issue that has been spun into something to sell 'news' and generate clicks.

Soldato
I haven't got Spotify but I'm gobsmacked the default is Shuffle.
Tomorrow I'll be listening to the new Dream Theatre album and I expect to hear it as the artist intended.
Totally agree her request is sensible and reasonable and I’m glad Spotify accepted it, probably because last time she released an album she made the streaming services had to wait 5 months for it so they are always going to bend over backwards to accommodate her this time!

Soldato
It's up to the listener. They could pull their albums from streaming but god forbid people use the shuffle function on their CD player.

TBH I don't like Adele's stuff, just not my speed. I'd track skip past all of it, is that allowed? :cry:

Soldato
It's up to the listener. They could pull their albums from streaming but god forbid people use the shuffle function on their CD player.

TBH I don't like Adele's stuff, just not my speed. I'd track skip past all of it, is that allowed? :cry:
She hasn’t asked for shuffle to be removed just not be the prominent default, if you don’t like it don’t listen I’m not her biggest fan but she is clearly a gifted singer and talented song writer.

Soldato
She hasn’t asked for shuffle to be removed just not be the prominent default, if you don’t like it don’t listen I’m not her biggest fan but she is clearly a gifted singer and talented song writer.

Now that they have complied with her request what other artists will give their demands suggestions on how Spotify should improve?

Man of Honour
I don't remember Spotify ever having shuffle on by default on albums - maybe a change for newer users than myself while it kept my original settings?

Personally don't care what the default is as long as the option is there.

Back
Top Bottom