Gigabyte M28U Release Date

Associate
Does anyone still get the strange black screen bug that appears to be tied to hardware accelleration in Chrome/Firefox etc? Anyone know of a fix for it?

(Firmware F07 / 497.09).

Associate
Associate
I got this monitor in mid September, but unfortunately had to RMA it a little over 2 months later as it was faulty with a weird horizontal black line near the top. I'd read bad things about Gigabyte quality control and RMA's, I really wish I had listened now. After contacting Overclockers for RMA they initially tried to fob me off and said I needed to contact Gigabyte, but they accepted the RMA after I pointed out I was legally entitled to return it to the retailer for repair or replacement.

It was returned to Overclockers on 6th December, at which point they tested and confirmed the fault, but they said I had to return all the accessories it came with before they would accept the RMA so it got delayed by a week. On 13th December I received an email saying it had been sent back to the manufacturer for repair, and that if they were unable to return it within 28 days they would give me the option of a refund. I emailed Overclockers yesterday asking for a status update since it had been 28 days but they haven't replied yet. I initially handed over the monitor to DPD on 2nd December so I've been unable to use my gaming PC for 40 days and counting.

Associate
They won't know themselves yet tbh. If you don't want to wait further then request a refund and re-purchase a replacement imo.
I did request a refund today but they haven't replied to that either yet. I understand they could be busy but they were very quick to respond to my RMA emails in December, and it has been 3 days without a reply now.

Associate
Related Reddit threads:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ohbc2f/gigabyte_m28u_black_screen_when_switching_apps/
https://old.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/ptubnf/gigabyte_m28u_black_screen_delay_for_34_seconds/

Apparently relating to the DSC implementation onboard. Overriding the refresh rate/colour depth/colour space with 120Hz / 10bpc / YCbCr422 resolves the issue - but it does seem like a bit of a trade off for what is supposed to be a native 144Hz 4K panel.

Self-reply.
It seems that having two screens connected to my GPU both via DP perhaps exacerbated this issue. Connecing my second screen (DELL U2515H 2K/1440p) via HDMI seems to have resolved the issue without the need for clocking the screen down to 120Hz or modifying the colour space.

Soldato
The firmware F07 firmware was released on the 11th of this month for the M32U

I've updated my monitor and went smoothly, anyone know what it improves?

Word of advice, from experience, I would advise people not to apply firmware updates if you, A: Don't know what it's changing and or B: Don't need anything it's doing, i.e. problems it may be solving etc. It's not like just updating a piece of software, a firmware update like that can fundamentally change the operating parmeters for things in way that's not always easy to reverse and can certainly introduce new problems as easily as solve old ones, I would do a bit of research before hitting that button in the future and with something like a monitor, really, unless you have an issue the firmware will fix, just leave it alone.

Associate
Got my M32U Dec last year, just having a google around to see what has actually updated in the latest 07 firmware update guess we are all in the dark, will echo above comment though if it isn't broke not worth it especially going blindly forward of not knowing what fixes/updates are applied could be allot of pain for unknown gain. I am obviously super curious to know what the update is though. Super happy with the monitor so far mind, been rocking ultrawides for awhile last being the LG950f fell off the PC gaming requirements due to not being able to bag a new GPU so was looking for a good fit for PC (work from home) and current gen console 120htz gaming and this has hit the mark for me no complaints. (on off chance a potential buyer in a similar situation reads this)

Was on a 1080ti now sold along with the ultrawide, happy as pig in **** with series x and the M32U for work and console gaming, was thinking may re-visit when GPU's are more readily available but right now feel like I am missing out on not allot for my circumstances still dabbling with the GFN 3080 tier but if they do no ramp up library soon that will be going the journey too. (HDR is the only sacrifice moving from TV to this monitor imho, one day monitors will catch up with HDR that don't cost a mortgage one can hope.

Cracking monitor buy one.

EDIT: Few strong lemonades involved in that post and still onboard, and some major self generalisation to my current circumstance. For my current circumstance this monitor has been the perfect fit, I do not miss the nearly ish twice the price LG Ultrawide at all the M32U performs better for productivity for me and is clearly more compatible with current gen consoles. If I was still a hardcore PC gamer rocking a new GPU playing PC only games hitting up MMO's etc I would have kept the ultrawide hands down. ./getscoat

Still a cracking Monitor for certain situations though no regrets here.

WTF is in the firmware update ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I eventually got a refund for my faulty M28U as Gigabyte still hadn't returned it to Overclockers after a month. When it came in stock at a competitor last week I purchased a replacement, but it had backlight bleed in the top right corner which was a little annoying when watching movies with black bars. My original M28U unit didn't have any noticeable backlight bleed, so when I saw it in stock at Overclockers yesterday I thought I'd try my luck with another one. This unit has even worse backlight bleed in the top left corner, a very noticeable yellow tint at stock settings using the standard profile, and an annoying high pitched buzz which I assume is coil whine. Quality control with this monitor is absolutely shocking, I had no issues at all with my 2 previous IPS monitors (Asus and Dell).

Soldato
That's a shame, I've only really had such issues once with a monitor and I've had a few over the years (not sure exactly how many but 20+) and that was with BenQ. I think it's really just par for the course with TFT panels, it's a shame but it's always been this way and aslong as there is so much variation possible in the tech from the panel and the backlights then I think it always will be, I wouldn't say Gigabyte are necessarily any better or worse than Dell or Asus. This level of variation possible in the final units is also the reason that I, as a rule, always order monitors from that giant river basin in South America despite prefering to use our home grown enthusiast retailers whenever I can, the reason is becasue I can return it for any picky, nerdy reason I like weather they think it's a good one or not, no questions asked and they will send someone to pick it up aswell so it doesn't cost me anything other than time spent with it ...a tough act to follow for a smaller business for sure but also one all will need to for monitors specifically I would say to get my custom. Buying monitors is like rolling a dice to be honest, whatever brand it has on the front.

Associate
That's a shame, I've only really had such issues once with a monitor and I've had a few over the years (not sure exactly how many but 20+) and that was with BenQ. I think it's really just par for the course with TFT panels, it's a shame but it's always been this way and aslong as there is so much variation possible in the tech from the panel and the backlights then I think it always will be, I wouldn't say Gigabyte are necessarily any better or worse than Dell or Asus. This level of variation possible in the final units is also the reason that I, as a rule, always order monitors from that giant river basin in South America despite prefering to use our home grown enthusiast retailers whenever I can, the reason is becasue I can return it for any picky, nerdy reason I like weather they think it's a good one or not, no questions asked and they will send someone to pick it up aswell so it doesn't cost me anything other than time spent with it ...a tough act to follow for a smaller business for sure but also one all will need to for monitors specifically I would say to get my custom. Buying monitors is like rolling a dice to be honest, whatever brand it has on the front.
It could have been bad luck but 3 defective M28U's in a row was getting a bit ridiculous. I got an Odyssey G70A which has the same specs as the M28U but is a bit more expensive, it doesn't have any backlight bleed thankfully. I don't think it matters too much which retailer you buy monitors from, if it has any kind of defect you have the right to reject it and get a refund.

Soldato
I don't think it matters too much which retailer you buy monitors from, if it has any kind of defect you have the right to reject it and get a refund.
Well my experience in this has taught me that what I think is a fault isn't necessarily what they will consider a fault, ultimately most will use the manufactuers guidelines for that, where as I think a lot of people involved in the hobby or who just like to have as perfect an image as possible to look at, have a differnt idea about what constitutes a faulty monitor, i.e. a single dead pixel or obvious backlight bleed are not acceptable to many, there is not tolerance for it really where as many manufacturers will allow for it to some degree, having said that if everyone was like this I suspect the prices would need to rise quite a lot as more panels would get scraped and QA would have to be tighter. Where I work we have bought hundreds of Iiyama monitors, mostly the same model a 22 inch IPS basic office display and there is quite a bit of variation if you look at a load of them together, having said that actual dead pixels are surpsingly rare even from large batches like that, then again they are also probably less likely in smaller monitors on the whole I would think.

Associate
Well my experience in this has taught me that what I think is a fault isn't necessarily what they will consider a fault, ultimately most will use the manufactuers guidelines for that, where as I think a lot of people involved in the hobby or who just like to have as perfect an image as possible to look at, have a differnt idea about what constitutes a faulty monitor, i.e. a single dead pixel or obvious backlight bleed are not acceptable to many, there is not tolerance for it really where as many manufacturers will allow for it to some degree, having said that if everyone was like this I suspect the prices would need to rise quite a lot as more panels would get scraped and QA would have to be tighter. Where I work we have bought hundreds of Iiyama monitors, mostly the same model a 22 inch IPS basic office display and there is quite a bit of variation if you look at a load of them together, having said that actual dead pixels are surpsingly rare even from large batches like that, then again they are also probably less likely in smaller monitors on the whole I would think.
A retailer could try to argue that the defect is within acceptable limits, but ultimately if you consider the defect to be unacceptable then you have the right to return for a refund.

Soldato
A retailer could try to argue that the defect is within acceptable limits, but ultimately if you consider the defect to be unacceptable then you have the right to return for a refund.
True, but who wants to have to argue about it, I just like the ease and no-questions asked nature of what I was originally talking about, as soon as I am put into a possition where I have to argue or justify myself I am already ...annoyed and less inclined to use that retailer again.

Back
Top Bottom