New build - won't POST

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm building a PC for a friend's daughter. I'm very comfortable building PCs and work within IT but this has be stumped. Spec below:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G CPU
Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz 16GB RAM
WD Blue SN550 500GB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD
Corsair CX-F RGB Series 650W 80 Plus Bronze Fully Modular PSU

All went together fine without any issues except..... it won't POST at all. CPU fan spins, motherboard lights up, no beeps from the speaker and no output from either the DVI or HDMI port. So far I've tried:

* 2 different monitors
* Changed PSU
* Removed everything plugged in apart from video and power, inc internal connectors like HDD LED, front USB etc....
* Tried without RAM, with only 1 stick of RAM
* Removed NMVe SSD

So I'm left with a PSU connected to the motherboard and CPU, with just power and DVI plugged into the machine and I'm still getting no output, beeps etc.... My only thought is the CPU is only supported from BIOS F61 which was released about 6 months ago, maybe the stock was old and it has an old BIOS - but how can I check / update without a valid CPU? I'm not even sure if what I'm seeing is what would happen with a BIOS that doesn't support the CPU though.

That leaves me to think it's either the motherboard (which lights up) or the CPU (fan spins up)..... how do I get about diagnosing that? I don't have another CPU or motherboard to test?

Associate
my guess is you need to update bios on b450 mobo. as you're using the graphics on the cpu, you wouldn't see anything on monitor as it requires the cpu to be working and if bios isnt up to date, then that wont happen without the update...

where did you get the mobo from? If bought new, then phone up and tell them..if OCuk they will update bios for you if you explain etc

Soldato
+1 for BIOS being out of date, B450 chipset predates the launch of Ryzen 5000 CPUs, they were launched in tandem with the X570 boards then B550.

CPU compatibility was added later on for most B450 boards with a BIOS update.

Soldato
OP
Checking the box out it says AMD Ryzen 3000 desktop ready so that seems old but it's impossible to tell when it was manufactured from what I can see.

Would you not expect to at least see the Gigabyte logo or something even with an incompatible CPU (or will it just flat out refuse to do anything)?

I'm guessing as I'm using the iGPU that does make sense.

Gigabyte seem to suggest I can try something called Q-Flash which the board does support. If I fit any sort of GPU (to get video) I wonder if that would help? Anyone used Q-Flash or know anything about it?

Sending off for a CPU seems a bit long winded and I wanted to get the build finished ASAP!

Edit: Board is brand new but not from OcUK, would probably take longer to get them to collect, flash BIOS and return than use the AMD kit.

Soldato
OP
Tried a random GPU I had (HD 5450 apparently) but that still gives no output.

Looks like I'll need to send off for the AMD kit, bah.

Soldato
OP
Return the board and get the B450 mortar max which is cheap but better quality and also comes with bios flashback.

Everything has already been opened and had bits plugged in so I can't see the supplier taking it back.

Annoying AMD have come back and say I must contact the motherboard manufacturer first and see if they will help. I then need to take photos of the actual CPU (well, it's got a massive cooler sitting on top of it). The email also has a list of qualifying CPUs and the 5600G isn't on there (only the 5600X) so I'm sure that'll be another argument!

Soldato
Post in the MM and a user local to you might be able to help if they have a 1xxx/2xxx/3xxx ryzen chip.

The 5600g is on the support list on the Gigabyte website too.

They will have to accept the return if you're in the window of returns, small chance of them having a 'restocking' fee or some bs but most dont bother...as above could just buy another board.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My Ryzen 5000 series build wouldn't POST without a BIOS update on B550 never mind B450, but it has a facility to update the BIOS even without a CPU present using a special USB port. Gigabyte Q-Flash Plus, see if your board has it?

Soldato
OP
I bet you wish you'd checked that first now huh?

Oh well, lesson learned, you wont do that again.

Hmmm well, I kinda did. I checked the motherboard website and saw it had been supported for about 6 months so thought it would be fine. I've done this many times in the past and despite all the warnings about having to update the BIOS, get a boot kit etc... it's never been needed.

My Ryzen 5000 series build wouldn't POST without a BIOS update on B550 never mind B450, but it has a facility to update the BIOS even without a CPU present using a special USB port. Gigabyte Q-Flash Plus, see if your board has it?

Thanks, that's handy to know that it not pPOSTing is the 'expected behaviour' without the BIOS update.

I've actually realised I have a 3200G from an OEM PC lying around so I've just gone to swap that over and the heatsink is stuck so strongly to the CPU that in removing it from the motherboard it's pulled the whole CPU out as well (with the socket locked)! Thankfully all pins appear to be fine but I now have a 3200G stuck to a heatsink that I need to pry apart!

Soldato
Hmmm well, I kinda did. I checked the motherboard website and saw it had been supported for about 6 months so thought it would be fine. I've done this many times in the past and despite all the warnings about having to update the BIOS, get a boot kit etc... it's never been needed.

Thanks, that's handy to know that it not pPOSTing is the 'expected behaviour' without the BIOS update.

I've actually realised I have a 3200G from an OEM PC lying around so I've just gone to swap that over and the heatsink is stuck so strongly to the CPU that in removing it from the motherboard it's pulled the whole CPU out as well (with the socket locked)! Thankfully all pins appear to be fine but I now have a 3200G stuck to a heatsink that I need to pry apart!
Always turn on the pc for a bit before you do something like that, will make the thermal paste go back to a soft compound, if it's been left a while, especially in this colder weather, it'll be like concrete!

And twist don't pull!

Caporegime
Always turn on the pc for a bit before you do something like that, will make the thermal paste go back to a soft compound, if it's been left a while, especially in this colder weather, it'll be like concrete!

And twist don't pull!
Putting it in the oven at a low heat, 60'c or so if your oven goes that low will soften up the paste and should make it easier to remove if you can't put the PC on to heat up the paste.

Soldato
OP

And twist don't pull!

The PC had been off for about 3 months and is the garage! Twisting did nothing (I checked about 10 times and was thinking maybe something is caught).

10 minutes with a hairdryer and razer blade and it's still not separating so I may have to rethink. Putting it in the oven feels a bit :-\

Soldato
The PC had been off for about 3 months and is the garage! Twisting did nothing (I checked about 10 times and was thinking maybe something is caught).

10 minutes with a hairdryer and razer blade and it's still not separating so I may have to rethink. Putting it in the oven feels a bit :-\
Yeah that will make the paste more like a bonding cement :p

Well I meant twist it once the paste is softer :D

Oven probably isn't a bad shout, hairdryer will probably take ages for the heat to be absorbed into the heatsink which is what you need to happen. Leave it on top of the radiator when the heatings on? :p

Soldato
These all sound like fantastic ways to destroy a CPU!
it's just heat, just direct it at the heatsink base rather than the socket pins of the cpu and you should be fine, it's not going to get to the operating temperatures of the cpu when in use to make the thermal paste loose. Or a low heat oven isn't going to do any damage, you never put a gpu in the oven to fix it? :p showing my age...

I assume the board is ruined now? You could try and rest it back in the socket and power on but would see that as more risky as you could then bend pins etc.

Back
Top Bottom