I wonder why us shopfloor workers weren't asked.

taB

taB

Associate
I reckon my bar (no precautions required) will have around 30x the number of people who visit my shop (masks compulsory) through the door today.

Soldato
Unless you live in a cottage in the Brecon Beacons or something, I can't see how this can be true. Whereabouts do you live?
Midlands. Public transport is rubbish where I live, so avoiding places with no car parking or a waiting list for a permit. One call centre I got the job I had to turn down as found out the car park has a waiting list. Everyone had to do 12-14 shifts every 6 weeks finishing after 8pm. Buses are once an hour then - at 40 mins past hour so don’t want to stand that long freezing and no parking on the streets nearby as either pay n display for a max of 3 hours or residents parking! The person I spoke to about the car parking said the average wait was 18 months- 2 years! I would have accepted the job if I was able to park in the car park from day 1.

Man of Honour
Midlands. Public transport is rubbish where I live, so avoiding places with no car parking or a waiting list for a permit. One call centre I got the job I had to turn down as found out the car park has a waiting list. Everyone had to do 12-14 shifts every 6 weeks finishing after 8pm. Buses are once an hour then - at 40 mins past hour so don’t want to stand that long freezing and no parking on the streets nearby as either pay n display for a max of 3 hours or residents parking! The person I spoke to about the car parking said the average wait was 18 months- 2 years! I would have accepted the job if I was able to park in the car park from day 1.
Would cycling be an option? Or a cheap commuter scooter?

Soldato
I used to walk to work, 90 minutes each way, regardless of weather.

Roughly where in the Midlands are you?
Are you old and crumbly, or can you retrain? I know some places looking for train drivers, emergency service dispatchers, domestic cleaners (good if you have a car), chat moderators, loads of NHS admin roles.... and a good number of remote working ones for various things - project offices, appointment schedulers to the USA, dispatch planners, entry level digital marketing - You wouldn't even have to leave your house for those ones!

Soldato
If you live in the midlands I'd be quite surprised if you live more than 20 miles from a care home, and they are all crying out for staff. Of course you'd have to do some work...

Caporegime
This just gets better and better.

Can picture it already...

"Has anyone ever fallen off a bicycle before?"

Today I fell off my bicycle whilst cycling home from my four hour shift. My feet were freezing because I don't know how to keep my feet warm and I got distracted when a car passed playing Christmas music. I was also turtle necking because I'm unsure of my gender and whether or not I can use the ladies' toilets as the gents was out of order. Has anyone experienced this before?"

Soldato
Can picture it already...

"Has anyone ever fallen off a bicycle before?"

Today I fell off my bicycle whilst cycling home from my four hour shift. My feet were freezing because I don't know how to keep my feet warm and I got distracted when a car passed playing Christmas music. I was also turtle necking because I'm unsure of my gender and whether or not I can use the ladies' toilets as the gents was out of order. Has anyone experienced this before?"
Brutal :D

Soldato
If you live in the midlands I'd be quite surprised if you live more than 20 miles from a care home, and they are all crying out for staff. Of course you'd have to do some work...
Care work is definitely not for me. Had to care for my grandfather and my mum in certain times and it wasn’t enjoyable. But not going to enjoy it more if I’m getting paid and with strangers!

Man of Honour
Down "sarf" every other place is crying out for delivery scooter riders. I assume that's the case up there too. Maybe look into that? All you need is a scooter (obviously) - just buy a used one, a one-day CBT course (£130) and some weatherproof boots, trousers, jacket, gloves and helmet (take a look on sportsbikeshop for clearance items). It's never going to make you a millionairre but it's probably a quick and easy solution if you really want to change jobs.

Back
Top Bottom