Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
@Freefaller have you tried fast.com set to minimum 30 connections.? This and torrents are the only 2 ways I can max out my ~1.2Gbps connection.
Monitor your connection in windows task manager while doing that. Mine sits at 1.2Gbps.

Edit:
Just tried it now and I’m getting about 650Mbps with 30 concurrent connections.
Honestly Virgin is a pathetic ISP. :(

I don't trust fast.com in the slightest. I've got 900Mbps FTTP with an internal gigabit network. Fast.com will very often give me results like this which is simply impossible:

Faksxfo.png

Associate
I don't trust fast.com in the slightest. I've got 900Mbps FTTP with an internal gigabit network. Fast.com will very often give me results like this which is simply impossible:

Faksxfo.png
I don’t trust it either which is why I said “monitor speed in windows task manager”.
I only suggested fast.com because it’s the most consistent way (that and torrents) of maxing out my connection speed when set to 30 parallel connections.
Although yesterday and today I wasn’t able to max out my connection speed.
It feels like it’s getting worse every day.
And no it’s not an issue with my home network.

D35258-AD-73-BA-4-AEB-A5-FA-BC0-D3-AE329-E2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Speedtest also isn't that reliable. I get really consistent results with nperf.

Yep I usually use nPerf aswell as it gives you a nice visual so you can see how stable your connection is aswell.
Unlike the many others which just give you the final result based on some sort of average

Man of Honour
Ok interestingly in router mode (still in windows) I got over 950mbps (on speedtest and nperf).

As soon as I go back to modem mode whilst still only plugged into the PC - I was able to keep the speed.

This must mean the router is not able to cope with it - or there's some setting that's causing it to slow down. I wonder if it's the DNS blocker I'm using. I might do a factory reset on it (though that'll be a pain having to redo all the IP configs, rules etc...) but I think that's the safest bet. I do have a vigor 2962 that I want to replace the LRT224 - it might motivate me to get on and do it! (it's 2.5gbe as well)

Thanks for your advice on troubleshooting, I must say I'm surprised I didn't think of doing it myself, I must be getting old, but I guess that's the joy of places like this.

Associate
d0292f607510054188395fde5b1ff0c739a7341f-13-11-2021.png

My connection suddenly started going haywire. Usual performance is the part of the graph on the left (12am to 6am), but then it went crazy and stayed like that through several days.

Internet performance was a bit poor, but I noticed the graph as I was replacing my router with another one (unrelated to this, took advantage of black friday deal and was upgraded to Wifi6) and wanted to take a baseline after I swapped it. Having power cycled the virgin superhub 2 (in modem mode) as part of the install its back to usual:

f05e7d31765fa77a66bc2b5c47ec537e2eb4c85a-29-11-2021.png

Something screwy happing at Virgin's end and the powercyle of the Superhub reset it?

Soldato
Unfortunately 50Mbps (which is not even stable for me and can drop by a lot) isn't enough to watch my Plex UHD video library remotely without transcoding.

I actually find 35Mb upstream fine for Plex purposes but I don't watch 4K stuff remotely.
I'd still like more upstream for offsite backups though.

Seems I’m living in the last place on earth to receive the Gig1 upgrade(Torquay). :mad:

Count yourself lucky you can get anything. Friends of mine just outside Reading can't get anything other than ADSL2 at around 37Mb - ******* ridiculous.

Soldato
I've just had my invite to replace my Superhub 3 with the new Superhub 5 free of charge, which is on an invite only phased rollout. Have taken up the offer as apparently it's a Broadcom chipset not Puma anymore. I won't be using any of it's Wifi 6 stuff as it'll go straight into modem mode.

Soldato
As I mentions a little while ago I have recently got an O2 sim to take advantage of the Volt bonus' that are now offered. If you've done the same did you have to tell either VM or O2 yourself or did the upgrades automatically get applied to your accounts in about two weeks? Had my O2 sim about a week now and no upgrade or emails or anything really to suggest it will he happening.

Associate
As I mentions a little while ago I have recently got an O2 sim to take advantage of the Volt bonus' that are now offered. If you've done the same did you have to tell either VM or O2 yourself or did the upgrades automatically get applied to your accounts in about two weeks? Had my O2 sim about a week now and no upgrade or emails or anything really to suggest it will he happening.

I had to tell both. Did the Virgin Forum and my Hub 4 (booo) is arriving today. Told O2 last week on the app and am still waiting for the data bump but they said it would take up to 14 days.

Soldato
Anyone else currently 'enjoying' VM's national TV outage? The backend services all seem to be down too (my.virginmedia.com and the related TV authentication services). They're copy-pasting all over Twitter that they expect the services to be hopefully restored by 'this afternoon'. So, a week on Tuesday. :p Plex to the rescue.

Soldato
So seen at least one confirmation now that the 1Gig service with a Hub5 does indeed support the full 1150Mpbs speeds over a single Ethernet cable. Seems fairly obvious that it would but nice to have confirmation.

If I can persuade them to give me a Hub5 I might actually upgrade.

Soldato
Anyone else currently 'enjoying' VM's national TV outage? The backend services all seem to be down too (my.virginmedia.com and the related TV authentication services). They're copy-pasting all over Twitter that they expect the services to be hopefully restored by 'this afternoon'. So, a week on Tuesday. :p Plex to the rescue.

I wonder if that could explain the issues I've been having today accessing one of our clients on VM. If I VPN to them, nothing web based works via either the IP address or hostname, although DNS seems to resolve and SSH still works. I was doing some work last night and it was fine.

Edit: Seems to be working perfectly again now, despite being iffy all afternoon and not having changed anything. Guess it must have been something to do with VM.

Soldato
I had to tell both. Did the Virgin Forum and my Hub 4 (booo) is arriving today. Told O2 last week on the app and am still waiting for the data bump but they said it would take up to 14 days.

Thanks for that. Just checked on the MyO2 app, looks like they already know about my Volt eligibility. App says something along the lines of 'Your seeing this message for 1 of 2 reasons. 1 your Volt is active or 2. You can't get VM at your address.

Seen as I have VM at my address I'm gonna assume its 1. So should be good in about a week or so now.

Also got a SH5 being delivered on the 16th

Back
Top Bottom