Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Dunno if this is the right place for this but.. I've got a Deco P9 mesh system connected to my new SH4.

I've upgraded to 1gig from VM during the summer this year and I'm getting great speeds connected directly to my SH4 in modem mode.

Connecting my Deco P9 to the SH4 and then connecting a PC via ethernet to the P9.. the speed drops dramatically by around 90% - have I set something up wrong? Why is the ethernet speed connected to my Deco P9 so slow? WiFi not much better?
Thanks.

Soldato
Connecting my Deco P9 to the SH4 and then connecting a PC via ethernet to the P9.. the speed drops dramatically by around 90% - have I set something up wrong? Why is the ethernet speed connected to my Deco P9 so slow?

Better in its own thread, tbh. That said, when you say speed's dropping by 90% - are you saying it's under 100Mbps? That sounds like your link isn't being negotiated at gigabit. Try a different cable and double check the negotiation isn't settling at 100Mbps.

Associate
Better in its own thread, tbh. That said, when you say speed's dropping by 90% - are you saying it's under 100Mbps? That sounds like your link isn't being negotiated at gigabit. Try a different cable and double check the negotiation isn't settling at 100Mbps.

Yes. I've connected directly to my SH4 with a cat6 cable and I get full 1gig speed. Adding in the P9 device between my PC and SH4 I get 88Mbp/s.

Soldato
I have a hub 5 tried it for about 5 mins before putting it in modem mode….lol…

How does this Volt thing work I have just taken out an o2 contract which is up and running and I’m on VM M500. On o2 it says Virgin media is not available in my area even though I have been with them for over 10 years ? Do I call o2 or Virgin tried o2 but after an hour on hold was cut off. It seems a right faff so far but considering VM are involved I’m not surprised…

Soldato
I have a hub 5 tried it for about 5 mins before putting it in modem mode….lol…

How does this Volt thing work I have just taken out an o2 contract which is up and running and I’m on VM M500. On o2 it says Virgin media is not available in my area even though I have been with them for over 10 years ? Do I call o2 or Virgin tried o2 but after an hour on hold was cut off. It seems a right faff so far but considering VM are involved I’m not surprised…

I got an o2 sim just over a week ago and don't have the Volt benefits yet but it does say it will take about 14 days for it to kick in. On the My O2 app it says something along the lines of 'Your seeing this message for 1 of 2 reasons. 1 your Volt is active or 2. You can't get VM at your address.

Seen as I have VM at my address I'm gonna assume its 1. So should be good in about a week or so now. If not I'll gonna give them a call

Associate
I've had to stay with VM, I wanted to jump ship to BT but after asking several people in my street how their BT connections are well 4 out of 6 were all having problems 1 person is on the 900mb package and only getting between 580/84 download/upload and this is on good days. I phoned up VM again and asked for a better deal and a very nice lady actually come back with a nice offer. She did say my contract was for the 500mb package (upgrade from 350) and I would wait for the volt upgrade to go through when I sorted my o2 sims out, which I have now they are in my name not the wife's, o2 were actually good with this as well they let me take 2 new sims out and cancelled the remaining months that were left on accounts my wife created without having to pay termination fees.

So o2 was sorted all in my name I was waiting for my new VM contract to come through it did but I was put straight onto the 1gb package not the 500mb package I had to check this with VM they said yes I was put straight on it so I didn't have to go through the process of waiting for the volt upgrade.

I am waiting on my o2 data boost and like you SpudMaster I now only see 2 messages not the 3 messages we were seeing before, so it does look like it's been activated and it's just a waiting game on the double data boost.

Man of Honour
I've had to stay with VM, I wanted to jump ship to BT but after asking several people in my street how their BT connections are well 4 out of 6 were all having problems 1 person is on the 900mb package and only getting between 580/84 download/upload and this is on good days. I phoned up VM again and asked for a better deal and a very nice lady actually come back with a nice offer. She did say my contract was for the 500mb package (upgrade from 350) and I would wait for the volt upgrade to go through when I sorted my o2 sims out, which I have now they are in my name not the wife's, o2 were actually good with this as well they let me take 2 new sims out and cancelled the remaining months that were left on accounts my wife created without having to pay termination fees.

So o2 was sorted all in my name I was waiting for my new VM contract to come through it did but I was put straight onto the 1gb package not the 500mb package I had to check this with VM they said yes I was put straight on it so I didn't have to go through the process of waiting for the volt upgrade.

I am waiting on my o2 data boost and like you SpudMaster I now only see 2 messages not the 3 messages we were seeing before, so it does look like it's been activated and it's just a waiting game on the double data boost.
I don’t think I’d ever choose VM over FTTP given the chance. Your neighbours issues are likely to be BT profile issues or complaints about Wi-Fi.

Soldato
after asking several people in my street how their BT connections are well 4 out of 6 were all having problems 1 person is on the 900mb package and only getting between 580/84 download/upload and this is on good days.

Yup, more than likely they use WiFi so they can't get the full speed.
I'd take BT FTTP over Virgin's DOCSIS any day of the week, there's just so much jitter and variation in latency with Virgin from what I've seen & heard.

Soldato
I don’t think I’d ever choose VM over FTTP given the chance. Your neighbours issues are likely to be BT profile issues or complaints about Wi-Fi.
I would just for the increase in upload speed. A paltry 50Mb is woeful when I've got friends abroad who have had 250Mb+ for nearly a decade for costs of ~£15.

Associate
Same here. I'd rather have 500Mb down and 80 up with consistent low pings than 1150Mb down 50 up with latency all over the place.

Man of Honour
Here's my FTTP connection:

45b27ca60d8ac8d4b90d148c0884f0e9f76ac0e0-05-12-2021.png

If VM ever get close to producing something similar they will be in consideration (I can get it) but as has been said they'd have to provide more upload as 50 Mbps is laughable.

Associate
I did have FTTC from BT for about a week after which I cancelled it.
Whenever streaming video even very low bitrate one like 480p YouTube I would have constant latency spikes to 200-400ms.
No idea what was causing it as using the same line but different provider it was perfectly fine.
My modem was syncing at 80/20

Associate
Sorry to burst your bubble lads about BT, but no complaints about Wi-Fi all complaints were hardwired. I was told a few months ago by an openreach engineer, I asked him can we get 900 yet his reply was no only 300 at the moment. He was fitting new boxes on the poles in our street one is just outside our house. I wanted to jump ship then but he mentioned about speed problems on the lines so it put me off, but he also said give it a few months let things settle then see if the speed issues have gone but they clearly haven't.

2 out of the 6 houses I asked didn't have a clue about their issues so I told them to enquire about it with BT, no idea if they will that's up to them but the others are waiting for replies not asked how long ago they asked I just wanted to see myself how it was working and in my eyes it wasn't worth the jump just yet.

Last edited:
Associate
The only bubble you are bursting is your own if you think VM network is better than OR. I agree BT is rubbish as ISP but there are others using OR network.

Associate
@ z10m Well it burst your bubble didn't it, I'm not saying it's worse it's just not for me at the moment you all thought it was WiFi issues well it wasn't so the bubble remark was towards that nothing to do with how better one ISP is against another. If the speed issues were sorted I would have jumped ship asap but it's not yet like I have said.

All ISP's have problems I have never had a speed issue with VM, I am not one for faster download speeds either I took the offer of the 1gb package because the offer was better than what I was paying for the 350 package £8 cheaper, £8 better off in my pocket with a slightly faster upload that I can live with until BT sort the issues out on the lines here.

I definitely want more upload speed it's what I need not interested in download never have been I am not moving to another ISP who are having issues when they have only had full fibre running in our street for a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom