Poll: Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2021, Jeddah - Race 21

Rate the 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The biggest problem for me is that Masi seems to have lost control of the situation. Red Bull and Mercedes are putting him in a difficult position, but Charlie wouldn't have stood for this. He and his fellow members of the FIA need to bang some heads together before next weekend then get some rules written out in black and white for 2022 (eg if you let another driver through, you can't then overtake him for another full lap).

What's gone on this season, and especially the accusations and whinging from both camps needs to stop. Nobody is winning and it's giving all involved parties and brands a bad name. Not just Marko/Horner/Verstappen but Wolff/Hamilton have been as bad. Hamilton's games have been much more subtle, but in the last three races he could have had three drive through penalties for not keeping within 10 car lengths on formation laps (twice in Brazil, once yesterday) and Bottas's games behind the safety car (same rules apply - 10 car lengths) before the red flag wasn't even noted (hurt Norris particularly and might have stopped Verstappen pitting).
Honestly watching the highlights last night made me cringe. It was like two primary school kids running to the teacher :rolleyes: This is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport FFS.

While it is a good insight to what is going on behind the scenes the FIA / Team radio comms have somewhat tarnished my view of the sport.

EDIT - Just realised that a double DNF for Lewis and Max would result in the title going to Max on number of wins... because of that one lap joke of a "race" in Belgium. Kind of sums up the season if that is how it pans out!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well it sure made for an entertaining race. Most seasons Lewis had it wrapped up by now.

Can't wait for this coming weekend :D

Baring an incident I don't see Mercedes losing now, Redbull have been faster on only a few occasions, otherwise Mercedes always have the edge.

The fact is on most tracks, Mercedes can catch and pass the Redbull, Redbull don't have that luxury.... Max couldn't even keep up with Bottas before the pitstop and Hamilton was able to stay with Max on a slower tyre in dirty air. If anyone still thinks the Redbull is the better car then they're deluded or trolling.

Soldato
See the difference between the teams is Mercedes have a no blame culture, win as a team lose as a team, Red bull have a blame everybody else and everyone else is wrong culture

Man of Honour
See the difference between the teams is Mercedes have a no blame culture, win as a team lose as a team, Red bull have a blame everybody else and everyone else is wrong culture
RBR seem to change their rhetoric when it suits them. You can't race like that (Silverstone) or just let them race (Brazil).

Soldato
Every sport has its rules and when you break them you should be punished. Most people don't like to watch people winning by cheating but each to their own. If you think thats what makes an elite sportsperson then that's a bit sad. Being massively competitive and driven is one thing, cheating is another. Max is straight up cheating and getting away with it.

Well put.

It was exactly this that stopped me watching BTCC and sours my enthusiasm for F1 too.

Soldato
"RBR seem to change their rhetoric when it suits them. You can't race like that (Silverstone) or just let them race (Brazil)."

Both circumstances were vasty different because of the speeds involved so there is no comparison. I hope we see much of the same next week as it certainly makes the races more interesting and anything that winds up the Lewis fanboys is always a bonus...

Soldato
I'm so surprised everyone's being so hard on Max. What is the guy expected to do

Not try to straight line a chicane (from behind going into T1) then rejoin the track aiming at his competitors so others have to take significant avoiding action and lose places (Lap 15).
Not brake so late he has no chance of reasonably making a turn (Lap 37), just to stop others making it too/passing him.
Not deliberately brake check his competition and cause a collision trying to 'strategically' hand a place back (later in Lap 37)
Not let a driver pass (after you brake checked them the first time) and immediately re-challenge them into the following corner (Lap 42) (IIRC others have been specifically penalised for doing this)

Additionally laughable but not Max's fault - the FIA then threatening to black & white flag Lewis for when Max tried to brake later down the outside and Lewis didn't 'leave him room' (Lap 43)

He made a good (great even) move up the inside on one of the starts (Lap 17) with his tyre advantage, took two places by being aggressive and bold in his approach but entirely fair, making the corner and not leaving much room for anyone to follow him through turn 2. That's fine, no complaints about that (well unless you're Lewis later in the race, then the FIA threaten to flag you for not leaving room).

Soldato
Soldato
Hamilton was also given a warning so lets not pretend he's innocent in all of this, they both gave as good as they got.... And that's just fine! :D
You need your eyes checked if you think Lewis's terms of engagement in any way compare to the absolute ****show, dangerous nonsense that Verstappen was pulling.

Soldato
You mean like when DR was there and they came together multiple times? Completely forgot about this one.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/ricciardo-bemoans-verstappens-amateur-error.html
I read your post and assumed you were talking about the other time when he brake-checked him. Nope, another evidence of dangerous/poor driving. Ramming it down the inside in frustration and taking his teammate out too. lol. The more research you do on his driving, the more the evidence stacks up. We should be comparing him to Mazepin, not Hamilton :o

Soldato
The incident yesterday wasn't a formation lap.

I need to watch it back at some point as I can't remember the exact sequences of things, so much happened. The point stands though - drivers have been given drive through penalties for it in the past.

Baring an incident I don't see Mercedes losing now, Redbull have been faster on only a few occasions, otherwise Mercedes always have the edge.

The fact is on most tracks, Mercedes can catch and pass the Redbull, Redbull don't have that luxury.... Max couldn't even keep up with Bottas before the pitstop and Hamilton was able to stay with Max on a slower tyre in dirty air. If anyone still thinks the Redbull is the better car then they're deluded or trolling.
Mercedes have been faster since their Silverstone upgrade (though we didn't know it at the time as their squatting suspension wasn't as effective with Silverstone's highspeed corners), barring a couple of races where they were more or less equal or mere tenths apart (Zandvoort/COTA, but have either conspired to throw it away or had misfortune (eg Spa weather/non race).

"RBR seem to change their rhetoric when it suits them. You can't race like that (Silverstone) or just let them race (Brazil)."

Both circumstances were vasty different because of the speeds involved so there is no comparison. I hope we see much of the same next week as it certainly makes the races more interesting and anything that winds up the Lewis fanboys is always a bonus...

I hope not. I don't want to see the championship decided in a court room. It needs put to bed at the chequered flag in this season of all seasons.

Permabanned
You need your eyes checked if you think Lewis's terms of engagement in any way compare to the absolute ****show, dangerous nonsense that Verstappen was pulling.

Hamilton was warned for his driving, fact... Get over it, he's human like everybody else!

Max is driving in an inferior car most weekends, so he has to be aggressive to maintain track position as they don't have the pace / straight line speed to catch and overtake Mercedes.

Soldato
I read your post and assumed you were talking about the other time when he brake-checked him. Nope, another evidence of dangerous/poor driving. Ramming it down the inside in frustration and taking his teammate out too. lol. The more research you do on his driving, the more the evidence stacks up. We should be comparing him to Mazepin, not Hamilton :o

That Azerbaijan one was just as stupid as the one yesterday with both partly to blame but for differing reasons.

Man of Honour
I need to watch it back at some point as I can't remember the exact sequences of things, so much happened. The point stands though - drivers have been given drive through penalties for it in the past.
The point doesn't stand as it wasn't a formation lap. They were returning to the grid to start after a red flag which is not a formation lap. There are no rules about car distances for this scenario IIRC. It's a loophole which Lewis is very well aware of and he used it to rile up Max/RBR and it worked.

Permabanned
Mercedes have been faster since their Silverstone upgrade (though we didn't know it at the time as their squatting suspension wasn't as effective with Silverstone's highspeed corners), barring a couple of races where they were more or less equal or mere tenths apart (Zandvoort/COTA, but have either conspired to throw it away or had misfortune (eg Spa weather/non race).

Baring in mind Max has been taken out by Hamilton and Bottas this season, it's impressive they've even level on points.

You can count the races where RBR have had a performance advantage on one hand, Mercedes have had a edge most the season but under performed on tracks they should have won on.

Soldato
You mean like when DR was there and they came together multiple times? Completely forgot about this one.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/ricciardo-bemoans-verstappens-amateur-error.html

You watch stuff like this back and everyone is giving him the benefit of the doubt, just young, misjudges it a bit etc. but it's exactly what he's still doing now - brakes later than he should because he's so desperate to get in front, won't realistically make the corner and the drivers around him have a choice - abandon the corner with him or get hit.

The only difference now is that more people have cottoned on and take the 'avoid' option rather than try to make their own turn and get hit.

Man of Honour
Hamilton was also given a warning so lets not pretend he's innocent in all of this, they both gave as good as they got.... And that's just fine! :D

A bit of a ridiculous warning, given everything thrown at him for several races without a single mention of a warning to Max. Brazil opened a can of worms.

Soldato
Hamilton was warned for his driving, fact... Get over it, he's human like everybody else!
I know he was. Tinfoil-hat theories aside, I'm just pointing out that what Hamilton did was in no way comparable to Verstappen's dangerous driving. Get over it, yourself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom