Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Definitely, I wonder what the comments would have been if this had all happened the other way round and Max was screwed by the safety car. :p

Over the whole season Merc had the better car and virtually every race it was Max vs two Mercedes drivers, they had all the tools at their disposal to win the title but the reality is Lewis has made quite a lot of mistakes this year, and the less said about Mercedes' strategy the better :cry:.

It's quite remarkable how well Max/RB have done really.

Lewis wasnt screwed by the safety car though, or Merc strategy. He was screwed by Masi's imaginary new rule.

Associate

I'm a massive F1 fan, but this is the first season in a while that I've actively watched every race. Prior seasons have been "Oh, Merc have the lead, no need to watch the rest".

I'd love to see the Ferrari vs McLaren battle though. Super talented drivers on both sides.

Soldato
Definitely, I wonder what the comments would have been if this had all happened the other way round and Max was screwed by the safety car. :p

Over the whole season Merc had the better car and virtually every race it was Max vs two Mercedes drivers, they had all the tools at their disposal to win the title but the reality is Lewis has made quite a lot of mistakes this year, and the less said about Mercedes' strategy the better :cry:.

Get a room you two.

The way you Max and Red Bull fans whinge this thread would twice as long. Though I think the comments would be the same. This site is UK based so perhaps there’s some bias though most people here are generally pretty fair. But lookong at social media, which is obviously international, the majority of comments are the absolute mess up Masi made of it.

Watch the chain bear video posted earlier. He sums it up well but basically this was a farce and sets up a dangerous precedent for next season unless changesa are made.

So you’re saying that Merc had the better car but Max somehow won more races even though he DNF’ed more too? Pull the other one, the cars were pretty equal and favoured Red Bull at the start of the year and Merc at the end.

And Bottas :cry: Now I know you’re trolling. Mr crash in to a Williams was against Max? Bottas only came in to play in Hungary and that was an accident. Outside of that if only Bottas was in Max’s pit window.

Soldato
Yea, people hating on RB are just blind Merc fans. Both teams did incredible work this season and the only failing is with the FIA.
Where would RB have been this season if not for the very convenient Aero change that massively favored the RB car design?
Considering Merc going into this season barley put much into their car due to the changes and just turned the engines to 11.

Caporegime
His radio messages are better when the race finished, as are a lot of them. :D

Indeed.

What is insane, is that Masi's decision meant that Daniel had no chance to fight Vettel, Sainz had no chance to fight Max etc etc. He literally put his thumb on the scale of the race with no thought to the rest of the field.

Honestly still can't get over how such an absurdly unfair rule was invented out of thin air to gift max the title :p

Soldato
I'm a massive F1 fan, but this is the first season in a while that I've actively watched every race. Prior seasons have been "Oh, Merc have the lead, no need to watch the rest".

I'd love to see the Ferrari vs McLaren battle though. Super talented drivers on both sides.

You aren't a massive F1 fan if you haven't got the dedication to watch every race in a season dominated by one team.. :p

I've been watching F1 for years and always watched every race as much as has been possible, and been through the Ferrari dominance, RBR dominance and everything between then and the current Merc dominance (at an end)..

Over the years, I've admired Senna, Prost, Schumacher as well as many UK drivers (Mansell, Button, Hamilton) and look forward to Russell/Norris etc..

But, and it's a big but, the thing that's turned me off drivers and teams is the 'win at all costs' unsportsmanlike behaviour. I do however admire any team that bends the rules and innovates, something that personally appeals to me and why for many years I respected RBR even if they dominated.

However, there is almost no defence to RBR/Max's year which can be summed up as "Can only win by nobbling the competition" and that's shallow, hollow and not indicative of a great team, or a great driver..

To be clear, Max is super talented (who knows, could be the best, it's impossible to judge), but that doesn't make his Panto villain demeanour endearing in anyway.

Associate
Going to offer the point of view of someone who hasn't followed F1 well, ever, really. On Sunday I got back from my girlfriend's place where I'd stayed the night, went to the gym and by the time I got home and showered, I turned the telly on at random while eating my lunch just to give my eyes something to do. Turned out the football wasn't on Sky Sports Main Event, but the race was. 50 laps in, Hamilton 11s ahead so I figured I'd just watch it while I ate then I could turn it off as the result was a foregone conclusion and I wasn't really interested, never mind invested. Then I saw the most unsporting ******** I've seen outside of the farce that was Atletico vs Porto the other week.

I've seen football referees chicken out of giving well-deserved red cards so as not to "influence the result" but this was beyond absurd. The job of sporting officials is much like the role of the leader as expressed by Lao Tzu "a leader is best when people barely know he exists", ie to facilitate the contest and not unduly influence the outcome beyond ensuring fair play. This was most definitely not that.

I know you guys love your sport but if this is the state of F1, you can keep it.

Soldato
Indeed.

What is insane, is that Masi's decision meant that Daniel had no chance to fight Vettel, Sainz had no chance to fight Max etc etc. He literally put his thumb on the scale of the race with no thought to the rest of the field.

Honestly still can't get over how such an absurdly unfair rule was invented out of thin air to gift max the title :p
I really don't think I ever will, I like many have watched f1 for decades and there has never been anything like this done before. It'll make great tv on netflix, but for many it changes the sport forever, I think we have to accept that f1 is never going to be what it once was. It is now a cheap thrills entertainment vehicle.
Don't get me wrong I shall still watch it and they will still try to draw on the history when they hype it up. But we know it will never be the true f1 it was.
Again I feel terribly sorry for the kids watching desperate for Hamilton to win, any sporting fair way within the regulations could be explained as bad luck, but not this. The message it sends is if you play fair work hard they'll still screw you over if it's what they want, almost a microcosm of the modern world. Tragic tbh.

Associate
To be clear, Max is super talented (who knows, could be the best, it's impossible to judge), but that doesn't make his Panto villain demeanour endearing in anyway.

Will still take it over another year of "how far ahead will Lewis finish". Nothing against Lewis, but their team is incredibly boring/clinical - the only redeeming season was Nico's championship.

Win at all costs has been around forever in F1, it's nothing new. It's a competition, not a parade. All of the drivers you mentioned were ruthless in their prime.

Soldato
I do wonder if we will see more incidents involving Max next season with his send it up the inside, go way too deep cutting off other driver approach(as seen again last lap of this race).

Other drivers only have so much patience with him and having to veer away to stop an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom