Police. Can I kick them out my owned home?

Soldato
They finally caught up with OP for his Trump/Biden obsessions! ;)

Seriously though, I think once you've let them step in to your house they are allowed to do what they want.

From what you said it sounds like your tenant doesn't have a seperate apartment of their own., so they will have your address. Once they are in they are in.

Whoever answered the door should have asked them if they have a warrant. Better still, shout out of a window and not open the door at all until you've established if they have a warrant or not.

If they do have a warrant then I think legally you have to let them in.

It sounds like they were searching for something.

They don't need a warrant to attend an address to make an arrest, nor do they necessarily need one to perform a search (although OP didn't mention a search anyway).

Soldato
They don't need a warrant to attend an address to make an arrest, nor do they necessarily need one to perform a search (although OP didn't mention a search anyway).

From looking up that particular situation it isn't straight forward.

https://www.stoneking.co.uk/literature/e-bulletins/what-right-do-police-have-enter-my-home

It seems to depend on what the crime is.

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/your-options/search-warrant

From reading the two links it seems if the police have an arrest warrant they can enter the property without permission. To get one seems to be that the suspected crime is an indictable offence or one that carries a prison sentence.

Soldato
why help someone who wouldn't come to your house if you were bugled?

Although getting bugled can be distressing (especially when you are trying to sleep) noise complaints should normally be made to the council.

What was your tenant arrested for? Anything to do with theft?

Genuinely curious due to the many hours I spent back and forth with Royal Mail trying to resolve the missing £200 ram kit I sent to you back in September.

This is the plot twist we have been awaiting. Let us hope that the third act delivers on this promise.

It's called "Rent a room mortgage". :) If you don't have this and they find out they can actually repossess the house and void your mortgage.

Is this a case for the noise police, the OCUK Members Market police or the mortgage police?

Man of Honour
Yes.

If the mortgage company needed to reposess the property, I think having unknown occupants such as tenants makes it tricky to proceed.

Thanks for that, makes sense I guess.
I’ve only ever applied for a mortgage twice, as I recall I asked for X amount to buy the houses in question, showed them proof of my earnings and was given the mortgage on both occasions.
They didn’t mention having lodgers to help pay the mortgage, and nor did I, as it was never my intention.

Man of Honour
Did you read your mortgage contract(s)?

That would be a big fat no, no doubt it’s something that you really should do, and maybe “renting rooms out” was in there, but at the time all that concerned me was getting the mortgage and moving in.
With my first house purchase I had a hot girlfriend who was keen to move in with me, so I couldn’t b.a. to read small print.
With my second house I was just anxious to shake off the dust of suburbia and get back to civilised central London, where there were 3 or 4 decent pubs within walking distance there, and unsteady walking back home.

Soldato
OP
police always act like they have the power and authority to do things they actually don't, they are experts at manipulating gullible members of the public such as your partner.

the more people like her the more they get away with it, so many police have attitude problems and think they are above the law.

Look at Sarah Everard as a perfect example of why your post is correct. The police, knowing that if we refused they couldn't come in, dealt with it in such a way that you feel rushed and half asleep so don't think but just let them in.

What was your tenant arrested for? Anything to do with theft?

Genuinely curious due to the many hours I spent back and forth with Royal Mail trying to resolve the missing £200 ram kit I sent to you back in September.

Nope. Also kind of hard given he works 10am to 10pm, and the postie signed for the parcel himself at something like midday iirc.

Does the mortgage and insurance companies know you have tenants staying at your property? (i'll bet my mortgage - no)

You owe me a house

the OP will have heard what he was arrested for so since he's not complaining about that we can only presume it's a minor offence

maybe he insulted someone on twitter

Of course. This whole "criminal" in your house that's going to rape us story is very clever.

Jesus christ this forum has become mumsnet with the random narrative creating about mortgage providers and insurance companies

Indeed.

From the sounds of this situation your lodger went down then wanted to go get something coat shoes etc, and the police followed them up to keep an eye on them. You could likely argue this with the in the hallway (obviously not if you just went back to bed) but expect the officer to say its for your safety

Pretty much.

They didn't need a warrant "hi Mrs op, we're here because we need to speakto/arrest MR lodger"

"Oh hes upstairs I'll call him, MR lodger come down the police are here"

Mr lodger comes down Ms op goes back to bedroom.

Mr lodger say oh yes ill come I'm in my boxers I was in bed can I put clothes on

"Sure we'll come up with you"

OK says lodger

Conversation continues at "day time levels"

Police and lodger leave.

Op heads to ocuk

Imagine how you got it bang on. With the only difference being the final line, op, many many months later, while having a general wondering, heads to ocuk.

Whoever answered the door should have asked them if they have a warrant. Better still, shout out of a window and not open the door at all until you've established if they have a warrant or not.

Yeah is how I felt she should have, but the worry at the time of someone being hurt is all she and I were thinking.

I know we could have refused them entry but they were let in voluntarily by the sneaky ways police will act which is all fine they know what gets the best results, I'm just curious to know, once in, could I have told/forced them to leave?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I'm just curious to know, once in, could I have told/forced them to leave?

In terms of kicking them out whilst they're serving an arrest warrant, I doubt they would comply - but they certainly would try if you simply asked them to keep the noise down, or if you requested only one officer to remain in the property whilst serving (unless they feel multiple are necessary).

Back
Top Bottom