iRacing

Soldato
After not doing any officials last year (was doing private leagues) managed to get 6 in so far. Fair to say it's been a mixed bag lol.
Few mistakes for me, coupled with not even making it to the start line after two people crashing ahead to a decent 10th place finish in top split yesterday.
After doing single class all last year I forgot how scary it is being in the slower class in IMSA!

Associate
I'm considering a return to the fold this year after 5 years hiatus. It was only supposed to be temporary but life seems to get in the way!

I'm looking forward to it, but not the hit my ratings will no doubt take!

Man of Honour

After a solid week and some good results in the Ferrari and Formula Renault series, I thought I'd give the Mazda races a go tonight. Yeah...absolute disaster x3. I was driving like an absolute moron but then so was everyone else. I'm steering well clear of it for now, lost over 200 iRating points and nearly all my safety rating gains for the week

Soldato

After a solid week and some good results in the Ferrari and Formula Renault series, I thought I'd give the Mazda races a go tonight. Yeah...absolute disaster x3. I was driving like an absolute moron but then so was everyone else. I'm steering well clear of it for now, lost over 200 iRating points and nearly all my safety rating gains for the week

Just watched mate, unfortunately that's rookie mazdas, it's just learning how to spot wreckless drivers and knowing when to avoid. In the first few laps, the first especially, you've gotta be tighter than a nuns nasty. Never leave the door open, always position yourself to defend, make them go the long way around a corner. If you position yourself on the normal racing lines for corner entry, apex, exit when there are rookies right on your chuff, it's asking for trouble. You've obviously got good pace hence the 2 poles, first lap or 2 stay neat, clean and tight then use your pace when tires and brakes get up to temp.

Don't be discouraged, Mazda is a fantastic little car, the racing is usually so much fun in them, plus it really teaches you close racing.

I'll be on Twitch mid to late morning if you wanna pop in and say hello. PCC is at Road Atlanta short, it's a night race too so will be good fun in multi class.

Soldato

Mate could you tell me what FFB strength have you set your Fanatec to?

It looks like your steering is so smooth for what its worth! And just wonder how you are able to keep it so steady....

Soldato
I know it's hard to simply say don't worry about IR, I sometimes start to be a bit too focused on it myself. As a rookie the main thing is learning how to race others safely, while starting to learn that sixth sense on how to avoid incidents. Pace/speed will come afterwards .

Man of Honour
Yeah I'm really trying to get out of the mindset of racing only for iRating and SR as it can really impact the enjoyment. However, with SR, I really want to get that to 4.0 to get the early promotion. I'm really keen to do longer races than the standard 15-20 minute races available in class D, but at this rate, I'm going to have to wait the full 13 weeks of the season to get that promotion :(

Just watched mate, unfortunately that's rookie mazdas, it's just learning how to spot wreckless drivers and knowing when to avoid. In the first few laps, the first especially, you've gotta be tighter than a nuns nasty. Never leave the door open, always position yourself to defend, make them go the long way around a corner. If you position yourself on the normal racing lines for corner entry, apex, exit when there are rookies right on your chuff, it's asking for trouble. You've obviously got good pace hence the 2 poles, first lap or 2 stay neat, clean and tight then use your pace when tires and brakes get up to temp.

Don't be discouraged, Mazda is a fantastic little car, the racing is usually so much fun in them, plus it really teaches you close racing.

I'll be on Twitch mid to late morning if you wanna pop in and say hello. PCC is at Road Atlanta short, it's a night race too so will be good fun in multi class.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Will definitely check out the stream!

Mate could you tell me what FFB strength have you set your Fanatec to?

It looks like your steering is so smooth for what its worth! And just wonder how you are able to keep it so steady....

XBCLxZA.png

That's what I use for the Mazda, it's one of the profiles linked in the Fanalab thread on the Fanatec forums. Ignore the fact it says it's for a DD2, I use it fine with a DD1

Last edited:
Soldato
SR is really hard in the shorter races, there's just way too many people racing aggressively and you don't get much of an opportunity to claw it back with the corner count. (This is a problem even outside rookies) When you get to the 40 minutes races in IMSA and VRS people start to calm down a bit and it's easier.
You just have to make sure your as clean as possible so while that bump with an idiot gives you a 4x, you don't add any off tracks to that number. Some people say start from pit lane to avoid the wrecks and just farm SR. IMO this is awful advice for new racers as you end up going up the ladder not actually being able to race anyone cleanly.

Soldato
Yeah I'm really trying to get out of the mindset of racing only for iRating and SR as it can really impact the enjoyment. However, with SR, I really want to get that to 4.0 to get the early promotion. I'm really keen to do longer races than the standard 15-20 minute races available in class D, but at this rate, I'm going to have to wait the full 13 weeks of the season to get that promotion :(

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Will definitely check out the stream!

XBCLxZA.png

That's what I use for the Mazda, it's one of the profiles linked in the Fanalab thread on the Fanatec forums. Ignore the fact it says it's for a DD2, I use it fine with a DD1

Thanks bud and what is the ffb set to in the fanatec software?

Associate
What is a good time on Summit Point in the rookie MX5? I've watched Youtube videos of people doing 1.20.somethings. I've tried to mimic these videos but can't get under a 1.21.8. Had the track changed recently because I cannot see where I'm losing over a second.

I'm less than a week into starting my iRacing rookie career for reference.

Soldato
What is a good time on Summit Point in the rookie MX5? I've watched Youtube videos of people doing 1.20.somethings. I've tried to mimic these videos but can't get under a 1.21.8. Had the track changed recently because I cannot see where I'm losing over a second.

I'm less than a week into starting my iRacing rookie career for reference.

Welcome :)

No idea on time, best bet is to jump in a populated practice session and see what people are doing. Every 13 weeks iRacing do an update that can include changes to the physics that can change times of cars/tracks. Though if you're without 1-1.5 seconds of the really quick times you're doing reasonably well.

Also, with rookies the main thing to remember is it's rookies :p You're there basically to avoid the crazies and finish races to move up in licence. So if that 1:21.8 is consistent and mistake free on multiple laps then you'll be fine and just need to work on racecraft/avoiding accidents.

Soldato
Basically what Skill said but to add to this weather makes a big difference in iracing. With dynamic weather you can go from one official practice to another and have your lap times vary by over a second so it's not too helpful to just straight compare lap times (without weather context) to be honest.

Took the lambo out for a spin in IMSA yesterday at Red Bull Ring. It's a bit off the pace their so wasn't expecting too much but another 10th place in top split which I would have taken beforehand.

Soldato
A couple of good races yesterday, well apart from a slow back marker in race 2 ruining my chance of a win. But solid gains yesterday trying to make up for the losses at Spa last week. Was good to see a familiar face from here hop into the stream also, cheers @Steedie. Race quality is a bit ropey, I hate Twitches very low maximum bitrate recording lol.

Back
Top Bottom