BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
I get the same, one of the gw's gives me a 4ms ping and the other 6ms. No real world difference to be honest though :)
It is for me, I have some VMs which are in the cloud (as I don't really want to run them at home due to resources) and I have a VPN to them. The application starts moaning if the latency is over 10 ms and the difference in gateways and the additional latency of the VPN moves it above this threshold. Not a major thing I admit as functionally it'll work but still annoying!

Associate
I think its always been a historic issue with Zen, plenty of threads of people mentioning it on TBB. One of those things that I have just learnt to live with, especially since moving to FTTP.

Not ideal in your use case scenario however :( The other issue is they seem to rebalance quite frequently so even if you disconnect to get the better gateway, in the early morning a random number of days later they drop the PPP session and cause a reconnect and you re join the lottery.

Man of Honour
Thankfully it doesn't take long to change gateways so I will just keep an eye on it. I'll re-evaluate when my contract expires in 2023 but I may start looking for another static IP based provider if Zen haven't sorted it out.

Associate
Hi,

Has anyone browsing these forums by any chance had any experience of Openreach completing civils/groundworks to install FTTP from the kerbside to their property when the property has what I believe is a rubber crumb drive? The drive to my property was installed prior to my ownership of the property but is of similar appearance to tarmac.

I originally placed an FTTP order in August and to date still have no service provision at my property due to Openreach failing to complete groundworks to install the fibre/ductwork to the property. I have gone back and forth countless times with BT (my chosen ISP should service ever go live) but have still yet to reach a resolution. After tirelessly pressing Openreach for an answer as to why they have failed to complete the civils work, Openreach are now stating that drive is a 'rubber' drive which is something that they wont complete civils work on despite having my permission to break ground.

Are they really able to refuse to break ground and install FTTP in this instance? I fail to believe that my drive is the only drive of this construction within the UK and should easily be excavated and re-instated, in the interest of being reasonable I have also explained to Openreach and BT that I do not expect where the ground is reinstated to be seamless and anticipate some difference in colour/texture etc to be visible, my only request being that any excavation is neatly cut and kept as small as reasonably practicable.

Any thoughts/experience in relation to the above greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Caporegime
They probably won't touch it at all as their teams aren't equipped to even attempt reinstatement of that sort of surface. If you lowered your requirements to them not doing the reinstatement other than filling the hole back in then that would probably be enough.

Soldato
In case people aren't aware, if BT have switched you over to Digital Voice you may be eligible for a free wi-fi enabled cordless phone:
http://bt.com/dvequipment

You should get a pop-up asking for your landline number so they can check eligibility, turn off your adblocker if it doesn't appear.

My parents were switched over a few months back but seemingly weren't told, it was only when I was having a dig around on the BT website that I stumbled across it.

Associate
They probably won't touch it at all as their teams aren't equipped to even attempt reinstatement of that sort of surface. If you lowered your requirements to them not doing the reinstatement other than filling the hole back in then that would probably be enough.

I have previously suggested that as I would be quite happy for that to happen with my intention being to pay to have some edging stones installed by a local contractor however it has still not yielded any progress. Co-incidentally, I have recently received a call from BT stating that Openreach require permission from the land owner to complete the work. Seemingly the next bottleneck seems to be that Openreach still believe the former owner of the property is the land owner and not myself despite owning the property since April 2021.

Soldato
In case people aren't aware, if BT have switched you over to Digital Voice you may be eligible for a free wi-fi enabled cordless phone:

You should get a pop-up asking for your landline number so they can check eligibility, turn off your adblocker if it doesn't appear.

My parents were switched over a few months back but seemingly weren't told, it was only when I was having a dig around on the BT website that I stumbled across it.

I was sent 2 free handsets as part of my recent move to FTTP

Soldato

Nice thanks, just ordered one, barely use the phone but free is free :D

Soldato

Can't be bothered signing up. Password for my BT account doesn't seem to work.

Associate
I've just placed an order with Zen, after tearing my hair out with BT and Sky over their FTTC plans. Are they decent still? The Fritz router looks alright but their costs for the repeater/mesh extension is daft. Need to find that elsewhere.

Associate
No complaints from me, always seem to get what I pay for 900/100.

That being said I do not use the provided Fritz router (infact I sold it for £100!) as I have a pfSense and Unifi Setup.

They are more expensive but they can provide the features that I wanted (static IP/IPV6) for a reasonable price and the guarantee of no price rises.

Associate
No complaints from me, always seem to get what I pay for 900/100.

That being said I do not use the provided Fritz router (infact I sold it for £100!) as I have a pfSense and Unifi Setup.

They are more expensive but they can provide the features that I wanted (static IP/IPV6) for a reasonable price and the guarantee of no price rises.

Yeah, this is where I want to end up eventually. I was thinking about using an Intel NUC for Pfsense but apparently the USB NIC you'd need is unreliable.

I'll probably add the 2400 or 3000 Fritz Repeater for now. What kit do you have? I'd need a smaller device, not much bigger than a NUC or three...

Back
Top Bottom