• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
Some of the reviews are just total click bait BS living in 2019.

MILD/PC World/L1Techs actually understand what the card is for 1080p Med settings.

MILD breaks it down well.

The whole GPU market is screwed now and low end is probably gone forever so all this comparing to MSRP of old cards is nonsense, it is not the reality of 2022.

AMD took a laptop design (this is why only 4 lanes and no encoding, as designed to be paired with and APU) and cranked the power up so at least you have an option to buy something new.

If you have a limited budget or don't want to be gouged you have choice of buying an APU, some overpriced used card or now this.

What would have been nice to see how it compares to APUs, experimenting with settings to make sure you are under the 4GB instead of using 1080p Ultra when its not designed for it.

3050 will be same old story - lucky people will get FE (if they are making them) them for MSRP or near that, then once the 1st run has ran out in seconds its scalped to death AIB for 2x MSRP.

Soldato
The problem is some of the whack choices AMD have made. Limitation of PCIE interface on 3.0 systems, lack of video encoding. These are just penny pinching decisions. When you add those on to the relatively poor performance, it’s the cherry on top.

3050 will crush it with it being 40%+ faster, full encoder support and it's not crippled in PCIe 3 systems. Yeah it might be £300 with a price hike but it's worth it over the brick 6500 at £200+

Soldato
OP
Would AMD's card be worth £300 if it had a better PCIe bus?

Cards are 'worth' whatever people are willing to pay for them. I would simply not be willing to buy a card with these compromised specifications as an 'upgrade' for an older system. It's worth very little to me. I'd get a different card that performs on par instead.

I might consider it if building a new system with an AMD APU, and PCIe 4.0, which gets round its major limitations limitations. In that case it currently fits in the £200-250 range based on performance of cards at currently similar prices. But honestly, if this is for a PC that can play newer games I just wouldn't. My advice would be if you must game on a PC, would be get a pre-built laptop with a reasonable GPU. If you want to game but the platform doesn't matter - get an Xbox Series S instead.

As for the RTX 3050 - it looks like it's on par with a GTX 1660 or thereabouts and supports newer features. But the prices are just painful for standalone GPUs now. That class of GPU is just hilariously expensive (would be lovely if they made £239, as nVIDIA are still suggesting) My advice would be go pre-built (laptop or desktop) or get a console for gaming. If you're an upgrading gamer stick to 2nd hand at the moment.

Caporegime
I have yet to see one but even if that were true they are designed around mining more than gaming.

Jesus, I thought I seen it all until I read this :cry:

Are you saying that all the people on this very forum and posting their confirmation photos in the owner threads are telling a lie? :D

Designed more around mining than gaming....

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

Caporegime
Cards are 'worth' whatever people are willing to pay for them. I would simply not be willing to buy a card with these compromised specifications as an 'upgrade' for an older system. It's worth very little to me. I'd get a different card that performs on par instead.

I might consider it if building a new system with an AMD APU, and PCIe 4.0, which gets round its major limitations limitations. In that case it currently fits in the £200-250 range based on performance of cards at currently similar prices. But honestly, if this is for a PC that can play newer games I just wouldn't. My advice would be if you must game on a PC, would be get a pre-built laptop with a reasonable GPU. If you want to game but the platform doesn't matter - get an Xbox Series S instead.

As for the RTX 3050 - it looks like it's on par with a GTX 1660 or thereabouts and supports newer features. But the prices are just painful for standalone GPUs now. That class of GPU is just hilariously expensive (would be lovely if they made £239, as nVIDIA are still suggesting) My advice would be go pre-built (laptop or desktop) or get a console for gaming. If you're an upgrading gamer stick to 2nd hand at the moment.

Yes in this sort of range a console is better, the GPU in consoles is as fast as an RTX 3060 / RTX 2070, which is a lot faster than the 6500 or the 3050 and you're getting the complete system for a lot less than building a very budget concious PC with one of these GPU's.

Soldato
I have to saw earlier I watched a video from MLID and after listing to what he had to say I have slight softened my opinion on the RX 6500XT. His point was that although the card price does suck it priced that way basically because of inflation as components to make the card have all doubled in price, VRAM is more expensive, TSMC and increased the price of a 7nm wafer and shipping costs have gone 6 fold. The bottomline was the days of sub $100 graphics cards like the RX560 are no more.

Mlid is a shill

Soldato
Yes in this sort of range a console is better, the GPU in consoles is as fast as an RTX 3060 / RTX 2070, which is a lot faster than the 6500 or the 3050 and you're getting the complete system for a lot less than building a very budget concious PC with one of these GPU's.

Could you imagine if Microsoft allowed loading windows on the Series X. Actually it's scary to think about because stock would be 10 times worse

Associate
Mlid has AMD shares, said it in a video while back.

he literally just said he doesn't have shares in that video. Even if he did, he isn't going to have many.

fact is the market is not the same as it was 2 years ago. Prices are up for manufacturers so their products are going to be more. Reviews are comparing the 6500XT to cards you can't buy anymore new and their second hand prices are much more than £200-220. If you could get a 1660 super new for £229 then you should get that. I game on a 5600XT and I don't have settings turned up to the max like pretty much most reviewers did. No one actually use a system that it would most likely be in so the results are skewed (they do this for all cards). The 6500XT is a product of the current market.

Soldato
OP
Could you imagine if Microsoft allowed loading windows on the Series X. Actually it's scary to think about because stock would be 10 times worse
I was thinking this actually. Microsoft allowing Windows on both Series X and S. Of course, you'd need to pay for a license - but in terms of value for money at the moment it would be staggering.

Soldato
I got hold of one of these today, the sapphire one at £225.

I was expecting it tom be really bad. However im pleasantly suprised. I only play fortnite and my 3060Ti was overkill so sold it today and picked up this 6500XT

Playing at 1440p Fortnite runs at around 90FPS on medium / high settings. Thats more than good enough for me. Thats on a B450 board as well so im guessing im only running it at PCI-E 3.0 speeds.

So for the price its ok i think

Soldato
he literally just said he doesn't have shares in that video. Even if he did, he isn't going to have many.

fact is the market is not the same as it was 2 years ago. Prices are up for manufacturers so their products are going to be more. Reviews are comparing the 6500XT to cards you can't buy anymore new and their second hand prices are much more than £200-220. If you could get a 1660 super new for £229 then you should get that. I game on a 5600XT and I don't have settings turned up to the max like pretty much most reviewers did. No one actually use a system that it would most likely be in so the results are skewed (they do this for all cards). The 6500XT is a product of the current market.
Costs are up like 10-20% at most yet the cards have doubled in price and everyone from the AMD and Nvidia to AIBs, distributors and retailers are all making record profits so this is driven by profiteering and not increased production and shipping costs yet those are what gets banded around as an excuse for these large companies taking advantage of their consumers.

Soldato
Costs are up like 10-20% at most yet the cards have doubled in price and everyone from the AMD and Nvidia to AIBs, distributors and retailers are all making record profits so this is driven by profiteering and not increased production and shipping costs yet those are what gets banded around as an excuse for these large companies taking advantage of their consumers.

Asus just made so much money they are doing this:
https://wccftech.com/asus-gpu-graphics-card-business-profits-crypto-mining-huge-employee-awards/

ASUS Awards Its Employees With Huge Year-End Bonuses, All Thanks To Huge Profits From Crypto Mining In The GPU Segment

Yep,because of massive profits from dGPU sales. Any genuine price increases have been massively superceded by the actual ones. Pandemic profiteering because they can.

Hardware enthusiasts on tech forums need to stop excuse making for these companies. I still remember the people on here,who defended Nvidia jacking top end dGPU prices from around £500ish to nearly £1000 with the Titan,because a convenient "report" was "leaked" saying 28NM costed more than 40NM. The "report" was "leaked" on purpose so that tech media could justify the price increase. The tech media itself can itself act as a marketing arm for these companies - for over a decade they have been on social media(influencers).

People like Gamersnexus,for example said they can "understand" reasons why prices "might" be higher but its irrelevant to the end consumer. Hardware enthusiasts are now attacking reporters who on our side. It was the same with game reviewers too - look at John Sterling,Mac from WAB,etc.

Companies no doubt only care for themselves,but in a capitalist system consumers are in it for themselves too. We don't exist to prop up companies,especially foreign owned ones.

Nvidia for example in 2018(IIRC),didn't pay any state taxes - lots of tech companies already get propped up by various governments. So why are we having to then prop them up again?

Many PCMR types mocked Apple fans,but the Apple fans seem to have more commonsense nowadays than a number of hardware enthusiasts. They pay RRP not beyond it!

The fact is that you have been for quite a few months,have been able to get decentish deals on RTX3050/RTX3060/RTX3060TI/RX6600/RX6600XT based desktops and laptops for under £1000. The reality is that companies see hardware enthusiasts as whales nowadays. Sony has literally said that they don't make a loss on a PS5 at full RRP:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/sony-says-499-ps5-no-longer-sells-at-a-loss

That is a nearly 400MM2 7NM SOC,with tons of GDDR6,etc.The AMD 7NM APUs use nearly 200MM2 of 7NM silicon but you can find these in el-cheapo laptops.According to "reports" keep saying GDDR5/GDDR6 was also the reason for more expensive dGPUs too. Yet,not only is Sony fine with PS5 costs,but Nvidia just announced the GT1010 is using.....GDDR5 and will have no DDR4 variant.

Most of these "reports" are leaked via tech media to justify massive price increases which outstrip any real ones. Yet if you look at the net and gross margins of many of these companies....they are making record amounts of money. Give it a few years,I would certainly expect the EU,US government,etc to probably start investigating a number of these companies for anti-competitive behaviour. Its happened before.

People at the same time are quite happy to chuck money at these foreign owned tech companies,but goodness grief if we need to pay more tax to help with services,or if something is locally made and costs more....no that is terrible. Its true when people say tech companies are becoming a religion in their own right - anything these companies do is defended. I simply don't understand people voting against their own interests. It's like some weird Stockholm Syndrome. I never knew hardware enthusiasts,gamers,etc are so weak willed and need to defend every POS game or piece of hardware released to the market.

No wonder games and the hobby in general is getting worse every year. People are just adjusting their expectations downwards whilst throwing money at stuff and they can't help themselves.

Probably why Mack from WAB keeps running out of Bells! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime

^ Yep. Makes me laugh when anyone even begins to justify any of this.

When prices go up ridiculously someone somewhere is making loads of money.

People need to stop, in any way shape or form, defending the manufacturers and retailers involved in all this.

You are all being taken for mugs.

Associate
It's just a ridiculous situation for gamers, I've been semi scalped by buying a pre-built recently but I'd got desperate in that I'd not had a new PC for a good 5 years. I also do have a Series X that is pretty good in the most part, but still a compromise overall Vs a decent PC.....but as long as Crypto carries on we're all doomed to this never ending circle of GPU manufacturers using the sector as a cash cow. I doubt they even give a **** about gamer's, the group who effectively bankrolled their capability to be in the position they are now to take advantage of the Crypto situation. But I don't think they'll ever lose, the consoles out now are as good as a semi decent PC, so games will still be made and a big audience to boot, so even if the day comes when Crypto either dies a death or moves to another way of mining, they still have a massive audience who they can sell goods to when us gamer's are hungry for a decent PC.

Back
Top Bottom