• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Associate
Not at all, most of us think that the fact that retail prices suddenly jumped up to match scalper prices was completely coincidental.. and that the 100% price increase is

thats not what i asked though. No doubt AMD and nvidia are making hey while the sun is shining. The 12gb 3080 is more than enough proof of that.
What I'm asking is do you think manufacturing costs haven't gone up? Because it seems to me like if suddenly the cost of getting all the bits to one place and soldering them together costs £50 more, the Last thing anyone who wants to make money will do is release a cheap card. If AMD wanted to fleece its customers they should just make more 6900XTs.

Of all the terrible things this card is, a cash grab is not it

Soldato
Not having the PCIE crippled and then it priced at £129 and it would have been a solid enough card for price to performance. Problem is the cost of it at the £179 was actually good in current climate and it is not good that companies like AMD are cashing in on it with a laptop chip. At £229 it is dead and you should be buying the 1650 for £219 new.

Associate
thats not what i asked though. No doubt AMD and nvidia are making hey while the sun is shining. The 12gb 3080 is more than enough proof of that.
What I'm asking is do you think manufacturing costs haven't gone up? Because it seems to me like if suddenly the cost of getting all the bits to one place and soldering them together costs £50 more, the Last thing anyone who wants to make money will do is release a cheap card. If AMD wanted to fleece its customers they should just make more 6900XTs.

That's far too reasoned a post for here, get out the pitchforks!

Soldato
OP

Actually yes, flatly I believe this card is a cash grab. I don't believe manufacturing price increases or logistic difficulties are anywhere near close to explaining the price this has launched at. This is a dirt cheap card to produce and AMD want to rake in more profit than usual while they can, aiming for the kind of % margin per unit that is normally only seen on higher end cards.

Really want Intel and nVIDIA to hurry up and get their upcoming cards near this price bracket launched. Actually ideally with some cheaper versions at 4GB (more vRAM versions too of course, but maybe there is something in 4GB keeping the miners at bay) to show up what a stupid design decision limiting this to an x4 PCIe bus was. The one thing likely to bring down prices at this level is competition.

Edit: I still haven't quite worked out whether it would be possible to release a 128 bit or more PCIe lanes version of this card with the same GPU. If it's technically possible, I wouldn't be entirely surpirsed to see a 128 bit or x8 version released in future.

Soldato
nest gen cards will have same issue, raised msrp, mining and scalpers grab them, we back to square one, and when mining either crashes or becomes very unprofitable just imagine the amount of cards that will flood the used market, it would be a pick n mix, their wont be enough gamers to lap up those cards for sure

Associate
Am I the only who is aware amd and nvidia are not your friend or wish to sell you a product at a price you want to pay.

They want to sell you the cheapest product at the maximum price. Anyone buying AIB cards at scalped prices have confirmed their business model works.

Soldato
Am I the only who is aware amd and nvidia are not your friend or wish to sell you a product at a price you want to pay.

They want to sell you the cheapest product at the maximum price. Anyone buying AIB cards at scalped prices have confirmed their business model works.
far from it ,pretty much everyone would agree, when intel arrive, it will be a 3 way price gouge

Soldato
OP
Can't wait to see everyone's excuses when both NVIDIA and Intel come in at higher than expected prices as well.
To an extent, if nVIDIA and Intel just release cards where they haven't so obviously cheaped out on manufacturing, that's a different matter. I honestly would not be whinging if this didn't have such fundamental design flaws. I know there's no time to go pouring over my previous posts, but I've never complained about any AMD card launch before. This is just a terrible card, with fundamental design flaws meaning it won't reach what modest potential it might have had in a a lot of systems.

Associate
Actually yes, flatly I believe this card is a cash grab. I don't believe manufacturing price increases or logistic difficulties are anywhere near close to explaining the price this has launched at. This is a dirt cheap card to produce and AMD want to rake in more profit than usual while they can, aiming for the kind of % margin per unit that is normally only seen on higher end cards.

Really want Intel and nVIDIA to hurry up and get their upcoming cards near this price bracket launched. Actually ideally with some cheaper versions at 4GB (more vRAM versions too of course, but maybe there is something in 4GB keeping the miners at bay) to show up what a stupid design decision limiting this to an x4 PCIe bus was. The one thing likely to bring down prices at this level is competition.

Edit: I still haven't quite worked out whether it would be possible to release a 128 bit or more PCIe lanes version of this card with the same GPU. If it's technically possible, I wouldn't be entirely surpirsed to see a 128 bit or x8 version released in future.

Pretty sure that's a no. Certainly Navi 24 was designed for laptops and doesn't get it's 128-bit bus fused off for the 6500 XT. Reasonably sure the x4 is fixed too. Makes sense for OEM laptop designs where they could pair it with an AMD CPU (nay APU - hence the lack of video codecs). Although which AMD laptop CPU has PCIe 4.0? Maybe this is for OEMs to pair with the upcoming Rembrandt? Very strange design choices.

Caporegime
To an extent, if nVIDIA and Intel just release cards where they haven't so obviously cheaped out on manufacturing, that's a different matter. I honestly would not be whinging if this didn't have such fundamental design flaws. I know there's no time to go pouring over my previous posts, but I've never complained about any AMD card launch before. This is just a terrible card, with fundamental design flaws meaning it won't reach what modest potential it might have had in a a lot of systems.

So what would you say its reasonable for the RTX 3050, £350?

Would AMD's card be worth £300 if it had a better PCIe bus?

Back
Top Bottom