BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I'm currently using an old Dell SFF (i7-6700) with an Intel 4 port LAN card, works really well and is able to route via OpenVPN at full line speed.

Have to watch out when you move to these higher speeds, especially as most isp's still insist on using PPPOE.

Associate
I'm currently using an old Dell SFF (i7-6700) with an Intel 4 port LAN card, works really well and is able to route via OpenVPN at full line speed.

Have to watch out when you move to these higher speeds, especially as most isp's still insist on using PPPOE.

I could probably build a fort out of the spare Optiplexes at work but they're just a bit too big for where the router would sit. If only there was a NUC with four ports.

Man of Honour
I've got a small PC I got for cheap which I'm going to use to run as a firewall as I am sick to death of the UniFi USG. I'm just waiting on some parts but I hope to have it running. Well, I'll probably put ESXi on it and run some other VMs on it, but the point remains.

Soldato
I've got a small PC I got for cheap which I'm going to use to run as a firewall as I am sick to death of the UniFi USG. I'm just waiting on some parts but I hope to have it running. Well, I'll probably put ESXi on it and run some other VMs on it, but the point remains.
I'm going down the QNAP QGD-1602P route as soon as they're available.

Man of Honour
I'm going down the QNAP QGD-1602P route as soon as they're available.
Nice, but quite expensive. I've got an i7-9700, 16GB RAM, dual port 10 Gbps NIC, motherboard, case and PSU for under £300. The case is about the same size as a 4 bay NAS. I'll use a spare NVMe I have somewhere and do some experimenting. Admittedly the i7-9700 is overkill, but I might put my Plex server onto it and other workloads. Or replace the CPU with an i3 and sell it on.

Man of Honour
That sounds like a really good price, where'd you manage to find that? :eek:
A guy on here I sold a case and WC stuff to for very cheap last year, he returned the favour and sold me the PSU, CPU, RAM, motherboard and case for £200. I got the NIC off eBay for £40 from memory and a £30 CPU cooler.

Soldato
How much is BT 500 fibre package currently, including special offers? I haven't checked priced for other suppliers in ages, and just checked on my Zen and I pay £48p/m for the Fibre 500. Not sure if Zen will continue with their no price increase promise though.

Soldato
How much is BT 500 fibre package currently, including special offers? I haven't checked priced for other suppliers in ages, and just checked on my Zen and I pay £48p/m for the Fibre 500. Not sure if Zen will continue with their no price increase promise though.

They'll have to is that is in your contract, I'd imagine that will end when the contract ends though. I don't believe BT when they say they are putting up prices because people are using more bandwidth. It just feels like they are putting a story around why they are justifying their contractual right up put up prices by inflation+3%. Nearly all of the providers have these clauses now.

Soldato
LOL - just checked renewal price in June on my 900/100 package, they want £85/month but if I renew now, it's 'discounted' to £70 - currently paying £55.

Sky only want £42 for the same package, also a company called Cuckoo i've never heard of before popping up on comparison sites at around £50.

Soldato
Moved over to CF today and can finally say good riddance to VM:

Can't fault their customer service and the experience thus far, especially for £25p/m

If anyone in London who is looking to join let me know, got some referral codes going :)

Caporegime
Apologies, it's a 500 package but looking back at my usage over last year and a half, 500 is more than adequate.

However the price hike that BT are doing is almost laughable.
I do have a discount available on Sky Broadband services but I must admit I'm unsure about the pricing for the Ultrafast 500 package. Send me a trust message or start a conversation if you'd like one.

Associate
Seeing all these price rises makes me glad I paid more at the start for my FTTP and went with Zen.

As others have alluded though I wonder how long they will keep the price for life guarantee for new customers.

Back
Top Bottom