BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
145mbps will be fttp, think fttc caps out at at 70-80.

for me they installed an ONT inside near where the router is located, that needed a regular UK plug to work. Ethernet from that to the router.

I am not sure what kind of router Sky give as I have a BT homehub and am with BT.

Thanks.

Just so I'm clear, will there be a wallbox with fibre output. Fibre cable into a mains powered ont. Ethernet out from ont into a wan port on the router.

rp2000

Associate
If you see an Openreach guy about best ask him if your house is included. When Virgin Media installed their fibre on our estate they missed myself and my neighbour as we have a private shared drive about 15 metres to the house and because of this they didnt lay the cable or access point on the pavement at the end of the drive. So basically if you have a "non standard" layout or access to the road they just miss you out and dont even ask you or give you an alternative. Months later get Virgin ringing up and visiting our door asking if we want to sign up to Virgin cable then when you point out they didnt actually lay it to connect up they just dont want to know. Its like we are in an island off limits. We havent got FTTP in our area yet and I would like it but I`m not looking forward to what Openreach do or not do hopefully as we have FTTC it should be fine.

Just checked this website https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband and we are in the April 22 to 2025 area so need to keep an eye out.
April 2021 and April 2024 here.

There is a telephone wire from the pole across the road that goes to my house but it's otherwise disconnected. I expect the previous owner just used a Virgin Media phone line via the cable connection.

Soldato
Non techhie family member is getting sky ultrafast 1. Existing provider was talktalk and it's a 65mbps fttc connection. Just connected via a BT mastersocket.

Is sky ultrafast 1 fttp? I think it is as it's a 145mbps package which seems too fast for fttc but I'm out of touch with UK broadband for the last 10 years!

Can anyone who has a similar package give me an idea of what BT openreach install in your home and also what sort of router sky will send them to connect with?

rp2000

Yup that's definitely FTTP. OR will fit an ONT which converts the fibre to an ethernet port, it's a pretty small box. They are usually somewhat flexible to where you put the box but it's usually somewhere near where the fibre runs up to the house near a power socket. That will then connect to the Sky Hub, which reviews quite well but I don't use it. I'm on the 500Mb package and it's been flawless so far.

Caporegime
Yup that's definitely FTTP. OR will fit an ONT which converts the fibre to an ethernet port, it's a pretty small box. They are usually somewhat flexible to where you put the box but it's usually somewhere near where the fibre runs up to the house near a power socket. That will then connect to the Sky Hub, which reviews quite well but I don't use it. I'm on the 500Mb package and it's been flawless so far.

Thanks both.

rp2000

Soldato
April 2021 and April 2024 here.

There is a telephone wire from the pole across the road that goes to my house but it's otherwise disconnected. I expect the previous owner just used a Virgin Media phone line via the cable connection.

On Saturday saw some Openreach engineers laying new piping/trunking although it was the next exchange over so might be getting closer.

Associate
Just checked this website https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband and we are in the April 22 to 2025 area so need to keep an eye out.

My area shows build process currently complete and has done for almost 2 years. Been chasing openreach for over a year and they keep giving me dates several months into the future, after taking 2 months for a project manager to reply.

At this rate cityfibre may make there way to my street before OR.

Soldato
So I enquired to Openreach about my conflicting information on the FTTP rollout site.

They've now got back to me at last, to say that, because the existing copper in my road is "Direct in ground" or some such, they won't be able to provide FTTP.
There's the predictable spiel about looking at alternatives and options etc but basically I take that to mean there'll be no FTTP in my street for basically ever.

Great.

Soldato
They’ll have to do it eventually but it basically involves digging up the street and putting ducts in. You’ll be last in the list as the amount of resources needed is huge compared to doing elsewhere where there are ducts already in place.

Permabanned
I made a thread for this but realised I might have more luck in this thread.

I live in the Durham area of England and I am currently with BT FTTC. I only pay £25 for 72mbps and openreach FTTP is years off but today I got a flyer to say YouFibre is here at 1000mbps and its £40 for the mesh system as well. You can get the first 3 month free but I have ages left with BT so I would have to have 2 lines into my premises for around 14 month with is live-able given its £60 for fibre 900 with BT anyways.

My question is though, if I got YF installed and cancelled would that mean there was an active fttp line that BT could then activate and take over?

Caporegime
I made a thread for this but realised I might have more luck in this thread.

I live in the Durham area of England and I am currently with BT FTTC. I only pay £25 for 72mbps and openreach FTTP is years off but today I got a flyer to say YouFibre is here at 1000mbps and its £40 for the mesh system as well. You can get the first 3 month free but I have ages left with BT so I would have to have 2 lines into my premises for around 14 month with is live-able given its £60 for fibre 900 with BT anyways.

My question is though, if I got YF installed and cancelled would that mean there was an active fttp line that BT could then activate and take over?
No, as Youfibre aren;t Openreach and BT don't use any infrastructure than Openreach's.

Man of Honour
It's worth approaching BT to see what they would charge you to end your contract early. It may end up being less than what you'd pay over the contract term. Either that, or get a dual WAN router and enjoy having a backup connection.

Soldato
Is it possible to get a FTTC line with no packet loss at all? Or, does this only occur on the shortest lines? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I think my street cabinet is at least 500m away, but apparently isn't where I thought (there's 2 in my street).

How would a BT Engineer go about fixing constant packet loss on a FTTC line?

I had another thread earlier to discuss this earlier (amongst other things), but I think it's fair to say that it wasn't well received.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Because you are using a test which most people on here think is a load of nonsense. And you’ve posted a new thread with the same variation of question 4-5 times.

Set up a Think Broadband Monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
You want reliable data to go off before changing anything. Install SmokePing on a docker container or use TBB monitor as mentioned already.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Is the packet loss causing issues, or is it a case that because you have something telling you it's there you want it reduced?

Back
Top Bottom