Plug socket in water

Soldato
If you bought a brand new home would you expect the electrical sockets to be chopped into the wall or thrown into kitchen cupboards?
I rest my case.

I did buy a brand new house, and they were fitted similarly to Peerzy's photo.

So not sure what case you're resting, it sounds like you actually have no idea.

Soldato
If you bought a brand new home would you expect the electrical sockets to be chopped into the wall or thrown into kitchen cupboards?
I rest my case.

It depends on what the plug socket is doing.

E.g. is it for something which is in the cupboard like a water softener or hot water tap? Then yes you’d want the socket in the cupboard, probably by the sink!

Even the instruction book for the integrated dishwater I have says it’s plug should be passed though to an adjacent cupboard to be plugged in.

Soldato
I rest my case.
I'd expect them to follow reg 530.4.2 which clearly states they:

are securely fixed to rigid parts of the units that are not demountable or otherwise liable to be disturbed in normal service.

Soldato
Exactly what I said:

Sockets should also be easily accessible. If appliances such as fridges, dishwashers and washing machines are fitted under worktops, getting to sockets may be difficult. Ideally, these appliances should be controlled by a switched fuse connection unit mounted above the worktop where you can reach it easily.

Soldato
Are you actually an electrician?
It’s not a complicated question.
https://www.procertssoftware.com/blog/local-isolation-for-kitchen-appliances/?amp=1
Honestly give yourself a break. The very website you've just linked to quotes what I said:

Can accessories and electrical equipment such as socket-outlets and under cabinet lighting be fixed to kitchen units?

Yes, provided that they are securely fixed to rigid parts of the units that are not demountable or otherwise liable to be disturbed in normal service. However, care must be taken to comply with all the relevant requirements of BS 7671, including accessibility for inspection, testing and maintenance, and provision of adequate protection against damage (by impact or water for example) for the accessories, equipment and associated wiring. Regulation number(s): 530.4.2

Soldato
The socket should be a hard wired appliance type socket mounted on the wall behind the appliance. Above this at the above counter level with other sockets should be a switched fused spur or a fused switch on a switch panel with other appliance switches. This way if the fuse should blow it's not on the appliance plug because there isn't one, the fuse would blow on one of the above places so that you can get to it easily. Anything else is just a bodge. Having the appliance actually plugged in to a non switched socket is also passable but not as good since you'd have to drag the appliance out if the plug fuse blew.

Soldato
The socket should be a hard wired appliance type socket mounted on the wall behind the appliance. Above this at the above counter level with other sockets should be a switched fused spur or a fused switch on a switch panel with other appliance switches. This way if the fuse should blow it's not on the appliance plug because there isn't one, the fuse would blow on one of the above places so that you can get to it easily. Anything else is just a bodge. Having the appliance actually plugged in to a non switched socket is also passable but not as good since you'd have to drag the appliance out if the plug fuse blew.

Thank you.
I’m genuinely getting tired of this forum

Back
Top Bottom