• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Soldato
OP
Hold up....

I don't recall any "high end" Polaris were not high end but very capable... cards... I don't recall any low end GPU coming near a flagship in any lineup until around 4 generations later or so.

Closest card was the 750 Ti to the GTX 480 which still the GTX 480 beat it soundly.

The true low end of the 700 series though were the GTX 750 and GT 740.

The 650 Ti BOOST edition was even faster than the 750 Ti and did not beat the 480 but was right at it's heels, this BOOST edition is the earliest inception of a "Super" if I have ever seen one.

There was a stagnation period when the GTX760/R9 280 sorted of price matched each other. The GTX960 was not much faster,and the R9 285/R9 380 was in the same boat. However,for a few months the R9 290 pricing collapsed just before the R9 390 was launched to around £180~£200 for the best models,so if you could deal with the card,it was a better deal than a similarly priced GTX960/R9 285.

The RX480/GTX1060 sort of matched/beat the R9 390/GTX970 but the only issue is the UK exchange rates went a bit south in summer 2016(down 20%),so in terms of savings it wasn't as dramatic as the USD comparison was(for instance I remember a mate buying a Powercolor R9 390 for £240~£250 in 2015 and an AIB RX480 8GB was about the same price,but if exchange rates hadn't dipped than would have made the RX480 8GB £200ish over here).

But since then the performance improvements haven't been great. The GTX1660 Super was not too bad close to £200ish,and then there was the odd GTX1070 and V56 deal dropping down to there. There were a few RTX2060/RX5600XT/RX5700 cards which dipped under £300,but not that close to £200.

At least that is what I saw when helping mates out. YMMV.

@CAT-THE-FIFTH
I doubt any of you would even touch an RX6500XT or RTX3050 with a bargepole.

I got one:p, and I'm about to try it with a i5 11400, 16gb 32000mhz ram and pcie gen 4 hopefully

:p But I don't see you trying to say its the best thing since sliced bread,and the issue is if this is your main dGPU its hardly an upgrade over previous generations. This is the dilemma I have with mates who have 2016~2018 GTX1060/RX470/RX480/RX580 dGPUs,basically nothing under £300 is really worth buying even at RRP.

Soldato
There was a stagnation period when the GTX760/R9 280 sorted of price matched each other. The GTX960 was not much faster,and the R9 285/R9 380 was in the same boat. However,for a few months the R9 290 pricing collapsed just before the R9 390 was launched to around £180~£200 for the best models,so if you could deal with the card,it was a better deal than a similarly priced GTX960/R9 285.

The RX480/GTX1060 sort of matched/beat the R9 390/GTX970 but the only issue is the UK exchange rates went a bit south in summer 2016(down 20%),so in terms of savings it wasn't as dramatic as the USD comparison was(for instance I remember a mate buying a Powercolor R9 390 for £240~£250 and an AIB RX480 8GB was about the same price).

But since then the performance improvements haven't been great. The GTX1660 Super was not too bad close to £200ish,and the odd GTX1070 and V56 deal dropping down to there.

:p But I don't see you trying to say its the best thing since sliced bread,and the issue is if this is your main dGPU its hardly an upgrade over previous generations. This is the dilemma I have with mates who have 2016~2018 GTX1060/RX470/RX480/RX580 dGPUs,basically nothing under £300 is really worth buying even at RRP.

Oh its an absolute howler mate, the thing is, atm (3050 aside) its all there is if you wanna buy new at that price point, and also all s/h cards are more expensive/older. Bottom line as a part time pc builder, its a no brainer, PROVIDING the price doesn't go up too far ( fat chance of that happening with people's opinions as bad as they are of it). Oh and most importantly, a manufacturer's warranty is worth shedloads to me, offers protection for the buyer and me.
It does what it says on the tin, 1080p light gaming, medium settings, 60fps, job done. Most people I build for, want to spend as little as possible, but are quite happy with the results. They are not enthusiasts

Oh and did I mention its a dog?

Soldato
OP
Oh its an absolute howler mate, the thing is, atm (3050 aside) its all there is if you wanna buy new at that price point, and also all s/h cards are more expensive/older. Bottom line as a part time pc builder, its a no brainer, PROVIDING the price doesn't go up too far ( fat chance of that happening with people's opinions as bad as they are of it). Oh and most importantly, a manufacturer's warranty is worth shedloads to me, offers protection for the buyer and me.
It does what it says on the tin, 1080p light gaming, medium settings, 60fps, job done. Most people I build for, want to spend as little as possible, but are quite happy with the results. They are not enthusiasts

Oh and did I mention its a dog?
Problem is that none of the RTX3060/RTX3060TI/RX6600/RX6600XT cards are that overpriced in many laptops or a number of prebuilt desktops. I have seen laptops with an 8 core cpu and an RTX3060 for £900 recently. Systems with a rtx3060ti or RX6600XT for under £1000. You can even configure the parts too. All these will have a full system warranty including RTB and a legit copy of an OS included. I would expect desktops/laptops with an rx6500xt/rtx3050 equivalent to be even cheaper.
It's why I basically have pointed everyone who needed a new gaming build in that direction now. Sure you can try for an FE drop, etc or hope there is a low priced AIB card but you need to be patient.

The pricing set by AIB partners, etc are really not competitive.Plus the issue is a console will be cheaper or faster than this DGPU or the RTX3050. This is another issue with casual gamers who might ask why their fancy new PC performs worse than their mates console!

Last edited:
Soldato
And a lot of that issue stems from the price of some of these pre-builds. I've seen umpteen videos from "GN" and "Dawid does tech stuff", etc, tearing a lot of these systems down, and its appalling the build standard of most of these systems, but also the quality of parts used (and lack thereof, ie: 1x 8 stick 2666mhz memory in a ryzen build that thrives on dual channel memory). Totally profit driven with shoddy workmanship with no respect of the customer/consumer.

Soldato
OP
And a lot of that issue stems from the price of some of these pre-builds. I've seen umpteen videos from "GN" and "Dawid does tech stuff", etc, tearing a lot of these systems down, and its appalling the build standard of most of these systems, but also the quality of parts used (and lack thereof, ie: 1x 8 stick 2666mhz memory in a ryzen build that thrives on dual channel memory). Totally profit driven with shoddy workmanship with no respect of the customer/consumer.

The systems I found for people which were from UK based builders. All using standardised parts - you could configure what motherboard(or brand of RAM you wanted and the config),etc and the build was mostly fine. So when you started adding up the price of the parts(all branded),in the end it was no point building a system,because unless you managed to find an FE drop,it was more expensive to build it yourself! So even if you had to do a once through with the build yourself(not that it needed to happen IIRC) to tidy some cables up,etc you might as well just order the bits you wanted as a complete build! Plus the fact there have been plenty of deals for gaming laptops. NOS RTX2060 and GTX1660,etc also on top of the RTX3060 ones.

The reality is that Nvidia/AMD and their board partners are selling us these same parts for a good markup. But obviously for a number of these companies it isn't happening. I still remember getting Ryzen 9 3900 non-X CPUs in bundles for nearly the same price as a Ryzen 7 3700/3800X with the same motherboards,and at times it was less twice the price of a Ryzen 5 3600(for twice the cores). It made me wonder how much AMD was making on the retail packaged models.

I have sad feeling the moment they see a "DIY PC builder" all they see is Dollar signs in their eyes. It used to be so much different 10~20 years ago!

:(

Last edited:
Soldato
And theres the difference I was alluding to. People speccing up their own systems, and if I was doing that I wouldn't be looking at low end components as parts of any pc I'd have. But again, at the lower end still further down the food chain, these cards are perfect, I can put a system together for a very good price (I always try to go for vfm and upgradeability) and use brand new where possible. Its now possible to build a low end gaming pc, thats upgradeable, good vfm, and using entirely new parts so therefore, each component has it's own warranty. I couldn't do this with a s/h graphics card, too expensive and no warranty.
In other words, a basic gaming pc that'll play e-sports games all day and "most" games like Fortnite, PUBG, WOW, etc at 1080p, medium/high, 60fps minimum (ish)

Soldato
OP
I could literally spec up a set of reasonable parts,and get it cheaper delivered as a whole PC and it shows the big issue now most people wanting to build their rig face - we are right down the priority list! You could argue about upgrading an older system which is a sunk cost,so yes its better than a GTX1050TI! But a GTX1050TI was rubbish even in 2016,as it was barely faster than a GTX960 4GB!

But it hits the problem of the PCI-E link being too narrow and causing more problems,plus many older systems have slower DDR3/DDR4 which is an issue too(remember the reviewers are testing higher end systems with fast RAM in PCI-E 3.0 mode).

We are in the intergenerational period between console generations. Over the next two years,more and more newer games are going to get more intensive. Even games such as PUBG,WoW,etc have all gotten big updates which further tax GPUs,and its most likely with MS buying up Activision-Blizzard I can see WoW coming to consoles with keyboard and mouse support.Most of the people I know who play those games already have had that performance for upto 6 years now because RX470/RX570 dGPUs were as low as £120 IIRC,and early 2020,NOS ones were being sold by a Sapphire/Powercolor partner here for well under £100(100s of them,maybe even 1000s).

The issue going forward is all these games have been getting big updates which are making them more taxing visually. So someone who already has had an RX470 from 2016,has had it for 6 years. That performance has been around for 6 years under £200. But if you get that level of performance now,or a bit better how much longer is it going to be fine? I can just see the RX6500XT being replaced relatively quickly once it starts to struggle in more and more games,or someone replaces their old 1080p monitor with a newer one(high refresh rate or higher resolution).

To a lesser degree it also affects the RTX3050 which is another performance stagnation. I have a feeling people are going to buy these dGPUs and within a year or two start to feel disappointed with their purchases.

Last edited:
Soldato
I could literally spec up a set of reasonable parts,and get it cheaper delivered as a whole PC and it shows the big issue now most people wanting to build their rig face - we are right down the priority list! You could argue about upgrading an older system which is a sunk cost,so yes its better than a GTX1050TI! But a GTX1050TI was rubbish even in 2016,as it was barely faster than a GTX960 4GB!

But it hits the problem of the PCI-E link being too narrow and causing more problems,plus many older systems have slower DDR3/DDR4 which is an issue too(remember the reviewers are testing higher end systems with fast RAM in PCI-E 3.0 mode).

We are in the intergenerational period between console generations. Over the next two years,more and more newer games are going to get more intensive. Even games such as PUBG,WoW,etc have all gotten big updates which further tax GPUs,and its most likely with MS buying up Activision-Blizzard I can see WoW coming to consoles with keyboard and mouse support.Most of the people I know who play those games already have had that performance for upto 6 years now because RX470/RX570 dGPUs were as low as £120 IIRC,and early 2020,NOS ones were being sold by a Sapphire/Powercolor partner here for well under £100(100s of them,maybe even 1000s).

The issue going forward is all these games have been getting big updates which are making them more taxing visually. So someone who already has had an RX470 from 2016,has had it for 6 years. That performance has been around for 6 years under £200. But if you get that level of performance now,or a bit better how much longer is it going to be fine? I can just see the RX6500XT being replaced relatively quickly once it starts to struggle in more and more games,or someone replaces their old 1080p monitor with a newer one(high refresh rate or higher resolution).

To a lesser degree it also affects the RTX3050 which is another performance stagnation. I have a feeling people are going to buy these dGPUs and within a year or two start to feel disappointed with their purchases.

I totally agree with you about the consoles, stick mouse and keyboard support, even at a later date, a cut down version of windows, and you've got very cheap pc that'll play most of the games you'd want to, happy days for all!

Soldato
OP
I totally agree with you about the consoles, stick mouse and keyboard support, even at a later date, a cut down version of windows, and you've got very cheap pc that'll play most of the games you'd want to, happy days for all!

Surprised MS hasn't gone that way already! The XBox for many years has run a cut down version of Windows with a different UI over it.

Associate
Don't think MS would bother. They make relatively little money on the actual hardware sales of xboxes, and would cannibalise pc sales. And the last thing they want is people being able to install steam on an xbox. As it stands they take a cut of all games played on the xbox

Soldato
OP
Don't think MS would bother. They make relatively little money on the actual hardware sales of xboxes, and would cannibalise pc sales. And the last thing they want is people being able to install steam on an xbox. As it stands they take a cut of all games played on the xbox

It doesn't need Steam - it just needs keyboard and mouse support on games bought through their store. For example Activision-Blizzard is being bought by MS,which means WoW would be owned by MS. Since that costs over £100/year to play,can you imagine how much more money they could make if they brought WoW to XBox with keyboard and mouse support? Both current XBox models would make very solid budget WoW boxes.The XBox essentially uses a downclocked Ryzen 7 4700G with Zen2 cores,so shouldn't run too bad IMHO,as the WoW engine now supports DX12.

Caporegime
WHy did they hobble it with the PCIE thing and only 4gb ram?

It would have a bit rubbish still, even with those two things improved, but with them it is truly awful.

Associate
I don't think they had a choice with the pcie thing, at least not once they had decided to use a repurposed laptop gpu. Its also why it only has 2 display outs and no encoder.

I genuinely think its a result of them going whats the cheapest thing we can make that will be resistant to the scalpers and miners that have taken over the market. And they succeeded... only problem is that its pretty **** for most gamers as well.

I was thinking about it, and if they had used a different chip. 8 pcie lanes, encoder, 6gb of vram etc. But still basically the same performance, just without the horrible drop off if you go outside the sweet spot. It would probably have still gotten bad reviews. Cos it would probably have had an msrp closer to the $250 to cover the higher production cost, and still sat about 20% behind the 3050.
And it probably would have gotten more interest from scalpers. So the street price would likely jumped up higher still.

Its all very depressing as I honestly don't see what they could do that would actually fix things. After seeing how aggressively the 3050s sold out its pretty clear that the market is still in a really terrible place.

Back
Top Bottom