• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Associate
All cards get tested with the same settings, it's called having controlled variables and is the correct way to produce comparative results.
While that is true and understandable, I do with the "what settings can I run with my old card questions" had better answers.

Almost no tech reviewers ever want to try to see what settings would actually work. A crude "Crank it up to max and run it" is what they do, whereas I know that certan effects (mainly bloom, motion blur, or depth of fields) get turned off by me ASAP but nobody ever guides me on what kind of performance I can expect with that stuff off. Or seldom, I think notebookcheck do test high as well as ultra.

Associate
While that is true and understandable, I do with the "what settings can I run with my old card questions" had better answers.

Almost no tech reviewers ever want to try to see what settings would actually work. A crude "Crank it up to max and run it" is what they do, whereas I know that certan effects (mainly bloom, motion blur, or depth of fields) get turned off by me ASAP but nobody ever guides me on what kind of performance I can expect with that stuff off. Or seldom, I think notebookcheck do test high as well as ultra.

We always have to wait for the smaller tubers to do the hands on gaming testing, i'm sure there will be a few out there soon with this being comparatively cheap and available. The day one reviews just deal with the cold hard facts :)

Soldato
OP
All cards get tested with the same settings, it's called having controlled variables and is the correct way to produce comparative results.

This. Why is it always when an AMD card gets dunked on,the reviewers are not testing it properly?

But when the same reviewers dunked on the GTX1650 4GB(saying an RX570 4GB was better),GT1030 4GB, the RTX3060,RTX2060 12GB,RTX3070TI,RTX3080TI,etc were all considered overpriced jokes nobody was making the same defence?

Most of those reviewers have had barely had anything good to say about any dGPU since January 2021.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm guessing he's just running at settings for 60fps min. Best case settings for the card.

How come none of the Nvidia cards get the same treatment? I find it really weird people are finding outlier reviews and trying to big up this card,and starts criticising reviewers. But the same reviewers which dunked on EVERY Nvidia dGPU release for the last year where applauded for their criticisms. It was the same with AMD jacking up pricing with Zen3 - massive defence of that. But when Intel does it - everyone rightly had a go at them.

Despite record dGPU sales,they are mostly diverting supplies to miners,then allowing AIB partners to charge what they want,and then also diverting silicon supply to other areas such as laptops and consoles.

So all we get is rejected scraps which nobody really wants. If people keep accepting rubbish like this and the general rubbish pricing have none of here learnt the bitter lesson? Even if supply improves,mining is less of an issue,etc they will maintain the high prices.

Some of us warned people against the doubling of prices with the Geforce Titan. A number even back then defended it because "TSMC 28NM cost more". Then we had Turing which people bought despite doing the same,and AMD joining and rebranding its Polaris replacement.

Now every release since January 2021 from both of them have idiotic RRPs,and even worse street prices. Things have gotten even worse than the Turing generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm neither in favour of or against the 6500XT, it neither totally terrible or great, it's just at a crappy price. So what's new really, aren't all graphics cards, AMD really should have released this with an MSRP of £139 or less, but we knew that was never going to happen.

If you buy one at £199+ then you are basically telling them it's ok to release cards like this, at this price, but then again what choice do you have unless you want to buy an RTX 3060 from Franks Computer Scalping Inc. for £600+

The 4x PCI-E thing is a bit irksome, especially if you are dropping this in a PCI-E 3.0 based system, but at the same time it is faster than a GT1030 which I've seen for sale for £195. :(

Associate
How come none of the Nvidia cards get the same treatment? I find it really weird people are finding outlier reviews and trying to big up this card,and starts criticising reviewers. But the same reviewers which dunked on EVERY Nvidia dGPU release for the last year where applauded for their criticisms. It was the same with AMD jacking up pricing with Zen3 - massive defence of that. But when Intel does it - everyone rightly had a go at them.

Oh, I was posting it just to give an example of a smaller channel releasing something with more real world usage examples, doesn't change the fact that it's a sack of **** :cry::cry::cry:

Permabanned
I actually don't think people should benchmark any card at ultra settings, or at least do a dedicated section where high settings are selected because comparatively we barely gain any visuals for a massive drop in performance in most cases.

Soldato
OP
I'm neither in favour of or against the 6500XT, it neither totally terrible or great, it's just at a crappy price. So what's new really, aren't all graphics cards, AMD really should have released this with an MSRP of £139 or less, but we knew that was never going to happen.

If you buy one at £199+ then you are basically telling them it's ok to release cards like this, at this price, but then again what choice do you have unless you want to buy an RTX 3060 from Franks Computer Scalping Inc. for £600+

The 4x PCI-E thing is a bit irksome, especially if you are dropping this in a PCI-E 3.0 based system, but at the same time it is faster than a GT1030 which I've seen for sale for £195. :(

Basically all the people I know who needed a full system upgrade since last year,I have told them to get a prebuilt system. It was the only easy way to actually get a dGPU such as an RTX3060/RTX3060TI/RX6600/RX6600XT close to RRP(outside the first week) unless you waited for an FE drop or got lucky with the odd "reasonably priced" drop from some retailers(well one retailer). My main concern is if mining slows down for a bit,and we get more supply for dGPUs will both companies decide to just keep the price higher for the next generation,and rely on the desperation so people buy it anyway?

Oh, I was posting it just to give an example of a smaller channel releasing something with more real world usage examples, doesn't change the fact that it's a sack of **** :cry::cry::cry:

The big issue is that anyone with a dGPU above £120~£140 from 2016 onwards its not going to see much of a big upgrade,and most systems are on PCI-E 3.0 which drops performance even more. Literally everyone I know who buys dGPUs in the sub £250 market already has gotten a Polaris class or Pascal equivalent dGPU. Even an RTX3050 isn't going to be much of an upgrade and certainly will be also incredibly overpriced if after one day the RX6500XT is now £230.

Soldato
OP
Who gives a flying fig about what DF says - they only care about raytracing,or DLSS and they still apparently fudged some of the comparisons.

However,a £200+ RX6500XT cannot even convincingly beat an RX5500XT(which was panned at launch when it couldn't convincingly beat an RX480/RX580),and needs PCI-E 4.0 which most gaming systems won't have?? Do some of you really even understand budget systems?? These include people still on older Core systems and first generation Ryzen CPUs. Even Zen2 is not that old. I know more people on Zen2/CML CPUs than Zen3 CPUs or RKL/ADL.

That is six straight years of stagnant performance. What is the likelihood the reviewers who think the RX6500XT is decent,actually only game on high end cards and don't actually seem to understand how stagnant the segment has gotten since 2016?

Plus 2016 was preceeded by the GTX760/GTX960/R9 280/R9 380 stagnation for a few years before that if you were more budget limited. You could get R9 290 dGPUs for around £200 the year before the RX480/GTX1060 though so it was not as brilliant as people remember.

Do you think of any of us think an RTX3050 is going to be a "deal" either? Even at its "technical" £240~£250 RPP,it probably won't appreciably beat a GTX1660 Super which could be had for £200,and probably not a GTX1070 8GB which could be had for around the same price when it went EOL.

So after 6 years,is this how low the expectations on this forum has?? This is the problem when a bunch of you buy super expensive dGPUs,and then think any old rubbish is fine for lower budget gamers. I doubt any of you would even touch an RX6500XT or RTX3050 with a bargepole.

Last edited:
Associate

That assumes the variables are suitable for the test. All these reviews show is that the card is not designed for ultra settings. A review should focus on its intended customer. I don’t use my card 5600xt on ultra settings because the card can’t handle it

Permabanned
Hold up....

I don't recall any "high end" Polaris were not high end but very capable... cards... I don't recall any low end GPU coming near a flagship in any lineup until around 4 generations later or so.

Closest card was the 750 Ti to the GTX 480 which still the GTX 480 beat it soundly.

The true low end of the 700 series though were the GTX 750 and GT 740.

The 650 Ti BOOST edition was even faster than the 750 Ti and did not beat the 480 but was right at it's heels, this BOOST edition is the earliest inception of a "Super" if I have ever seen one.

The GTX 950 soundly beats the GTX 480 by 18%.

If I move the goal posts slightly and count the GTX 580 as the true flagship as it really is, then we would be waiting 5 generations until the low end card could match or surpass Fermi's best. And that's if I dismiss the 1030 and only say the 1050 is the low end.

The 6500 XT comparatively here is amazing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom