The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Permabanned
Athanor said:
Sorry, added a few lines after you quoted me.

Ok,so now piracy and speeding are OK as long as you don't get caught, how about shoplifting?

Nothing said about piracy! Just that if i had a problem with the PC and i need to replace a few items then i would not go and get another licence. I would blagg my way to reactivating again. I bet almost everyone on here would do the same. I would begrudge paying again for another licence. Once should be enough!

Shoplifting is another matter. With OS, you have already paid for it. Then MS expect you to fork out again if you have hardware problems!! If you did a poll about that on any PC forum i bet most of the people would vote that they would try to get it reactivated, whatever.

Permabanned
burnsy2023 said:
If you wish to use software that isn't licenced keep discussion off the forums.
Can we have discussion of this stopped please.

Burnsy

Not on about software that is not licenced! I am on about getting the software reactivated! Where is it mentioned about non-licenced software?

I have said that most people would try to get the OEM reactivated. It is human nature to do so. We all would begrudge paying a 2nd time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
shuntfield said:
reply snip

Here's a quote from MS:
If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer’s warranty.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
pcknight said:
Not on about software that is not licenced! I am on about getting the software reactivated! Where is it mentioned about non-licenced software?

I have said that most people would try to get the OEM reactivated. It is human nature to do so. We all would begrudge paying a 2nd time.

I will say this only once more: If you break the terms of the EULA your licence is revoked and therefore you are running illegal software.

Now, please, no more advocation of piracy.

Burnsy

Permabanned
burnsy2023 said:
I will say this only once more: If you break the terms of the EULA your licence is revoked and therefore you are running illegal software.

Burnsy

Piracy? How is it piracy? MS have reactivated for me many times with the OEM XP i had.

Soldato
Ok, lets not go round in circles, but either way you look at it with the OEM license replacing a few bits of hardware is not a problem. Having a broken motherboard replaced under warranty is no problem. In fact substantial upgrades to a PC are no problem. Upgrading a motherboard and lying to Microsoft to enable you to use the same OEM license version of windows breaks the terms of the license isn't "blagging" it's using an unlicensed version of the OS.

The OEM version is cheaper because it has these limitations of which you are fully aware. Why not either accept that you can live with a couple of limitations in exchange for saving a fair bit of cash, or buy the upgrade version that allows you to transfer the OS as many times as you like with no problem.

Just because you can get away with it or rationalise it as "blagging" or "everyone else would do it" doesn't make it honest or right.

Last edited:
Associate
burnsy2023 said:
Here's a quote from MS:
If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer’s warranty.

Burnsy

Yeah mate, I have changed the original post, it also says in your quote, the Same Manufacturers Replacement.

So just to clarify if its replaced by the manufacturers direct replacement then that is also allowed?

Shunts...

Permabanned
As i said before, i will be buying the Premium 'Retail' Version when it comes out. I was only stating that MS reactivated my XP OEM many times for me.

Associate
Athanor said:
Just because you can get away with it or rationalise it as "blagging" or "everyone else would do it" doesn't make it honest or right.
What about trying to rationalise it by saying "Microsoft are charging us £100 more for it just because we live in the UK"

Amazon.com has the Retail Upgrade Edition for $259.99 (about £133.70)
Overclockers has the Retail Upgrade Edition for £234.99 (and that's a bit cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it)

And anyone wonders why we want to get the cheapest version of it possible?

Without wanting to advocate piracy (because obviously we all have more money than our American counterparts :rolleyes: ), I don't see how you can blame anyone for trying.

Man of Honour
OP
shuntfield said:
Yeah mate, I have changed the original post, it also says in your quote, the Same Manufacturers Replacement.

So just to clarify if its replaced by the manufacturers direct replacement then that is also allowed?

Shunts...

Yes, I have said everything in this thread at least 3 times before, so I'd rather people got it first time round. :)

Thanks

Burnsy

Associate
Mr.Clark said:
What about trying to rationalise it by saying "Microsoft are charging us £100 more for it just because we live in the UK"

Amazon.com has the Retail Upgrade Edition for $259.99 (about £133.70)
Overclockers has the Retail Upgrade Edition for £234.99 (and that's a bit cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it)

And anyone wonders why we want to get the cheapest version of it possible?

Without wanting to advocate piracy (because obviously we all have more money than our American counterparts :rolleyes: ), I don't see how you can blame anyone for trying.

Well said. Thats exactly what bugs me. I would like to buy the home premium edition but the retail upgrade price is £141 here. In the US it's about £80 which I think is reasonable. I think £141 for the middle of the road upgrade edition is absolutely ridiculous. I for one will be purchasing the OEM copy and if/when i upgrade, will BS microsoft in order to get it reactivated. Frown all you like, i bet the majority of people who buy OEM copies will do the same. The OEM price is reasonable, retail is having a laugh.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I agree too. MS are way out with thier pricing Not many people can afford the prices they are asking. XP is the most pirated piece of software in the world, i wonder why? If MS were more reasonable with the pricing of thier products then i believe that the % of 'dishonest' people would be a lot less. They need to make thier prices equal or maybe a bit less than the USA prices, after all, we are a poorer nation than them etc etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll admit to cheerfully using a pirated copy of Windows XP Pro until I got my legit Academic Version for £60 (Retail Upgrade. Woot!). Students are almost expected to, besides, we were poor... :(

That said, the XP Home came with my PC that I bought from the uni shop, and a year or so later, they got done by MS for selling pirate OSs with new PCs. So I probably had a dodgy copy of that too... :eek:

Associate
My brothers PC comes up with failed Genuine Validation when he has tried to install IE7 recently. He has asked me if he buys Vista upgrade will he be able to install it to become legal?

I looked on M$ website earlier today and couldn't see anything about needing XP disc. It just said stick the Vista disc in from XP and away it should go.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
OP
AndyMoody said:
My brothers PC comes up with failed Genuine Validation when he has tried to install IE7 recently. He has asked me if he buys Vista upgrade will he be able to install it to become legal?

I looked on M$ website earlier today and couldn't see anything about needing XP disc. It just said stick the Vista disc in from XP and away it should go.

Any ideas?

If the Validation fails because of the fact it's an illegal copy (and not a false positive) then an upgrade will NOT make you legal.

Burnsy

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:

Burnsy
Umm... I hate to be picky but which law are you breaking and what is the maximum penalty?
If its piracy then I believe they can only claim financial recompense.

.. just curious :D :p

As a result of all this pedantic nit picking by self proclaimed eula and legal experts, I've canceled my order for retail... oh and also the fact that oem is so darned cheap. ;)

Back
Top Bottom