ANNO 1404

Soldato
On the subject of planning - I find myself needing a lot of "AoE" buildings later on to please Patricians/Nobles. Due to the way the houses are layed out, I just find myself destroying houses in the centre of town in order to lay things out better.

Its very difficult otherwise, to plan for carpenters, prisons, churches etc in the early stages. Is this a bad idea to do it this way? Or am I better off leaving lots of open space right from the start?

Soldato
How do you know these things? :) I have to read this forum, to understand how I go about playing Anno!

One thing that is stumping me - collecting 'stuff' and taking it to the warehouse. More and more often I'm seeing messages about my buildings needing produce to be collected. There appears to be one guy walking around, slowly, with a rickety old cart. Can I produce more of these people?

I just picked them up playing the game. I still discover new tricks all the time. For example, I knew you could build your own fields, but had no idea how until I finally noticed that little tiny icon in the corner :p

You can produce more of those people, by upgrading the warehouse. Click on the warehouse, and in the bottom right corner, where it shows the goods, etc. , there should be a semicircle button at the top, in the middle (the same place where the auto-fields button is for farms). Click that, and if you have the resources, it'll upgrade. You can upgrade the warehouse twice, and each time you do, it'll get another man with a cart. You can also make the carts move faster by building stone roads between buildings instead of dirt paths.

If that still isn't enough:

1) How many buildings have you got linked to that warehouse? :eek:

2) You can build an additional warehouse to get another cart.

There are also some items that you can place in your harbour to add an extra cart to every warehouse on that island, but chances are, by the time you can get that, you'll probably have enough resources to have maxed out warehouses with stone roads anyway. In most cases you shouldn't need more than a "lvl 2" warehouse.

Its very difficult otherwise, to plan for carpenters, prisons, churches etc in the early stages. Is this a bad idea to do it this way? Or am I better off leaving lots of open space right from the start?

I usually plan it out a little, but not much. I don't put carpenters in my towns, and you can forget about firemen if you're playing on easy (if fires are starting from riots, no fireman can help you there :p).

One sec, I'll just load up a game and show you how I set my towns out.

On this one, I have ALL my houses on one island, and nothing else (there are a couple of lumberjacks, just so I could get the timber for houses). As you can see, I tend to just leave small spaces for things, and put them in when I get to that stage. I started from the marketplace in the center, and expanded to the side, leaving 1/3 of the island for the nomads. Where the church is, in the middle, I had a chapel and empty space, at the start. When I reached Patricians, I replaced it with a church. After that, no-one actually NEEDS a chapel, I only added a few here and there for the extra income from patricians.

A very useful trick is to hold shift when placing something, it'll show you the area that is already covered by other buildings of the same type. So for example if you're placing a church, and you hold shift, it'll show where your current churches cover, so you don't "waste" space by overlapping them.

http://i31.tinypic.com/5121k4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Got this last night on steam and am really enjoying it, I love that it's less based around "BUILD AS MANY CATAPULTS AS YOU CAN" (eg Age of Empires) and more like a 15th Centurey Sim City.

Havn't played much so far just did a few of the campaigne missions but I was hooked from 11pm to 3am so I can at least say I will be playing when I get home.

Associate
Help needed!

I am on mission 4 and I need to decode the captains logbook. The NPC can do it for me but needs paper and ink (It’s not called ink, I’ve just forgotten the name). I know the island I need to build it on is the orient one but when I try to build the buildings it says I don’t meet the requirements. I checked the requirements and I need to have a population of 295 nomads (got that) and I need to achieve the next diplomatic rank. How do I advance ranks? I have loads of honour but I can’t see how I would exchange that for rank points.

I have another mission: to defend another NPC from the evil woman commanding the crusade. I was asked to defend his island with at least 3 warships. I built 5, parked them outside his base and nothing happened! Whenever I leave I get some message along the lines of “Don’t go, without you we will be unable to defend ourselves!. So I stay and still nothing happens!

If anyone could help it would be appreciated!

Soldato
1. To advance in rank you need to do side quests etc etc to increase your honour - shown next to your cash balance. Then, in your case, you would go to Lord Northburh and buy with your honour a set of "scrolls" which you take to the Grand Vizier which in turn increases your prestige and thus unlocks your ability to build certain building etc. Providing you meet the other requirements of building.

2. I thought that problem was on mission 5 but hey I forget those details...!!! The Grand Vizier moans and whines about you moving the ships but IIRC you have missed the chance to help him with the initial attack he was having problems with. By the time that I build the ships I too missed that particular attack. IIRC if you did help him then you would be at war with <whatever she is called> and you could pull your ships back and then wait for one of hers to return and then help him or declare war on her through the diplomatic screen and defend his space. I am a little hazy on that one mission as it went a little weird for me.

Associate
Lord Northburgh was arrested by the dude leading the crusade....who do I speak to now? (Maybe this is mission 5...it gets a little hazy :p)

Soldato
Couple of questions. Firstly do the people who make charcoal (charcoal burners?) need wood, or to be put in trees?

Secondly, if, for example, you have a tool maker who needs iron and charcoal, and you put him on the square next to the iron smelter and the charcoal burner, will he take is resources directly from them, rather than waiting until they go to the warehouse?

Soldato
Couple of questions. Firstly do the people who make charcoal (charcoal burners?) need wood, or to be put in trees?

Needs to be in a forested area, it's quite a big one too.

Secondly, if, for example, you have a tool maker who needs iron and charcoal, and you put him on the square next to the iron smelter and the charcoal burner, will he take is resources directly from them, rather than waiting until they go to the warehouse?

The iron smelter needs iron ore and charcoal, then the toolmakers workshop just needs the iron itself straight from the smelter. If the smelter is with the radius shown (it'll show up in green) when placing the toolmaker then it will take resources directly from there, yes.

Soldato

The charcoal burners need to be placed in a large field of trees :)

Yes, the tool maker will take the resources from the smelter, the smelter will take the ore and coal (provided he is within range of the iron mine AND coal burner, or the warehouse), and then the warehouse will take the tools from the tool maker. Although bear in mind that by placing them next to the charcoal burner, it takes up some of his "tree space" so he'll probably be working at 90% efficiency or something. Also, you need 2 tool makers to make full use of all the iron, so: 1 iron mine, 1 smelter, 1 charcoal burner, and 2 tool makers.

Associate
Hi thanks for the guide, had a read and it has some good general comments but I still don't understand how to gain prestige with the Grand Vizier. Lord Northburgh has been arrested so I cannot go to him - how do I gain prestige? I have completed all the quests currently available.

Associate
Is a long thread and dont have time to read it right now
Has anyone got Graphics corruption like lots of black tiles
Have 4870x2 latest 9.8s Windows 7 RC1 all options on max, AS 8x, AA 2x

Associate
possible temp fix for Anno until sorted properly.

Originally Posted by shabador
It's a problem with Anno's DX10 mode in the new driver. Force it to DX9, and it will be fine:

- Open "%appdata%\Ubisoft\Anno1404\Config\Engine.ini"
- Set "<DirectXVersion>0</DirectXVersion>" to "<DirectXVersion>9</DirectXVersion>"

Voila: Black squares gone.

update:- ATi are saying they are aware of the issue but that the problem is NOT likely to be fixed in the next set of drivers :(

update 2:- just tested the above and it seems to work for me. :)

Soldato
Once I have activated the game 3 times, can I phone up and ask for more activations?

Also, are there any risks involved with transferring my offline profile to a friend?

Back
Top Bottom