• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i5 Overclocking Thread***

Associate
Got mine a couple of weeks ago and what an awesome chip it is! I didn't get an amazing one in terms of overclocking potential, but I've found my sweet spot at 3.8ghz 1.3v :D At this speed my PC runs cool, quiet and is blazing fast!

bell.png

Really is a fantastic chip though and an excellent upgrade from my E2160. Half of my mind was telling me to just buy a 45nm 775 quad and stick it in my P31 motherboard with a mild overclock. I'm glad I listened to the other side :p

Associate
No prime for me yet...only started today...just run Fritz so far.

Take a looky @ this...Not bard for a £71 board + £17.99 cooler lol....Don't think it comes any cheaper.:p

Not gone over 1.35v in bios

Last edited:
Associate
It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus...good air cooler for little dosh.;)

Nice cooler :p I got the same one.

Getting 4.3ghz on those volts is more down to how good a chip you've got, and you've got a good chip :) Is it 100% stable? Tried IBT?

Also, max volts I'd personally put through one is 1.425. Intel say 1.45 max.

Associate
Nice cooler :p I got the same one.

Getting 4.3ghz on those volts is more down to how good a chip you've got, and you've got a good chip :) Is it 100% stable? Tried IBT?

Also, max volts I'd personally put through one is 1.425. Intel say 1.45 max.

Hi ghop...yes a great cooler for price and size.

Stable...no mate it would need more vcore...only looking for around 4ghz stable.

be careful using 1.4v and above...don't wan't to melt anything lol.:D

Associate
Hi ghop...yes a great cooler for price and size.

Stable...no mate it would need more vcore...only looking for around 4ghz stable.

be careful using 1.4v and above...don't wan't to melt anything lol.:D

Yeah, I've found I can get 4ghz at 1.375. It's stable under 'normal' use but fails IBT after a couple of minutes unfortunately. My current overclock is 3.8ghz at 1.3v which I've found to be completely stable, cool running and perfect for everything and it also runs my ram at 1600mhz. Lovely :)

Associate
Hi there just overclocking my i5 750 for the first time... well overclocking is a complete first to me so I'm really going by other peoples settings. I've got Realtemp, CPU-Z and Prime95 running. the CPU is at 3.8GHz with a x19 multiplyer and 200MHz bus speed. CPU-Z is telling me that my core Votage is 1.264V (even thought I set it as 1.3V in the Bios) and I also set my VTT/QPI at 1.24V. Turbo Boost, C1E and EIST are disabled. Max temps according to Realtemp are 67/64/62/63 while running Prime95 and 39/36/36/34 while at idle. Does all this seems ok? Are there any changes that could be made? Any helps guys will be great, cheers.
Ross

Soldato
It's a funny thing that people are worried about a V-core most of the time and don't bother to lower their VTT at all :) If you have a sufficient cooling, there is a little risk of breaking up your chip under 1.5V. There's always a chance you will lower its lifespan permanently but that's nothing to worry about as most people don't keep PCs older than 5 years, right? And unless it actually burns up or something, you will be fine for another 5 years or so when going back to stock settings...

One question remains - does anyone consider uncore and dram voltages when overclocking their lovely Lynnfields? :) Found this thread some time ago and since then I never pushed my i5 past the Intel specs

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=332659

Last edited:
Soldato
So far I read that a high v-core is not as dangerous as uncore voltage to the Lynnfields (according to Intels specifications) thus I'm reoverclocking my setup. Has anyone found their sweetspot at stock volts yet? I went back to Bios 1.4 and set all voltages manually to stock. With Eist on Auto I can do 21 multi, 155bclk stable, 160 will cause troubles when stressing with Furmark and IntelBurnTest at once. That's with Turbo and Power Saving States enabled of course.

Last edited:
Associate
So far I read that a high v-core is not as dangerous as uncore voltage to the Lynnfields (according to Intels specifications) thus I'm reoverclocking my setup. Has anyone found their sweetspot at stock volts yet? I went back to Bios 1.4 and set all voltages manually to stock. With Eist on Auto I can do 21 multi, 155bclk stable, 160 will cause troubles when stressing with Furmark and IntelBurnTest at once. That's with Turbo and Power Saving States enabled of course.

I have vcore set at 1.20 which i think is around stock. BLCK 160 Multi x 20. I have turbo and all power saving setting enabled so it bumps up to multi x21 and is fully stable with what ever i throw at it.

Back
Top Bottom