• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i5 Overclocking Thread***

Soldato
Mr Krugga: Many thanks for the help so far:)

I have the following settings:

Base clock - 200mhz
Multi - 20x

C1E, Turbo Boost, CPU EIST - Disabled

CPU clock - 4ghz
RAM clock - 1600mhz

Voltages:

Vcore - 1.36875v
LLC - off due to hearing about voltage spikes
VTT - 1.17v (1.15v causes bsod)
DRAM - 1.60v (manufacturer rates up to 1.65v for my ram. Despite passing memtest, IBT and Prime, at 1.5v I got a bsod upon loading a map on bad company 2. The G.SKill website says 1.6 volts even though the sticker on the sticvks says 1.65v)
PCH - 1.12v (1.05v causes IBT error. 1.12v is the smallest increment over 1.05v)
PLL - 1.80v (normal voltage)
PCIE - 100mhz.

I agree with you, my does have slightly odd voltage increments in some areas! I do have the latest bios. Comments please:p.

Forgive my grammar in the previous post. I was really tired yesterday.

Ad voltages:

Vcore - seems ok with its voltage droops (although I'd really like to see what pencil mod is capable of doing here:D)
LLC - enable only up to 1.3-1.35V if you want to go the safe route
VTT - couldn't be better really
DRAM - G.Skill kits never stop to impress me
PCH - live with it
PLL - I would do 1.85V to be sure it's not a limiting factor
PCIE - never changed it myself :)

Go 8hrs of prime95 blend torture testing, 20 loops of IBT maximum stress testing and some Furmark stability or gaming tests to make sure your overclock is rock solid in every situation. Screenshots of CPU-Z and Core/RealTemp would be nice too.

I will do a screenshot but I just got a bsod again in bad company 2. Not sure if it is the ram voltage, the vtt, the pch or the pll:(

Can Prime95, IBT and memtest be trusted for complete stability?

My memtest passed with ram at 1.5v, but as the sticker on the ram says 1.65v it seems just a little bit too good to be true.

I bet it's the vtt or the pll.

Try:

VTT - 1.2V
PLL - 1.85V
DRAM - 1.64V

Just running Prime95 and IBT 25 (at max) times at the same time with ram at 1.5v, pll and pch at auto to see if that makes any difference. Trying to narrow it down as I am finding that if I change too many things at once I am no closer to solving anything!

The vcore and vtt are alright as they are caused no issues whilst gaming before I started changing the ram, pch and pll.
If prime95 passes for an hour or so I will then make the assumption that the ram is fine, but I will leave it at 1.64v for a day or so just to see if the other settings I have are ok.

Can I generally assume that if memtest at 1.5v is fine then the ram is a non-issue?

Last edited:
Krugga: Now running the following. Tbh there are too many different voltages for me to try each one, use the pc for a week to ensure no bsod, then tweak another one etc etc. Along with some voltages affecting other ones too.
I would be here forever!:p

So, here are my settings, to which as long as they prime OK (I have no doubt that they will be fine) then I will post a screenie in the morning.

Base clock - 200mhz
Multi - 20x

C1E, Turbo Boost, CPU EIST - Disabled

CPU clock - 4ghz
RAM clock - 1600mhz

Voltages (I have in some cases upped 1 notch from the minimum stable, just to be sure that in hot weather etc my pc is fine, rather than volting it right on the edge of stability):

Vcore - 1.375v (passes IBT and prime at 1.36875v).
LLC - off due to hearing about voltage spikes.
VTT - 1.19v (1.15v passes prime but causes bsod in IBT, 1.17v passes IBT and prime).
DRAM - 1.64v (manufacturer rates 1.65v for my ram. Despite passing memtest, IBT and Prime. I decided that if a manufacturer rates ram at 1.65v then it has to be safe, and then some - I am coming from the point of view of a manufacturing engineer here).
PCH - 1.12v (1.05v causes IBT error. 1.12v is the smallest increment over 1.05v).
PLL - 1.86v (one notch over the nominal 1.80v).
PCIE - 100mhz.

Btw what sort of voltages is PCH rated for and what exactly does it do? My board allows me to make PCH up to 2.0v!
I have read that PPL is the southbridge and overvolting it loads is just not required.

From an engineering point of view, the place I previously worked at did engineerting design for some farm machines and if they were rated to life up to 2000kg max then they would easily more than that. I think that Intel's voltage guidelines mean that a major overclock, say 4.2ghz, will kill the cpu in 10 years rather than 20 - Yes it is halving the lifespan of the cpu, but in reality the cpu has been binned in 5 years time anyway:).

Last edited:
Associate
I just thought I'd post a pic in here from my current setup even though it has nothing to do with overclocking, I'm just showing off how low vcore :). *specs in sig*

1234567890.png

Currently running:

Vcore - 1v
IMC - 1.1v
RAM - 1.6v
LLC - on

30 runs of IBT and Prime95 Blend at the same time is totally stable. The reason for 2731MHz and not 2666MHz is because to run my ram at 1600MHz bclk has to be increased and multi lowered.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'll receive soon my new i5 rig, I got the following:

Intel i5 750 Processor(here)
Asus P7P55D-E Motherboard (here)
G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Kit (here)
Corsair H50 Watercooler for CPU (here)

But I've got no clue with these new Intel processors with their iSeries of i3/5/7s.. Were do I start in overclocking with this new Asus board and the i5..? Looking for a 4GHz clock or 4.2GHz if I'm lucky I reckon with this H50 cooler.. ;) Am I looking in the right area to target? :) ..

What settings am I looking at and going for to get to 4/4.2?

Thanks.

Soldato
Apply XMP profile for the memory then try:

200x20
Vcore - 1.35 to 1.4v
PLL - 1.8v
PCH - 1.06v
VTT/IMC - 1.15 to 1.21v
DRAM - 1.65v

Anything else leave as automatic, can't use Turbo with a fixed multiplier but Speedstep can be on.

Left it last night doing tests and it failed IBT after 23 runs. Prime did not fail. I am really close but as a bumped most voltages up a notch I though I was there!
I can see that I am not too far off though:)

EDIT: I had some of the stupid power saving features enabled. So will try again today without those. I can prime is everything a notch lower on volts but IBT and Prime at the same time causes an IBT error so I am not 100% stable.

Last edited:
Here are some screenshots are requested. The max temp on coretemp/realtemp is due to IBT and Prime running at the same time. The current temps at time of screenshot has just Prime running as IBT had finished. IBT ran 50 times at maximum (just over 3gb of ram used for it iirc). Any voltages I was unsure about I made an educated guess of one notch over stock. My instability on IBT after 23 passes last night could have been due to some of the power saving issues being enabled or it could be some of the voltages. Either way, there are just too many variables as checking each one would take weeks overall, so I made a few alterations this morning.
Despite having some power saving features on last night, I noticed no difference in anything and speedstep most definitely was not on - I also cannot seem to get speedstep back on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Help!!

Guys

Just completed an 15 750 build with a Corsair H50 and I'm getting these temps at idle? Any idea's?????

The cooler seemed to be seated perfectly but these temps are way too hot?? All I have done so far is load Windows 7

2rrlax2.png

huoeq1.png

Soldato
tweakinfreak: Either the cooler is buggered (remember there is a pump in it) or it is not seated properly.

Those temperatures say that something is clearly not right.

Just realised what did, plugged the pump into a sys_fan and moved it to the pwr_fan and now have the temps below :) phew thought I was in poop street then!!

Right now as I'm as rusty as hell, whats the best way to overclock this bad boy? Suppose follow the standard settings I've seen in these posts?

Many thanks

5nofx0.png

Associate
Looks much better. You have a similar mob to mine so overclocking shouldn't be too difficult. if you've got 1600Mhz ram i'd work my way up to 20x200. Most people say to go slow but, tbh I never cared for that stuff.

Soldato
Looks much better. You have a similar mob to mine so overclocking shouldn't be too difficult. if you've got 1600Mhz ram i'd work my way up to 20x200. Most people say to go slow but, tbh I never cared for that stuff.

Me neither :) suppose I need to play and get the volts down, and stress test, I'd be happy with 4ghz as long as the volts are low!

206gart.png

Back
Top Bottom