The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

You should turn digital vibrance off and see if this helps make this ghosting less apparent. I have mine connected to an ATI card (so no Digital Vibrance) and it looks excellent.

if my main use for PC monitor is PC & console gaming will this EW2420 be good for me or should i go for M2700HD or even the V2420H which is similar but with TN panel (2ms response time).

i have read the review but still not 100% sure if its a decent gaming monitor,do you recommend it or the M2700HD for gaming ? thanks for making the review :)

I think it is clear from the review what my recommendation is, as905. The response time is the only thing letting it down. I have no trouble gaming on it and find it much better than most if not all other monitors in the pricerange due the the image quality. For some people the response time, TrTf in particular, is just too slow. If you really want a responsive BenQ you should be looking at the XL2410T, if you can find it, as it will cost around the same as the M2700HD when it's in full stock. We will be reviewing this next week.

Last edited:
Got my bl2400pt.

Can confirm that it's semi glossy.

Good points: The stand is excellent, the AG coating isn't visible (clean whites), the blacks are very nice, the panel is responsive enough for gaming - I can't notice it in games I've tried. Viewing angles are far far better than TN (the colour shifts a little compared to IPS but it's miles better than TN).

Bad points: I have the 'dark finger' effect (dark shapes on whites) as mentioned a few pages back - doesn't bother me much though. I had to turn up digital vibrance to 60% because the monitor seems a bit washed out without it. The image isn't as crisp/sharp as it could be (compared to my apple cinema display) - even with the sharpness turned up to the max.

Overall - for £170 the monitor is brilliant value. It feels much nicer than my g2420hdbl did. However, if you aren't willing to play with it then I think the 2420hdbl looked nicer out of the box.

Something that might be useful to someone - this monitor comes with 'eye protect' enabled in the menu, which dims the backlight even if set to 100%.

Also, there is no 'game' mode - not sure what difference this makes.

Tried without the digital vibrance, and still the same :(

It must be just my panel, as i cant see how anyone would play any games with this much ghosting/blurring without feeling sick after 10 mins!

Just adding another user review of the EW2420 to this thread by foxthemad at MyGarage forums (original untranslated version here). There's lots of photos of what comes included in the box, visual tour of the monitor and finally it in use.

He appears to be pleased with the monitor:

PROs
VA Panel LED
Many entries
High contrast
Good quality / price ratio
Thoughtful presets
Large viewing angles

CONs
High response time (for some people)
Lack of DVI-D package
Support for headset included too can not be used
Glossy appearance that attracts more dust

Thanks for that. I don't quite agree with 'thoughtful presets' though. Lots of options yes, but they're all terrible. :)
Haha yeah I was a bit puzzled by that, especially when he said all the presets were well calibrated :confused:

Like most monitors come with several presets view, namely: Standard, Movie, Game, Photo, and sRGB Eco.

Each of them is very well calibrated from my point of view. However the mines were often used Standard (Daily Office type stuff), Movie, Game and Photo. May I had to walk all the settings for any of these presets.

if my main use for PC monitor is PC & console gaming will this EW2420 be good for me or should i go for M2700HD or even the V2420H which is similar but with TN panel (2ms response time).

Hi as905. I bought the EW2420 and I can not recommend using it for console gaming. If you plug the console with HDMI cable and rely on the audio output to plug your PC speaker or headphone, you will be greatly disappointed by the audio quality. As I pointed out, and confirmed by another user, all the low frequencies are cut and you feel absolutely no bass. The electronic is really, really bad. This point alone makes the experience awful :(

As most of the review were made with PC connections, there is barely no mention of audio quality (talking about the output, not the integrated speakers which are of course terrible), there might be a chance that my unit was defective (I will returned it and get a new one). This has nothing to do with image quality, but this is crucial for a good console gaming experience !

Its being returned under warranty Monday. Unfortunately im outside the DSR period as i bought the monitor first, and then had to wait to build my PC before giving it a go! (My own bad organising).

The guy on the phone agreed that these monitors should be pretty smooth with 8ms response and that what im experiencing does sound out of the ordinary..

After doing some reading though, i am tempted by the Benq XL2410T 24" with 120hz to try and get as smooth as possible gaming..just need some more reviews..

I got the EW2420 a few days ago. Here is my short take on it. I have it hooked up to my PC with a DVI cable.

I have been fiddling about with the settings and came up with these although the screen is still "too blue" for my liking, I can't seem to get close to 6500k, I don't have any calibration devices:

--> Brightness 10
--> Contrast 70
--> Sharpness 3
--> Gamma 2.2
--> AMA 'On'
--> Color (Red) 82
--> Color (Green) 75
--> Color (Blue) 75

I am sending mine back because the backlight(?) is uneven near the bottom so I can always see a dark shadowy patches even when I am browsing the internet. I can also see the LED ripple on solid colours across the bottom of the screen but it doesn't bother me like the black patches do.

Response times are slower than the TN panels I have observed but wow, the contrast ratio is great!

Anyone else got the dark shadowy patches on their EW2420?

Last edited:
I got the EW2420 a few days ago. Here is my short take on it. I have it hooked up to my PC with a DVI cable.

I have been fiddling about with the settings and came up with these although the screen is still "too blue" for my liking, I can't seem to get close to 6500k, I don't have any calibration devices:

--> Brightness 10
--> Contrast 70
--> Sharpness 3
--> Gamma 2.2
--> AMA 'On'
--> Color (Red) 82
--> Color (Green) 75
--> Color (Blue) 75

I am sending mine back because the backlight(?) is uneven near the bottom so I can always see a dark shadowy patches even when I am browsing the internet. I can also see the LED ripple on solid colours across the bottom of the screen but it doesn't bother me like the black patches do.

Response times are slower than the TN panels I have observed but wow, the contrast ratio is great!

Anyone else got the dark shadowy patches on their EW2420?

Some people who just received the BL2400 (same panel inside) seem to have experienced this too http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18206667&page=2. Somebody has 'mass ordered' them and will be able to give a proportion of those affected. I would certainly RMA it. I seem to have got really lucky with my unit.

I also did not experience such problems with my unit. Nevertheless, i sent it back because i wanted to try other monitors and furthermore Amazon was much expensiver for the EW2420 than other sellers.

Nevertheless, i ordered another much cheaper EW2420 and will receive it tomorrow. IMO it was the best monitor (at least for me) i tried yet. When i dont experience those problems as you, probably i will keep the BenQ.

One thing, which is not mentioned here at all: The BenQ is able to playback with 50 Hz which is essential in PAL land for movies. And to go further it is able to do this native.

The benefits for me are:
- viewing angle in comparison to TN
- blacks
- contrast
- colors
- USB Hub
- price
- 50 Hz compatible

negative:
- slow
- some ghosting
- poor presets

Some people who just received the BL2400 (same panel inside) seem to have experienced this too http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18206667&page=2. Somebody has 'mass ordered' them and will be able to give a proportion of those affected. I would certainly RMA it. I seem to have got really lucky with my unit.

I do like the EW2420 very much but I'm going to re-order it with another retailer who won't cause me any problems should I require multiple swaps for one without problems.

Did you also have trouble getting the screen to display warm colours by using just the OSD settings?

Back
Top Bottom