The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

I would take the BenQ BL2400PT desktop stand and replace the one on the BenQ EW2420.

Does BenQ sell the BenQ BL2400PT desktop stand separately?

I would take the BenQ BL2400PT desktop stand and replace the one on the BenQ EW2420.

Does BenQ sell the BenQ BL2400PT desktop stand separately?
Why not just buy the BL2400PT? Unless you need the 2x HDMI I suppose. I highly doubt BenQ sell the stand separately, however the EW2420 is VESA mountable, so you could always get yourself a monitor arm.

This has been a great thread to read. I'm looking for a monitor for a Mac Mini (still trying to actually one of those on the cheap too!) to do most things EXCEPT gaming, so this looks ideal, especially given the price.

Crisbduck, you can compare the features of the monitors on the BenQ site, using their compare tool. There are a couple of differences other than inputs and looks. Here is a straight copy paste, which is a bit untidy, sorry:

BL2400PT
Product Color
Black
Display
531.36x298.89
Screen Size
24.0"W (LED)
Aspect Ratio
16:9
Resolution (max.)
1920x1080
Pixel Pitch (mm)
Brightness ( typ.)
250 cd/㎡
Contrast ( typ. )
3000:1
DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) (typ.)
20M:1
Panel Type
VA
Viewing Angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10)
178/178
Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ.
25ms 8ms (GtG)
Input Connector
D-sub / DVI / DP / headphone jack / line in
Speaker
1Wx2
USB Hub
No
Power Supply (90~264 AC)
Built-in
Power Consumption (On mode)
42W
(Power saving mode)
0.2W
CTN Dimensions (HxWxD mm)
673 x 447 x 262
Dimensions(HxWxD mm)
576.4 x 432.35 x 235.6
Dimensions with Wall Mount (HxWxD mm)
576.4 x 360.2x 58.7
Net Weight (kg)
Gross Weight (kg)
Senseye
Senseye 3 w/o GAME
AMA
Yes
PerfectMotion
No
Vista Compatibility
Premium
Win7 Compatibility
Yes
HDCP
Yes
Color Temperature
Reddish / Normal/ Bluish /user mode
OSD Language
17 languages
VESA Wall Mounting
100x100mm
Swivel (left/right)
-45/45
Tilt (down/up)
-5~20
High Adjustment (mm)
130mm
K Locker
Yes
Regulations
TCO5.0
del

EW2420
Product Color
Glossy Black, Silver-black middle bazel
Display
531.36x298.89
Screen Size
24"W
Aspect Ratio
16:9
Resolution (max.)
1920x1080
Pixel Pitch (mm)
Brightness ( typ.)
250 cd/㎡
Contrast ( typ. )
3000:1
DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) (typ.)
20M:1
Panel Type
VA
Viewing Angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10)
178/178
Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ.
25ms, 8ms (GtG)
Input Connector
D-sub/DVI-D/2*HDMI 1.3/ headphone jack line in
Speaker
1.5Wx2
USB Hub
Yes (4*downstream, 1*upstream)
Power Supply (90~264 AC)
Built-in
Power Consumption (On mode)
53W(max)
(Power saving mode)
<1W
CTN Dimensions (HxWxD mm)
Dimensions(HxWxD mm)
439.7x581.9x179
Dimensions with Wall Mount (HxWxD mm)
Net Weight (kg)
Gross Weight (kg)
Senseye
Senseye 3
AMA
Yes
PerfectMotion
Vista Compatibility
Premium
Win7 Compatibility
Yes
HDCP
Yes
Color Temperature
Reddish / Normal/ Bluish /user mode
OSD Language
17 languages
VESA Wall Mounting
100x100mm
Swivel (left/right)
Tilt (down/up)
-5~20
High Adjustment (mm)
K Locker
Regulations
TCO5.0

Last edited:
Unfortunately sending mine back, appears to be faulty. The ghosting is very obvious now and makes games unplayable. Not sure why. Will probably replace with a low response TN like the Hanns.G HZ281HPB 27.5"

Even dragging windows around the screen and you can see a very obvious nasty trail behind them :/

Tried with and without AMA. Without its much worse...

I know there is ghosting, and it wasnt that visible when i first had the monitor, but now its suddenly become very obvious and is an immediate distraction when playing to the point where its ruining the game and ive gone back to my "cheap" 22" LCD.

If this is how the monitor is, then i've clearly purchased the wrong one for my needs :/

You say it wasn't that visible when you first got the monitor? Is it not because you have noticed it and now suddenly you keep on thinking about it and can't ignore it? Or has it actually suddenly got worse? Either way if it does bother you the Hanns.G made it in as our 'monitor of the month' this month ahead of the EW2420. ;) Don't expect the contrast or colours to be anywhere near as good. But this is the sacrifice you must make at the moment for a good level of responsiveness.

Its very difficult to say, i could not be certain if it has "got worse" or if i have just started to notice it more as ive played more FPS based games... although the give away also seems to be dragging any windows around the screen.

Its more obvious when i run my 2x monitors side by side. In FPS games whilst running, you cannot see any detail on the Benq with it ghosting (not much good when your trying to spot the opposition!), on my other cheaper 22" you can still see the detail.

Playing Bad Company 2 on the first day and this wasnt so obvious.

What other FPS games have you been playing? Black Ops and some others perhaps? I actually found Bad Company 2 quite bad initially - I did comment on the loss of texture detail on my very first post on this thread. After having used the monitor more and more I found the overall experience just too good compared to other TN panels in this price range. I don't use it on my primary computer though so I don't have to 'put up with it' all the time. I didn't find the response time issues adversely affected my gaming performance though. :)

Bad Company 2, World at War, Modern Warfare.

Some other strange things i found.... if you play Bad Company 2 (The Islas map) and your on the top of the hill, stand still and look at the green grass. Then move your position and the grass appears much more saturated in color. When you stop moving it goes back to its original color.

This also happens in Modern Warfare, start a new game and in the training hut you see the guy at the desk and the weapons behind him. The wall has a yellow tint to it if you stand still, but move your view and the yellow becomes much more saturated :S

This doesnt happen with the other monitor running next to it in duplicate mode.

The only difference now is that im running a GTX580, i was running an 8800gtx. I cant imagine the card being to blame though as my 2nd monitor is showing the game fine...

I wonder if the new card has just somehow highlighted the ghosting more.

The grass becoming super saturated sounds very much like the 'smoke-like trail' you get on VA panels when greatly contrasting colours or shades move against one another. It does sound a bit exaggerated - you don't have Digital Vibrance enabled do you? What is your secondary monitor you have next to it?

Digital vibrance is enabled at 52%. My 2nd monitor is a yukaru 22" (bought a year ago quite a cheap basic TN Panel).

The Benq monitor is setup so colors do stand out pretty well, and its a tad darker than you would normally set it to.

Thing is, this yukaru monitor has the same settings too. Maybe i should be treating the VA panel different and try some brighter settings later..

Back
Top Bottom