The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

PCM2 had no problems adjusting his unit. He uses presets. Nevertheless, a lot of people had problems to get proper settings including me.

This also points to poor quality checks from BenQ.

The only 'preset' I use is Standard mode. I really feel for you though - this variation in individual units is really not good. Not entirely unexpected for budget monitors, but not good nonetheless.

PCM2, from which does the variation come from? The panel itself or tolerances in electronics?

What i also not understand: Why is there a huge variation in Backlight bleed or LEDs which can be clearly seen?

It's a mixture of things. It's usually in the way things are put together - like when you buy a particular type of sandwhich from a shop and they put more of one type of filling in than usual. Okay that was quite a poor analogy but with these budget models, particularly the 'thin' LED backlit models, things can be sandwhiched together a bit badly sometimes. It sure makes reviewing monitors difficult when you know you might be saying things that don't apply to other people's panels of the same type. I do try to point this out as much as possible in reviews, but generally if things are too dissimilar it's RMA time.

Would an online retailer accept an LCD to be faulty if it has faint dark patches on the screen or would I be better sending it back under distance selling regulations?

Last edited:
I got my second unit today. It is even better than the first one regarding presets. Luckily no pixel failures and no LEDs at the bottom.

A question to backlight bleed: I have tested it in the dark with a black screen. Which brightness do i have to adjust? It seems that the corners are somewhat brighter, but nothing to worry about. I wont see this in practical use.

I mean: when i want to test the unit for backlight bleed. What is the best brightness setting to do this: 100% ??

Edit: First, i forgot, to switch on AMA. I got frightened when watching to a soccer game. After switching it on, those tail effects of the ball was gone. So: what is AMA? Is there a documentation anywhere?

Edit2: I set brightness to 10 and it is so bright.

Edit3: This unit is really well calibrated with presettnigs. I have the unit on "normal" mode. Just lowered brightness to 10 and set contrast to 60. It is pretty perfect. i will keep this unit :-)

Last edited:
That's excellent! You don't need to check for excess backlight bleed if you aren't having problems, but curiosity is a powerful thing ;). You should check for it using the settings that you are comfortable using - so 10% brightness in your case.

AMA (Advanced Motion Acceleration) is an 'overdrive' feature that speeds up the grey to grey transition time considerably. What this means is that when a pixel shifts from one shade ('grey') to another shade ('grey') it occurs more rapidly than it would with AMA disabled. The 'high contrast' transitions between very light and very dark, and vice-versa, are still relatively slow on any *VA panel and no kind of 'acceleration' can do much to improve this. That's what can cause 'black ghosting' or at least more noticeable trailing in dark scenes lit up by artificial lights vs. light scenes.

Well a couple of weeks in and i'm loving this monitor loads, borrowed a calibrator of a forum member and the colours are now top notch.

watched lots of films on here especially blu-rays through the ps3 and the quality is next to none, i suffer zero backlight bleed, had no ghosting issues or colour issues, now have it connected to my 360,ps3 and pc and it's a true joy to own.

Next on the hit list is to spray my Neoflex vesa mount from grey to black so i can have this badboy fully adjustable and use it in portrait mode on photoshop.

Bit of a pain tho as the garage is too cold with the bad weather we are having and there is no way the missus will let me do it in the house lol

Right, I have a Mac Mini on the way via the refurb store. Bye bye laptop! Is this the best I can get for around/under £200? I'm essentially looking for a bargain that'll be for most things except gaming, since I plan on having a separate monitor (and computer) for that.

I'm a bit meh about 16:9 having had 16:10 on this laptop for years (@1920x1200), but it's the norm these days and not having to squint at tiny icons will probably make up for it anyway.

Right, I have a Mac Mini on the way via the refurb store. Bye bye laptop! Is this the best I can get for around/under £200? I'm essentially looking for a bargain that'll be for most things except gaming, since I plan on having a separate monitor (and computer) for that.
If you do manage to receive a good unit (like PCM2 or bigjimmyauk have), then it seems like a very good monitor. Just be wary that it appears there's more dissatisfied owners who are returning the monitor due to a few defects.

Another good monitor to look at is the Dell U2311H which can be currently had for just over £200 (or under, if you buy via a cashback site). I've just bought myself one as it's a limited time offer.

Last edited:
Ah bugger, I thought it was still in the £260 range which was too much. Now I'm feeling indecisive!
It normally is, which is why previously I always looked at it and thought "that'd be nice to have, shame about the price" and carried on looking at cheaper alternatives. I couldn't really let it go at it's current limited time price.

Derp. I hate making decisions like this. I've read both the threads thoroughly btw. I'm not sure what specific rights I lose out on ordering the Dell as a 'small business' though, and you mentioned were hoping you'd get a panel without tinting or backlight issues, so an equal risk applies.

Don't laugh but the BenQ has built in speakers, and it's going to be a while before I can get myself the DAC and active monitors that I want, so I need some kind of speakers in the mean time. One the down side the warranty is 2 years to Dell's 3.

I'm swaying towards the BenQ and ordering from the same place PCM did, in some sort of vague hope they have a 'good batch'.

I'm not sure what specific rights I lose out on ordering the Dell as a 'small business' though, and you mentioned were hoping you'd get a panel without tinting or backlight issues, so an equal risk applies.
Yeah those are my worries, but I think for me at least, it's worth the gamble.

Don't laugh but the BenQ has built in speakers, and it's going to be a while before I can get myself the DAC and active monitors that I want, so I need some kind of speakers in the mean time. One the down side the warranty is 2 years to Dell's 3.
I've not heard them myself in person (although you can somewhat listen to them in NCX's review), but I'm guessing the speakers are going to be pretty bad compared to an external set. Usable I guess, but being only 1.5w, they're no better than your standard laptop speakers. If you don't have any alternatives then I suppose you've got no other choice but to use them.

I should point out that the audio over HDMI on the BenQ EW2420 is apparently very bad (see here and here), the lower frequencies (mainly bass) are cut off it seems. So you should consider that if you're going to use HDMI.

I'm swaying towards the BenQ and ordering from the same place PCM did, in some sort of vague hope they have a 'good batch'.
Datalol-jack mentioned he was ordering a large batch of BL2400PT (same panel as the EW2420). You could probably gauge how likely you are you receive a bad unit depending on what he receives. From what I've personally read across a lot of forums, sites and in different countries/languages, there have unfortunately been a high number of bad apples, so to speak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom