****EVH's house building thread****

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long until everything completed and you are living in it properly then? Month or so?
We're already living in it now!

The front wall is going up in a week or so, or at least the footing will be done and then we can move the dog in.

Well done for spending the extra cash on underfloor heating... it really is so much better than conventional radiators :) (I'm envious!). Any pictures of the boiler/plumbing? :p.

Edit: Never mind I saw the boiler by going back some pages... Baxi DuoTec/Platinum? (same boiler, different warranty). Were you not tempted to go for a conventional boiler with an unvented cylinder for better hot water performance?
It's a Baxi DuoTec. The hot water performance seems fine here, certainly warm enough for us and the pressure out the taps is immense. To be honest my brother is the plumber, so we just bought what he recommended.

In the second picture, whats the socket in the middle?
TV aerial for analogue distribution of Sky / Freeview.

Can I move in? :D
Yes. Bring your camera.

Can you tell me where you got the carpet from?
Budget Carpet & Flooring, Swansea. I believe they have other stores throughout the UK.

Wicked...Im really diggin that very neat flat screen install in the living room. Buried wiring all the way...so neat!
Thanks. It pays to plan.

I have those sofas and think there are very poor build quality,hence why there were so cheap.

Lovely house btw
Really? We've found them good quality so far. The ones we have are from the Quartz range.

wow that is amazing

congratulations on your new home - the whole office here has been actively watching your thread and we are all impressed and inspired.
Thanks. I haven't had much to update without the internet. Due to be activated today so I hope to be updating more regularly.

Those black floor tiles are identical to the ones in our bathroom :)

I really need to take some pics, but now that we are properly moved in, there is 'lived in' clutter everywhere, doh!
Same problem here! DOH! :D

We have that fridge, except with the milk hatch thing
The Ice maker?

Bit of an update.

Finished the CAT 6 cabling, got the internet activated, wired up the aerial distribution system to get us up and running, and had the Sky dish and DAB aerial installed. Got a long way to go until it's finished. A long, long way!

img9951k.jpg

img9952d.jpg

img9953d.jpg

I've put the sides and door back on the rack temporarily, just to neaten things up.

There is still a lot to do but this is the barebones setup that gets us by. I've taken the Sky+ HD box out until the coax is terminated.

img9956t.jpg

Kit installed here:
  • HP ProCurve 1810G-24 gigabit switch
  • 2Wire 2700 HG-V ADSL modem
  • Apple AirPort Extreme
  • Drobo Pro NAS
The 1U gap above the modem and wireless is for a brush faceplate, and the 1U gap above the Drobo is for a Mac Mini media centre.

Just waiting on a shelf.

img9959f.jpg

img9960.jpg

img9957p.jpg

All the WF100 coax will be terminated at this F-connector patch panel. At the moment I've directly terminated the coax to the distribution amp to test.

The gap above the patch panel is for another brush faceplate.

img9961n.jpg

The distribution amp has a digital bypass for use with the magic eyes, which is a nice fallback until the in-ceiling sensors are up and running.

img9966tc.jpg

Here you can see our state of the art phone system! Ha!

The blue cabling is the speaker cabling which will eventually go to a speaker post patch panel. Needs a bit of a clean up now though.

img9962vi.jpg

Sky dish installed. The guy threw an Octo LNB on the dish, but we're only using 2 of the inputs :o

We're in a pretty poor transmitter area because we live in a dip, so we cannot get the main transmitter for Swansea (Kilvey Hill). As such, we went for a pretty top-spec high gain aerial on a different transmitter (Carmel). Luckily we didn't need a mast head amplifier like I've seen some others in the street.

img9967n.jpg

The vertical dipole aerial is a DAB aerial. The signal picked up from this is outstanding. I connected my Pure DAB radio as a test of the signal and got 99/100% signal from every station!

img9969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice EVH.

You cat6 setup is close to mine minus the cabinet. Interesting that BT are also using the 2Wire box. We use the 2Wire 2701HGV-E here with our provider (Singtel).

We have been going through the same sort of thing as yourself although it has been renovating rather than building from scratch. Lots of highs, some low and frustrations but a great feeling seeing all that stuff coming together.

I will put up a separate thread and link so as not to detract from your.

Great read.

RB

LOL that tiny Sky dish was you not interested in a larger one that is motorized or just for the better signal?

I like the way the tv is in the lounge looks stunning could you give me the height of the wall bracket I have the same tv and was going to put it on the wall but was unsure the best height

LOL that tiny Sky dish was you not interested in a larger one that is motorized or just for the better signal?

Of course he wasnt, why on earth would he want a bigger one given that a 40cm dish is more than sufficient for excellent reception from everything at 28E?

I like the way the tv is in the lounge looks stunning could you give me the height of the wall bracket I have the same tv and was going to put it on the wall but was unsure the best height
I'd love to, but I don't remember the height now.

The way I worked it out was as follows..

1. Measure floor to ceiling
  2. Mark horizontal centre line on the wall
  3. Measure height of TV (37.5 inches with speaker bar iirc)
  4. Lay bracket on the back of the TV
  5. Measure the top of bracket, to the top of the TV
  6. Measure bottom of the bracket, to the bottom of the TV

At this point you will have the position of the bracket, relative to the back of the TV. I measured it in such a way, that when I hung the TV the centre of the TV (18.75 inches) it was dead on the centre line of the room, which is fine as when sitting that is where eye level is.

This meant mounting the top of the bracket higher than the centre line though, as you'll find the bracket sits higher up the TV, if you have the official pioneer bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course he wasnt, why on earth would he want a bigger one given that a 40cm dish is more than sufficient for excellent reception from everything at 28E?

Hardly only someone who hasn't experienced anything other would suggest that.

I'd love to, but I don't remember the height now.

The way I worked it out was as follows..

1. Measure floor to ceiling
  2. Mark horizontal centre line on the wall
  3. Measure height of TV (37.5 inches with speaker bar iirc)
  4. Lay bracket on the back of the TV
  5. Measure the top of bracket, to the top of the TV
  6. Measure bottom of the bracket, to the bottom of the TV

At this point you will have the position of the bracket, relative to the back of the TV. I measured it in such a way, that when I hung the TV the centre of the TV (18.75 inches) it was dead on the centre line of the room, which is fine as when sitting that is where eye level is.

This meant mounting the top of the bracket higher than the centre line though, as you'll find the bracket sits higher up the TV, if you have the official pioneer bracket.

Thanks for that it makes it much easier to work out the placement.

img9956t.jpg

Kit installed here:
  • HP ProCurve 1810G-24 gigabit switch
  • 2Wire 2700 HG-V ADSL modem
  • Apple AirPort Extreme
  • Drobo Pro NAS

Just realised where the 2Wire came from ;).

How come you've got the AirPort Extreme within the rack? Wouldn't the rack act as a faraday cage?

Nice home.

DROBO! :cool:

...and you've even got a special ariel. There is no stopping you! :p

But to make myself feel better, I have 50Mb Broadband so nur nur!!!!!!

Congratulations on your new home mate, fantastic job, hope you, the mrs and the littleun are very happy there.

I'm green with envy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom