• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Curacao XT 8970 pictured... courtesy of 4chan.

Soldato
Quoted these together as they relate.

The 7790 is Interesting, with 40% more Stream Processors and running the same GPU clocks + higher memory clocks than the 7770 it uses about the same amount of power.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-performance,review-32655-10.html

7770 = 142w
7790 = 138w

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6837/...eat-sapphire-the-first-desktop-sea-islands/16

7770 = 242w
7790 = 249w

Clearly there is some power optimisation on the 7790.

Nice observation humbug, looks like the 8970 could well be tweaked for better power efficiency as well then. Really impressed with the 780's performance, if the 8970 can match it or come close and be priced cheaper with games it will be a decent alternative.

Caporegime
$550 (£433 Incl Tax) for a card that is close to the GTX 780 seems fair to me.

Not really, price/performance should be improving and getting better, the price shouldn't be increasing inline with it :p

I must have said this like 20 times, but the shader count is the same as the Sapphire tech sheet we saw in 2012, AMD could have had a card out at this power over a year ago.

Soldato
AMD = saints irrespective of high prices; nVidia = demons even if they price what is likely to be competitive (Titan apart)

Just summing up the arguments that will no doubt happen if true. :D

Soldato
Best way to deal with high launch prices is to wait until prices come down, also the best way to avoid buyers remorse, take it from somebody who fell for the Nvidia Titan hype lol.

If more people voted with their wallets prices would have to come down, a lot of people cry about prices then run out and buy at launch anyway lol.

A Paradox.

Caporegime
AMD = saints irrespective of high prices; nVidia = demons even if they price what is likely to be competitive (Titan apart)

Just summing up the arguments that will no doubt happen if true. :D

HD 8970 = GTX 780 - £480: not what we would like, but certainly 'better' value.

HD 8970 = GTX 780 - £550: AMD demons. and I will be the first to say it.

Soldato
If it's similar performance to the 780, costs the same as the 7970 did at launch and has voltage control i might be tempted to buy two :D
Depends when they come out though, if next month maybe if 6 months probably not, hopefully waterblocks come out the same week.

Soldato
Odd. Because isn't this exactly what you did? :D

Not really I tend to switch parts out, play with them and the build them into PC's for other people, I kind of hustle my own parts until I'm happy with it's bang for buck lol.

If you look at my rig,

Gigabyte X79 UD5 - £80
3960X - £500
2 x HD 7950 - £130 each £260 total.

You see my point? Even if I buy 8970's to play with at launch, I more than likely won't keep them for long lol. I'll build them into another rig and get something better bang for buck as prices drop throughout the year..

What I was commenting on is the people who cry most about prices here will buy them at launch anyway. Mankini1991 does this every time lol.

If you really want to make a point, don't buy them at launch...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't talk crap Boom.
I didn't buy a 7970 until they dropped to 299.99 when I bought mine, I dropped the 7950 within 3 weeks and switched to a GTX680 which was reasonably priced. I had zero issue with the GTX680 price, I don't like the Titan pricing, or the 780 price, so I don't buy, end of. Of course you'll say "Just because you can't afford it lololol" and I'm butt hurt, or some other nonsense. I still remember when you called me a liar for saying I had a 7950, you and Dave beast.

The 7970 was horrifically priced at launch, as was the 7950 and I fully regret buying the 7950, which is why I got rid as the GTX680 was coming, and launched at the same price point as 7950's were selling at.

Whereas you will constantly buy everything, then flame everyone, all the time.

EDIT : Don't bother replying, it'll be some nonsense, a few lies, probably a bit of flaming, self justification, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom