• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Curacao XT 8970 pictured... courtesy of 4chan.

Soldato
it looks more like 8950 then 8970 when you look at the specs ,

amdcards_zps5fb0a0de.png

Last edited:
Soldato
it looks morel like 8950 then 8970 when you look at the specs ,

amdcards_zps5fb0a0de.png

2560 shaders at 1050Mhz on the 8970 part looks very tasty! If AMD could pull out at ~10% efficiency improvement on top of the extra GPU grunt (which is not unrealistic for a mid-process spruce of an existing architecture), then it could indeed compete with the GTX780.

Soldato
I would also point out that, since the release of this lineup spans from October to December, it doesn't bode well for us seeing 20nm cards in early 2014. It's unlikely that AMD would want to release their latest cards with only a few months of shelf life.

This release suggests to me that we will be looking at the second half of 2014 for 20nm, despite TSMC apparently still being on-schedule for their 20nm production.

Soldato
Why?

The motto atm is be invincible so they need as much umph as they can get from these next set of cards before 20nm

Im eyeing up that 8990 :D

Caporegime
I would also point out that, since the release of this lineup spans from October to December, it doesn't bode well for us seeing 20nm cards in early 2014. It's unlikely that AMD would want to release their latest cards with only a few months of shelf life.

This release suggests to me that we will be looking at the second half of 2014 for 20nm, despite TSMC apparently still being on-schedule for their 20nm production.

Let Nvidia go first with 20nm to see whats what and then compete with that.

The biggest mistake AMD made was going before Nvidia with 28nm.

bru

bru

Soldato

Well yes the reports do seem to say that TSMC will be able to produce at 20nm by the end of the year, so 20nm cards late 2013 early 2014 would appear to be possible, so I agree that a October release seems a bit odd.

Let Nvidia go first with 20nm to see whats what and then compete with that.

Now this could be a definite possibility, it would also let the 20nm process mature a bit, maybe allowing them to release whatever they are planning at slightly better speeds than they did last time around.

Back
Top Bottom