• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
The driver install would presumably go to the card and query it in several ways and that might wake it up more than driver-less but beyond that I don't know. Perhaps update your mobo-bios and chipset drivers (if they arent already fairly current) in case its having problems communicating over/with the PCIe slot/drivers. Both the 290X and 7970 are PCIe V3.0 cards so it shouldn't be too much different but its just a suggestion. It will use the PCIe bus to look for crossfire buddies of course now - are there any other cards in the mobo or just integrated stuff.

What is the spec of the machine - mobo, psu, cpu etc - is it whatever your sig is saying (its hard to read) ?

Just saw your post, my spec is:

I7 [email protected] atm, I usually have it at 4.4 completely stable but I rolled it back just incase.
Gigabyte Z68XUD7B3
8GB DDR3 Ram
Was running an MSI 7970
Creative soundblaster ZxR
Samsung S27A950D monitor
Corsair 850W PSU
Bluray drive
1x OS SSD Crucial M4 128GB
1x OCZ 128GB for games
1x 2TB HDD seagate
2x 1TB HDD WD blacks
Had Win7 64, change to Win 8.1 64 in an attempt to resolve this issue

Card seems to be fine so far in the work pc:
i7 980x @ 4.1GHz
Gigabyte G1 Guerilla motherboard
Corsair 1000W PSU
Seagate 1tb HDD
Onboard sound
6GB DDR3
Samsung S23A950D monitor

Associate
i am on a 2600k with a p67 board. Food for thought. Though will see what ocuk say when they get it back. "probably what an idiot it works fine for us"

Permabanned
my 290x is DSR'd, knew I should have waited for non-ref, the AMD cooler is not fit for purpose in any manner. cant see non-ref 290X's being cheaper than 780, time to stick the 670 back in and stay green with a 780 on the way ;) mmmm silence

Soldato
I got a socket monitor today, 370W for my whole PC while playing BF3. So much for needing a 750W+ PSU.

That is with a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz, a watercooling loop, 7 case fans, 2x SSDs and 3x 7200rpm spinning rust.

Edit: Crysis2 peaked at 394W

Last edited:
Associate
Darket, what PSU are you using and what's the rest of your spec - have you noticed any CPU bottlenecking in anything as of yet?

No bottlenecking at all . specs are :-

Sabertooth z77 board
i7 3770k @ 4.5 watercooled
16 gb ram
OCZ ZX850w psu

I benched at 4.5 , 4.7 and 4.8 ghz and saw no real improvement in scores

One thing i did notice tho was pushing the memory speed past 1375mhz had a negative effect on scores, i'm not sure if this is the sweet spot for a crossfire setup and the avaliable pci bus banwidth or not , i'll have to test with just one card to see.

I'm not sure that a platform supporting a pci 3.0 and 2x 16 lanes would vield , but i'm getting pretty good scaling as it is @ 3.0 2 x8

Last edited:
Associate
OK even i got some problems....
When sitting at desktop cards gpu clock and memory clock jumps up and down creating flickering.... da ****
I've not read the full thread to see if this has been addressed yet, but have you tried stopping GPUz from running in the background? GPUz was accessing a register on the R9 290's that is shouldn't, causing them to go into a funny state.

Anyone having this problem? Anytime I switch the primary display around or start a game, the displays take forever to switch
We've seen this issue with GPUz as well. If you are running GPUz please quit the app and try again.

Back
Top Bottom