• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Soldato
Another thing which is good about 1080 vs 980ti is the TDP...

Yes it makes a very small difference to electricity use...

But mainly it will dump less heat in case and make less noise, 980ti = more noise and heat.

Soldato
Radox-o, was that the old tomb raider or ROTR you used?

Looks like the 1080 gets a decent lead in newer or DX12 games, but only about 10-20% in the other games.

Still that titan X at 1475mhz is a lot faster than the 980ti I had so it will be a bigger increase for me, but in newer games / drivers and DX12 etc. I think the 1080 will be further ahead so still worth getting over the titan X as you can probably upgrade for almost nothing.

Old Tomb Raider, sadly do not have the new one. Yep, some titles seem to benefit nicely while others only slightly. Either way the card is happily ahead of the TX in most cases even if the gap is not massive on occasions.

Yep, on the whole while it is reference design and having used TX reference and knowing what to expect, I am pleasantly surprised that this one runs quieter at like for like fan profiles. Aside from the Fan issue in one of the cards :(

Caporegime
Erm did you not just make at least 500 posts saying how much you dislike the 1080?!? haha

Spammed all the 1080 threads for 2 weeks saying how bad it is, then got one anyway LOL.

I have no intention of keeping it...

I'm just playing the retail game...

Its a crap card and crap price....What do you think I am ? a noob?:p

Soldato
I have no intention of keeping it...

I'm just playing the retail game...

Its a crap card and crap price....What do you think I am ? a noob?:p

What are you going to do? Swap it for 1070 SLI with the SLI problems and another 200?

Unfortunately it is 50/50 if someone says "no problems" or "SLI is horrible", when it is 100% of people saying "no problems" same as a single card, if that ever happens, I will get SLI.

Maybe DX12 and the SLI HB bridge will make it better but too early to know.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What are you going to do? Swap it for 1070 SLI with all the various SLI problems and another 200?

I'll get it, test it, bench it, play doom, then return it,

By that time I'll get a 1070 delivered.

I'm sick of being without a GFX card....If online e-shops wanna take the *** with pre order pricing and ETA's I'll play them at their own game.

I'll be playing doom on Saturday.

Caporegime
He played himself :D
giphy.gif

DSR;)

Soldato
Mine arrived :)

Suprised, they do sound quieter then my refrence Titan X's at like for like fan profile, not absolute silent but a good deal quieter, I imagine after market will be even nicer. One of the two OC's very nicely, hitting just under 2200 Mhz before crashing on stock volts while the second is managing just abit above 2100. In SLI for gaming both running happy at 2050 Mhz no issue and 11050 on the Memory with minimum of tweaks.

Will post some tests in abit of the 1080 at stock and OC vs what my Titan X did at stock and OC. :)

2ihmix5.jpg

2u3uyyt.jpg

Tempted to buy a third card to fill that gap :D

Wow that PC looks good, are you going to WC the 1080's?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Erm did you not just make at least 500 posts saying how much you dislike the 1080?!? haha

Spammed all the 1080 threads for 2 weeks saying how bad it is, then got one anyway LOL.

This is why the UK market is so ****** up, so so many people screaming about how awfully priced it is, how the FE is a slap in the face, how Nvidia are just milking customers, how performance increase for the price is no where near worth it..... then buy it anyway.

They price them up and then retailers in the UK gouge more precisely because of this attitude. In other countries people have a different mentality, they go hey, it's a rip off.... then don't buy it. The thing I don't get is, if everyone is sensible and people don't pay the gouged prices, the prices come down. By giving in when you know it's a rip off they'll increase the price more every generation until you do finally stop buying. Now you can do that in 5 generations when this level of upper midrange card is $1000, or you could have done it at $500 980s. You hurt yourself in the pocket with this card but also the next card, and the next, etc.

Back
Top Bottom