• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
Little tip for people doing lots of tweaking in wattman - set your min fan level quite high so that if you get a crash in game or benchmark it starts at a high level as it can take a long time for the fan to ramp back up and the gpu can still be quite hot

Giz

Associate
I'm aiming to get one of these reference cards once stock calms down, but I'm concerned about a couple of the issues raised here and elsewhere (the high PCIe power draw and the need to undervolt to prevent throttling). Can these be solved via driver updates or is it better to wait for a new version (or go non-reference - bearing in mind my budget is under £200)

Also what temperatures are people seeing? A quick scan of the thread says anywhere from 80-88c under load, might cook me in my small room.

Caporegime
I'm aiming to get one of these reference cards once stock calms down, but I'm concerned about a couple of the issues raised here and elsewhere (the high PCIe power draw and the need to undervolt to prevent throttling). Can these be solved via driver updates or is it better to wait for a new version (or go non-reference - bearing in mind my budget is under £200)

Also what temperatures are people seeing? A quick scan of the thread says anywhere from 80-88c under load, might cook me in my small room.

PCI-E power draw is not a concern unless you are using a Motherboard from the early 90's, however if you enable compatibility mode then the power draw will remain within spec.

You do not need to undervolt to keep temperatures reasonable, that is a myth. However if you do undervolt it is possible to configure Wattman to have the GPU hold its boost clock and remain very quiet with temperatures around 75-80c. If you undervolt, it just allows you to run a lower fan speed as there is less heat to dissipate.

Associate
What Matt said

I have a Nitro+ OC 8gb that runs games around 80c with a 2000 rpm fan speed, Its undervolted with a raised power target to hold the boost and has a nice memory overclock.

Its only 80c because the thermals in my small case are bad

I get over 14,300 graphics score in firestrike with it

Giz

Caporegime
Just Installed my 480 and haven't bothered to tweak anything yet, The nitro sure looks awesome though

hpuBPf8

There you go.

QlrEC6r.jpg

Associate
I made some tests with my Nitro+ OC 8GB.

I was curious what would this Nitro+ do with REF clock.
I set to 1266 MHz with 1.050V in Wattman. Settings are the following:
wgs12x.jpg

I ran Heaven benchmark to stress GPU for longer period of time:
zwxs0z.jpg

Impressive, 128 Watt GPU consumption, 74 °C at ~1740 RPM.

These are my gaming settings right now:
0fdb263dbe.jpg
With Fire Strike result:
0fde418189.jpg

I also made a test with MSI 480 Gaming's clock. (+memory at 2200 MHz) :D
0fe2d2d1f9.jpg

Associate
I keep seeing wattman mentioned, do you have to use that now instead of afterburner with these?
Should get mine soon :) Replace the old 780

I dont think afterburner has been updated for the rx480 yet,so you need to use wattman,but the sapphire trixx software should be avalible soon.

Back
Top Bottom