Tell me about the F01 7-Series (Probably one for Fox)

Lol at the notion that a XJ is "completely different" to a 7 or S. I've looked a lot at these three very cars as competitors as a new family car and it is very much a case of preference, they all fundamentally do identical jobs and are very similarly specified :p

I still think the XJ interior is epic. I think that would sway me in the direction.

This is kind of where I'm at. I went and drove another XJ yesterday and it is just gorgeous inside (apart from the kinda shoddy plastics on the air vents). It was a Premium Luxury rather than a Portfolio but the odd thing is that the main screen seemed to be significantly higher resolution than the one I used in a Portfolio. I'm guessing that this is because Dual-View reduces the horizontal resolution by 50%.
TBH I don't care about Dual-View but I do care about all the other kit on the Portfolio such as cooled seats, the B&W hifi, etc. It's a pity you can't have the Portfolio without Dual-View.

I think the 7 is not going to happen. I've been scouring Autotrader and the BMW site and to get a decent LCI with the right options it's going to stretch my budget too far. Same goes for the 6. Still looking at F10s though.

F10's are bizarrely poor value at the lower end of the market. For a nice 530d with good spec you are looking at £15k for a 6-7 year old one which is nuts - even more for an M Sport.

When did used cars get so expensive?!

[TW]Fox;29896775 said:
F10's are bizarrely poor value at the lower end of the market. For a nice 530d with good spec you are looking at £15k for a 6-7 year old one which is nuts - even more for an M Sport.

Funnily enough it's something I've noticed.

Was looking at e92 M3's recently and noticing a steady increase in prices for them even over the last 6 months.

Looked at F10's for a while as well and noticing that they're holding very steady with slight increases at the lower end.

This is kind of where I'm at. I went and drove another XJ yesterday and it is just gorgeous inside (apart from the kinda shoddy plastics on the air vents). It was a Premium Luxury rather than a Portfolio but the odd thing is that the main screen seemed to be significantly higher resolution than the one I used in a Portfolio. I'm guessing that this is because Dual-View reduces the horizontal resolution by 50%.
TBH I don't care about Dual-View but I do care about all the other kit on the Portfolio such as cooled seats, the B&W hifi, etc. It's a pity you can't have the Portfolio without Dual-View.

You may well be able to find a Premium Luxury that's been specced with the better toys you want. I went for that seat upgrade (front only) amongst other things as an example. At this end of the market, new buyers tend to go for exactly what they want rather than stick to a preset trim level. I always got the feel that the Portfolio target market was where the owner sits in the back (and not just when the wife confiscates the keys after one too many G&T's at the golf club).

Your comment on the dual-screen vs standard screen resolution makes some sense to me now as I don't think mine is bad at all, but have never seen the BMW system up close to compare. I was wondering what the fuss was all about as it comes up a lot in these threads. Made no difference to me as I was coming from an X-Type where you had these quaint things called switches.

[TW]Fox;29896775 said:

The question is, are people buying? I've been looking at XJs and 7s for a few weeks and I keep seeing the same cars still for sale.

I think I might end up trying to test drive an xj as the hearts always wanted one but the 7 made more sense.
i'd also agree the 7 looks a bit bland unless its an m sport or modified. I only got mine as I got the full alpina 7 kit that i'm planning to fit to it as it'll set it off better

Back
Top Bottom