AOL Users in 'ere please.

Associate
Just migrated 5 people (myself, in laws and friends) over from AOL to other ISP's

Eaxh one had issues with the service, gaming was slow, filtered content and some sites didn't like AOL ip addys.

Thier Tech support is okay if you get through to the Irish call centre (the dogs danglies) but that happens once in a blue moon, you'll get through to a very badely informed Indian/Pakistan Call centre and they are rude, clueless and hardly ever fix your issue. They have a funny relationship with BT in the sense faults take ages to fix and you have to phone them back to find out whats wrong on the 7th day of rasising a fault any longer and they have to report it once again and go through the whole diagnosis process ie is your PC plugged in lol (takes about 30mins - 45mins)

They also install software on your PC that you use to acsess the internet and if you use it's internal browser whatever firewall/antivirus/spyware software you have installed it allows spyware and some viruses thru as it mostly incompatibale with any protection software other than what they supply, which is also crap.

Thier "Unlimited" is starting to get cracked down on too as i know a few people that have had warning letters due to thier useage of thier connection (nothing illegal downloaded withone of them) both were downloading just over 50GB a month one on gold one on platinum.. so assume AOL is a just over 50GB service! I've also witnessed them traffic shaping.. So be aware.

The words/context of "ISP" & "Unlimited" in the UK does not under any circumstance mean Unlimited, FACT!

Live Support is a joke.

And finally I have also learnt from the Irish call centre that thier jobs are in doubt so the customer service will just go totally down the pan when it is closed/reduced.

It's so bad i'll be helping to move over another 4 friends next week..

Zen (a tad expensive but one of the best services around), Bulldog (great if they have a LLU in your area), Pipex are all better alternatives.

Nildram are also excelent if you don't use P2P too much. Think thier Customer Support has taken a battering lately tho, not heard of any issues personally!

EDIT: You can get round not using thier software but you have to ocasionally (billing, live support etc) but even once is too many times.

IF you must use AOL or are stuck with them under contract best router is one that is supported by them, Netgear DG834G

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on AOL and trying to set up a wireless network was really hard, the customer service was rubbish, they never logged your calls so when you called back 5 mins later you were back to square 1.

Soldato
ants83 said:
Ive done 35gigs was ok.
that per month?
cos i can get through that in a week
nearly went for Aol until i saw someone saying that 24/7 and your speed was cut. :(
i am a heavy user i admit so i would be no better off and by some of the posts here thier support sucks
looks like i will stick with Eclipse for now then even though i am only getting 1 meg d/l speeds if i am lucky :mad:

Permabanned
ANDARIAL said:
that per month?
cos i can get through that in a week
nearly went for Aol until i saw someone saying that 24/7 and your speed was cut. :(
i am a heavy user i admit so i would be no better off and by some of the posts here thier support sucks
looks like i will stick with Eclipse for now then even though i am only getting 1 meg d/l speeds if i am lucky :mad:
defo speed cut on 24/7 m8, its a no go if u do 24/7

Soldato
@LoadsaMoney
lol no mate am into jdramas ;) among other japanese and korean stuff :)
@bbreezeuk
will def have to rethink my migrating to them then,still getting 1 meg speeds on this 3meg line so i am no worse off than when i was on a 1 meg adsl line plus i can surf as well now(well it did slow down my surfing when i was getting good connection to torrents)

Caporegime
OP
Just got a couple of questions, i was gona start a new thread, but i thought ill just put em in this thread as its about AOL anyway, and it would save creating another. :)

Right, ive received my AOL pack this morning, modem etc.... and it says that when connecting i need to agree to the terms and conditions before i can get online.

I know that when you insert the CD to install their sofware then the terms and conditions will appear during the setup, and when you accept, it continues the installation.

Now seen as i am not going to use their software, and just setting it up as a new connection as described above by Draeger, would that still be ok, and soon as i connect that way, it will be like i have already agreed to the terms and conditions.

Also the letter i got says i can access my e-mails already before i get the welcome pack to see if there is anymore information about my order, now presumably i can access that from the ISP i am on now, as the welcome pack for AOL is their modem and software, and i do already have my screen name and password.

EDIT: Just found out that i can use my modem ive already got anyway so i won't need to install anything, ill just need to do the new connection jobbie, i know i won't get support on it though if owt goes wrong, so hopefully nothing will. :p

I suppose that answers me terms and conditions answer as well then. :D

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thanks, ive been trying to login to it, but i keep getting its unavailable, some error code pops on, and some ID code, keeps saying try in a few moments, but ive been trying nearly all day, just wanted to see if there ws any info in there for me about my migration. :(

Associate
Like a burk i signed up to AO HELL 2 weeks ago, im running x64 and the AO HELL software apparently doesnt work with that operating system.
I spent just under 3 hours on the phone to them today trying to cancel my account so i could move to Eclipse.
THEY ARE A COMPLETE JOKE, spoke to 5 different people and each 1 of them gave me the run around, ended up having to speak to a supervisor to try sort things out.
Lol an indian guy started to explain where my ctrl key was and how to use it, he just wasnt listening to a word i was saying.
NEVER EVER GO WITH AO HELL.
sorry to bring bad news

Caporegime
OP
You should have done the above method that was posted, as you do not have to use their software. :(

Incidentally another quick question. :D

Now seen as ive already got my Tiscali modem installed, as im on still using them obviously, could i go ahead now and create the connection to AOL, and just have it ready here waiting on my desktop for when i get switched, or would it interfere with my Tiscali, which i can't see really as i would just have it sitting there waiting and not accessing it, if you know what i mean.

Thanks. :)

Permabanned
hey guys,
now i have set up my netgear dg632 modem for me to get on the internet i need some help getting another computer to use it via the ethernet port on the back

cheers

Caporegime
Connect it up, it should automatically get an IP, and off you go?

If you expect us to help you, you need to give more information (and starting your own thread might be an idea too).

Permabanned
tolien said:
Connect it up, it should automatically get an IP, and off you go?

If you expect us to help you, you need to give more information (and starting your own thread might be an idea too).
i have tried that and i have started my own thread but none replyed

Back
Top Bottom