• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To those who said a 980ti wasn't really powerful enough for smooth 4k

Associate
I've had mine for a few days and I've yet to find a game that it struggles with. Fallout 4, project cars and the witcher 3 are all handled fine with AA off (I can't even notice any improvement with it on). None of these games have dipped below 30fps at any point... Perfectly playable. Why did some people (not on here) say that it couldn't handle 4k properly... What planet are they on!!

Permabanned
I've had mine for a few days and I've yet to find a game that it struggles with. Fallout 4, project cars and the witcher 3 are all handled fine with AA off (I can't even notice any improvement with it on). None of these games have dipped below 30fps at any point... Perfectly playable. Why did some people (not on here) say that it couldn't handle 4k properly... What planet are they on!!

You kind of prove the opposite when you put the bar so low, ie 30 fps.

A lot of people don't consider that playable.
I wouldn't consider paying around a grand for a graphics card and 4k monitor to play titles at 30 fps.
Obviously it's personal preference and I'm glad you are happy with what you got but IMO until next gen's big cards we are not 4k ready.

Associate

even a Radeon HD7970 from 4 years ago can run most games at 4k over 30fps, when you teak setting correctly.

Soldato

Different people will have different opinions to be fair. Other prefer higher FPS (120Hz +) and will swear anything less is unplayable.

On a single 980Ti I was getting ~45 FPS with Witcher 3 4K at 4K mostly ultra/high and DOF off. I found it playable but it was borderline sometimes IMHO. Now I am running an R9 Fury at ~40 with a 4K Samsung 32" Freesync IPS monitor and it feels even smoother due to the adaptive sync tech.

Associate
OP
You kind of prove the opposite when you put the bar so low, ie 30 fps.

A lot of people don't consider that playable.
I wouldn't consider paying around a grand for a graphics card and 4k monitor to play titles at 30 fps.
Obviously it's personal preference and I'm glad you are happy with what you got but IMO until next gen's big cards we are not 4k ready.

I was using 30fps as the minimum playable standard just to illustrate the point that no matter what was happening on screen, it hasn't approached that number. I would not be satisfied it it was averaging around that figure. It averages around 50fps or higher, and to be honest I don't even notice the difference when it goes up to 60. So yes, I'm definitely happy with it! If I was playing FPS games for a living I probably wouldn't be, but for games like the witcher 3 etc it feels perfectly smooth. 4k really does look absolutely immense...

Soldato
GTA5 is not very playable at times.
Crysis 3 has the same problem maxed out.

Otherwise most other games are fine but you need something like water or AIO to keep the GPU cool otherwise it throttles around 83C which is easily reached in those games on a warm day or when the ambient air temps are higher due to central heating!

When the GPU throttles @ 83C games start to become unplayable very fast as the GPU cannot cool down long enough to keep FPS consistent it just gets hotter & hotter as does the case & all components inside the case like the PSU which is critical to keep cool.

Associate
People's definitions of what constitutes 'handling' a resolution differ. I'm in the camp that says 60fps without AA with good/high settings in a demanding game is 'handling'. For others, maxed out settings with AA would be 'handling'.

Associate
I would agree with the OP, I have found everything perfectly playable at 4k, provided you don't want any AA, (which I personally think you can do without when you have such a high resolution), and are willing to drop a few settings.

Fallout 4 was spot on, if you had no AA and put the god rays on low. (everything else high/ultra)
Likewise arkham knight, I ran with no AA and all the gameworks turned off and it ran flawlessly, despite what people may say about the performance of that particular game.

Note that I always turn of any motion blur or stupid DoF effects which probably helps a lot.

Anyway, the way I see it, if you find 50-60 fps acceptable the 980ti is great, it also depends largely on what kind of games you like.
Over the next few months, all the games that I want to play (Xcom2 and Constructor HD) aren't going to push my card too hard.

Whilst I would like to upgrade when the next gen comes around, the performance increase needs to be 50-75% for the same price for me to really consider it.

Associate
I'm not an elitist and I don't need a rock solid 60fps, but Fallout 4 at 4K on my 980Ti was dipping to 35-40fps at times, and you can really feel it, which ruins immersion.

Of course the 980Ti can 'handle 4k smoothly'. So can the GTX970. Heck, even the GTX960. If you're willing to lower settings!

When people are talking about a 750 euro graphics card like the 980Ti, they generally are talking about 4K enthusiast performance i.e. 4k, high-ultra, 60fps.

I had a 4K monitor but I ended up swapping it for a 1440p because most new games at ultra were not really playable on the GTX980Ti unless I dropped a lot of settings.

Back
Top Bottom