• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To those who said a 980ti wasn't really powerful enough for smooth 4k

Associate
I think some considered 30fps acceptable some time ago for 4k. I seem to remember seeing 4k monitors at 30hz. So if monitor company's where making them then some people decided that was acceptable. I bet some where gamers.

Caporegime
Tbh, one mans definition of how a game plays and the settings he uses will be different from anothers. As long as it gives you what you require then thats the main thing.:)

too to me 60 fps min and a 980 ti x2 cant even do tht. 30 fps makes me feel Nauseous.

Soldato
I've had mine for a few days and I've yet to find a game that it struggles with. Fallout 4, project cars and the witcher 3 are all handled fine with AA off (I can't even notice any improvement with it on). None of these games have dipped below 30fps at any point... Perfectly playable. Why did some people (not on here) say that it couldn't handle 4k properly... What planet are they on!!

Well,

You mention smooth and playable - two different things. Is 30fps playable? yep. Some titles perfectly, some ok, some pretty rough but they are playable.

Are they smooth? well, 50fps minimum for that IMO. smooth gaming in 4k costs ££££.

Man of Honour
90fps @2160p in Witcher 3 maxed out is nice even if my monitor is only good for 60fps.

The extra fps seems to make games more responsive.

Maybe it is only my imagination but once I see games running @30fps it feels like you are wading through treacle.

Soldato
As above really. Anything below 60fps looks "juddery" to me and ruins immersion. Even with 980ti sli i drop to 60fps and below in some games, witcher 3 especially.

Mobster
Soldato
I've had mine for a few days and I've yet to find a game that it struggles with. Fallout 4, project cars and the witcher 3 are all handled fine with AA off (I can't even notice any improvement with it on). None of these games have dipped below 30fps at any point... Perfectly playable. Why did some people (not on here) say that it couldn't handle 4k properly... What planet are they on!!

You have to remember that most of the 'people' in here use fraps, and have it running while gaming and will go full retard if their 4k experience drops from 60 to 59 fps.

You're doing the right thing, playing games and enjoying them.

Associate
I can't go back to anything under 60fps on the pc, it's extremely noticeable and I can't fathom how people think it's playable, especially on modern monitors/tv's.

My 980ti at 1400mhz can run witcher 3 at 4k without aa/hairworks etc but it dips between 50-25fps and is generally a horrible experience compared to locked 60fps at 1440p.

Soldato
I can't go back to anything under 60fps on the pc, it's extremely noticeable and I can't fathom how people think it's playable, especially on modern monitors/tv's.

My 980ti at 1400mhz can run witcher 3 at 4k without aa/hairworks etc but it dips between 50-25fps and is generally a horrible experience compared to locked 60fps at 1440p.

Each to own tbh. I have a 4k monitor and don't really notice anything at 45fps to 60fps in difference.

Edit: Should say I can see the difference around 30fps mark but tbh I am enjoying the game not to worry. And it is brilliant if you can get 144MHz monitor and the FPS to match. It is certainly more notable to me as you get higher rather than lower.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom