New diet critique please...

Soldato
I want to bulk up a bit but not put on much fat so here's my diet plan for the next few months...

Although the portion sizes aren't there I will just eat as much I can. Am I eating the right stuffs at the right time and getting all the vital thing's I need to be healthy too?

P.S. The google recipie thing's are just for me to do lol.

Breakfast: 5am - 6:30am
1 X Mueseli with fruits & nuts
2 X Omega 3 pills

Second Breakfast: 9am - 11AM
2 X Fruit
1 X Low fat fruit youghurt
1 X Wholemeal bread turkey sandwich (google recipies)

Lunch: 12pm - 1:30pm
1 X Mixed vegetables
3 X Egg
1 X Tuna

First Dinner: 3pm - 5pm
1 X Mixed vegetables
1 X Chicken
1 X Fruit
2 X Omega 3 pills

GYM

Second Dinner: 8pm - 10pm
1 X Mixed vegetables
1 X Chicken
1 X Fruit
2 X Omega 3 pills

RUN (Optional)

Pre Sleep: 10:30pm - 11:30pm
1 X Cottage cheese (google recipies)

Fruit choices:
Banana
Apple
Plum
Orange

Looks like you're skimping on the carbs. It honestly doesn't look much to me. I'm not sure you need so many Omega 3 pills, maybe try eating some fish?

Last edited:
Looks ok but ideally you'd probably swap the muesli out for some oats and have some protein, e.g. what I do which is oats, banana, whey protein, and milk.

I thought Museli was better than porridge oats?

As for carbs I don't want to have too many as they're fattening right? I feel ok energy wise at the moment as the breakfast is high in carbs and the bread in the sandwich have some carbs too. The fruit will give me a natural sugar rush I guess? Maybe I should incorporate some brown pasta in some fo the meals?

You won't grow if you don't take in enough calories. It's tricky to bulk and stay lean at the same time, and quite a slow process. Essentially you have to get the diet spot on so you're not eating more than your body needs.

I find muesli very sugary. At least with oats you know what's going in.

The museli I get is just plain museli with raisins, nuts, bananas and morrisons own brand so I don't think it'll be too bad? Maybe I need to caculate the weight/portions i'm having and calories to see if this diet is making me bulk up a bit or not.

As for cottage cheese it's low in fat anyways. Should I be getting a low in fat variety or just the normal full one?

Cottage cheese is fine.

Oats are better than muesli which is loaded with sugar.

As long as you eat wholemeal carbs it's not a big issue, you do need some carbs in your diet. Fructose does convert to useful carbs but does also create a big insulin spike, but that can be controlled with cinnamon if you like it.

Try and workout the macros of your diet (i.e. daily intake of protein, carbs and fats) Getting calories from protein alone is not easy. However getting a high ratio of protein, but high level of calories from carbs is much easier. Carbs != fattening, if you eat properly and sensibly. :)

I advocate low carb diets, but no 0 carb diets. I choose to eat carbs but the right ones and in a good balance with other nutritional foods.

Tell us the total number of calories from your diet and the macros I'd be interested.

On the whole it looks pretty good though - but give me an idea of what it equates to as you haven't given portion size etc...

Wait have I just slipped into a time-warp. I double checked the OP date but its today? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure we have been through all this before and Vegeta just ignored the advice?

Lol, stop bringing up the past and let me try and move on... I'm finding it hard to do cardio & put on weight so i'll do the odd jog just to keep up my fitness.

I realised I just wasn't eating enough but i'm finding it really hard timewise with work to get in as many meals as I want.

Recent studies have shown no significant benefit to eating 6 meals, rather than three meals a day, so its largely down to preference. I MUCH prefer eating smaller meals throughout the day, but with my job I can't.

You need to actually decide the kcalories you're aiming for daily, and the balance of protein, carbs, and fats.

Your diet is better than most. Change the muesli for porridge, add fresh sliced banana, raisins and some agave nectar if it's boring. Add fish and more lean meat and you'll be on to a winner.

I'm actually ok with your carb levels. You're refueling in the morning, and as long as you're doing the same post-workout, you'll be ok.

In terms of cardio, there's a lot of science behind proving the cardio and resistance training in the same session will seriously detriment muscle gain. If you want to do cardio (and you definately should!) then either do it in the morning/evening seperate from training, or do it on different days.

Let's see if you actually listen and progress this time :p

Ant :cool:

Carbs are your friend. Eating them in excess with no exercise will lead to obesity. It cost me a fortune in food when I was on low carb to make up the calories from other foods.

If you're going to bulk you need to not care if you put on a bit of fat. Try and eat as cleanly as possible but like others have mentioned it's quite difficult. Deffinatley get some oats, brown rice and brown pasta in there somewhere. Even if it's not every day as long as it's a few times a week.

Right guys cheers. I'll add pasta to one of my meals and change the museli to porridge.

As for cardio I rarely do it maybe once or twice as week to keep some fat off and keep up the fitness.

Make sure this is some form of H.I.I.T as opposed to an epic bout of steady state.

Yeah that was my big mistake in the past - I used to run upto 14 miles some days and I could actually do 9 mile a day at one point pre holiday for a month... And my diet was bed then aswell so it didn't make that much difference. I just tend to run the 3.5 miles now and HIIT the distance to the best of my ability.

Back
Top Bottom