New diet critique please...

Indeed.

HIIT can be used doing hill sprints (better on the joints than sprinting on flat), skipping, cycling (usually cycle/spinning in gyms), rowing to an extent but it's not easy.

You should be feeling pretty worn out. It's a great workout as you're constantly raising your heart rate, then letting it fall, raising it, then fall etc... If you take the area under a graph plotted of heart rate vs time etc... you can work out the effectiveness of the exercise. Opposed to SS where to get the same volume of intensity is very very demanding on your body, and I'd suggest not particularly conducive to achieving desired results.

I know most of you aren't going to like it and I'm certainly not recommending it but I don't do any, and haven't for a good while. Young lad, obviously super ecto, running should be very low on your list of priorities.

I like to do a little once a week and it's nothing majorly heavy. It's a rest day after all!

With any extra mass that's being put on I also want my heart to become a stronger muscle too and cope with it.

Don't want to be working up a sweat just standing up and sitting down.

I like to keep a little fitness. I don't think it's needed to keep lean more fitness and not allowing myself too get so bad that I can't run say if the occasion arises where I have 'dun' like big guys after me in a nightclub and i'll just run away from you :P

P.S. I don't think i'm a ectomoprh? lol.

That's the thing, I can bloody peg it fast (I play centre in Rugby) so for a 100kg bloke it's not slow! :p Don't underestimate fatties like me :D

SEriously though, fitness is important. Heck even if you only do some HIIT it's better than nothing.

I can run faster than most people I know, but for <100 metres and even then I'd be out of breath. In day to day life I have found I don't need to run long distances ever, but if it's "fight or flight" then your body/ the adrenaline can make you do amazing things (including running faster and a lot longer than usual :p).

It's just to do with ego aswell fitness. Because people know I can run like a ethiopian that's kind of a trait of mine now and I don't want to lose it? Like i'm sure you like being called a bear/beast Freefaller lol.

I'm not too fussed if I can't run for an hour comfortably. As long as I can maintain half an hour and 3-4 miles without to much difficulty I'm not fussed.

I can sprint fast enough to catch anybody that may have offended me who tries to leg it and a gentle tap of the heels should bring them down!

Running I've never really enjoyed for extended periods of time. Rowing however I love.

Ahh right. I know that cooking denatures whey, but I just gave it a go in the microwave anyway. Remind me not to do it again, the milk's completely frothed and the pre-blended oats I used taste awful and I've just realised it could be because they're really old. :/

I can run faster than most people I know, but for <100 metres and even then I'd be out of breath. In day to day life I have found I don't need to run long distances ever, but if it's "fight or flight" then your body/ the adrenaline can make you do amazing things (including running faster and a lot longer than usual :p).

Hehe, yeah I'm pretty nippy on my feet and as you say fight or flight keeps you going (I've experienced this myself). However, I hate long distance running, however I can just keep running but I just don't do it quickly. Same with swimming and so on I can just keep going but just not v.quickly.

Still I can play squash for a good hour and be fine, as I can play a full game of rugby (taking big hits but no broken bones!!) :D

It's a different sort of fitness for long distance stuff - and besides it hurts my knees to run for ages :(

It's just to do with ego aswell fitness. Because people know I can run like a ethiopian that's kind of a trait of mine now and I don't want to lose it? Like i'm sure you like being called a bear/beast Freefaller lol.

LOL! Called a bear and beast? Dunno, is that what I'm called?! :o

I'm not too fussed if I can't run for an hour comfortably. As long as I can maintain half an hour and 3-4 miles without to much difficulty I'm not fussed.

I can sprint fast enough to catch anybody that may have offended me who tries to leg it and a gentle tap of the heels should bring them down!

Running I've never really enjoyed for extended periods of time. Rowing however I love.

Yeah sounds about the same as me, functional fitness rather than excessive uber long distance crap - I have my car for that :p

Functional fitness is important though no matter what anyone says. It's just ridiculous having people out of breath going up stairs or going for a short jog.

Cardiovascular work and endurance training have a wealth of benefits. Not least of which is creating more capillaries to feed your muscles. More capillaries = more rapid delivery of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) + glycogen = ability to lift harder and longer.

It's interesting, the reason you strong lads can sprint is because it's primarily facilitated through the anaerobic (atp and creatine phosphate) system, using type II fibers, all of which as lifters you have developed highly. Endurance training works type I muscle fibers and the aerobic (oxidative metabolism) system. Aerobism is far more efficient in its use of glycogen and doesn't rapidly deplete atp, however it's super demanding on the cardiovascular system and as lifters, you've got it tough because to maintain a steady state cardio, oxgyen and glycogen demands are much higher than with those chaps who have little mass.

Ramble aside. Do cardio. It makes you lift stronger, feel better and reduces risk of coronary heart desease, stroke, high cholesterol and massive variety of other illnesses. It also makes you not look silly when as FF says, you climb a flight of stairs and your lungs fall out of your arse :p

Yeah sounds about the same as me, functional fitness rather than excessive uber long distance crap - I have my car for that :p

Functional fitness is important though no matter what anyone says.

Amen brother.

FreeFaller has it pretty much bang in terms of my views (and they are only MY views :p) with a good balance of lifting and cardio work. I do a lot of plyometric and intergrated work, but that's a training preference thing. Deadlifting 200kilograms is way beyond me :p I'd poo out a kidney.

Ant :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom