Anyone own a 650D?

Soldato
Afternoon all

Just curious to know peoples opinions on the Corsair 650D case. Im thinking of selling my NZXT Phantom and i was really keen on getting the new NZXT switch but then came across the 650D and kind of liked the look of it.

Would anyone recommend this case over the new NZXT switch? Im thinking of trying a watercool setup sometime soon so i was curious to know if people have managed a good watercool setup in the 650D

Hope you can help me choose

Cheers

Liam

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that matey and for the link as well. I just noticed you have an antec kuhler 620 in your sig been thinking of getting one of those if i find watercooling a little difficult as an easy way out. How do you find it?

Soldato
A few taken during the build. Sadly no dual rads :( Just a single 240.

Pump is still loose as shown in the picture. Reservoir is housed in the bottom two slots of the DVD drive bays. It's an EK 150.

Soldato
OP
Looks awsome guys thanks for that, im now stuck between the nzxt switch and the 650D!!

Are the top fan and front fan removable? i see that they are 200mm i was just curious to know if i could replace them with a different brand or if they are generally quite good anyway

Soldato
They are removable. As you can see in the pics, the top 200mm fan has been replaced by the RAD. It's fitted just as you would fit two 120mm fans. And the front fan only has fittings for another 200mm.

Soldato
Got a 280 Rad up top and a 120 at the back in my 650D

This post will give you some good hints on watercooling in a 650D:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18344480

This WAS my tutorial (sorry took most of the pics down):
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18349769

Hated the bay res in this case (noisey and a PITA to bleed / flush) so changed to EK res top (much easier to maintain!):

<Clickable Thumb

This is my current setup cooling a [email protected] and a 7970 :)

20120125_224649.jpg

20120124_203153.jpg

You can easy fit a slim 280mm rad up top but have to use fans on pull (install fans at top) if you don't want to mod the case. However with a slight cut on the top plastic holding the External top SATA connector you can then mount the rad with a push setup like mine. Dremel + 2 minutes = job done lol. Otherwise you could use a 240mm rad quite easily with a push fan setup, or just stick with using a pull setup. hth

Last edited:
Soldato
I replaced the front fan with a CoolerMaster MegaFlow as above and it was a lot quieter. But since then my 3 Scythe GTs have become noticable and make a racket, which is a shame! :(

I just had to replace the blue LEDs on my CM MF with some white once so it matched the power/HDD light :)

Soldato
I've also replaced the front fan with a CM Megaflow 200, what a difference.

the 650D is a great case for watercooling, its not the roomiest case on the market by a long shot but still plenty space to fit a decent loop in, with a little bit of modding, i have managed to fit a 360mm rad up top and a 200mm ran behind the front fan, please excuse the messy tubing at the bottom, also one of the 200mm fans is not mounted properly, its a work in progress, will be rerouting the hosing swapping out the fluid for mayhems pastel and changing the res in the very near future.
DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

DSCF0984.jpg

but as you can see, the case comfortably houses a watercooling system, there are quite a few 650D watercooled builds on these forums, a very popular choice.

Soldato
I've also replaced the front fan with a CM Megaflow 200, what a difference.

How does the CM Megaflow compare to the Corsair fans noise wise? I am very disappointed with the noise level of this case. Even with the fan controller set to low its still noisier than my old case (akasa eclipse) with the fans set to high in that and the cooling is about the same if not slightly worse.

DSC_2469-3.jpg

I removed the mesh grill and it made a bit of difference but was still too loud. So I will now either get 2 x decent quiet 120mm fans or try that coolermaster fan.

Soldato
the megaflow is considerably quieter in my opinion, hardly any noise at all from the front, i can leave it on full rpm at all times and not find the fan noise obtrusive, something i couldnt do with the corsair fan, but bare in mind i havnt run the megaflow without the rad in there so i dont know how that effects noise:confused:

Soldato
I'll give it a try for £10. Seems a bit cheap when I just paid £10 for an on offer 120mm Akasa Apache fan.

failing that i'll probably get 2 x 120mm apache fans as they do seem very quiet and also will be less visible through the front mesh.

Is it possible to hook up 4 pin PWM fans, such as the akasa apache to the 650D's fan controller?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom