• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4GB vs 2GB.

Associate
For a single card I would go 7970

For 2 GPUs up to 1600p I would go GTX 690 (no microstutter)

For resolutions above 1600p HD 7970s

Best bang for buck HD 7950s

GTX 670/80s at the moment can not compete with the HD 7950/70s

This is very helpful, someone (gregster i think) mentioned you might advise in one of my threads but i have managed to get some advice here.

im on a single monitor (Dell U3011) at 2560x1600 for 2D gaming. Then for 3D i turn to a 3d vision ready projector at 720/1080p. 3D vision rules out AMD cards for me.

Soldato
Who has £100+ each year to chuck on a card lol?

People expect cards to last, only people who bench and stuff will waste money each year on upgrading, a small hit?

I dont class that as a small hit, people who have got 680s £400+ will barely get 300 quid off them id take that as a huge hit and then adding another £100-200 for the upgrade? In the mean time losing out on gaming when doing the transaction?

Its even worse for people like greg with Sli, he has to sell 2 cards which have water blocks on which may not fit the new card hes getting and then get 2 new cards if he wants to keep his multiscreen ;\

Just seems, not smart to me.

I had a 285 for 3 years and i still played games at decent settings, although it was dx10 it didnt bother me at all, it was still better then consoles.

And i sold that for 40 quid so i cant see how selling them after 3 years loses anything really.

picardfacepalmx.jpg

Permabanned
I would like to think that everyone could afford 27p a day to upgrade to the latest GPU. I spend £100 easily when me and the wife go out drinking, so paying a £100 on something that will last a year is good sense.

So how come everyone hasnt got the latest cards?

Work that out since your all so clever lol.

Obv you 3 focus computers more than anything else this is why you can afford it, it doesnt mean its the best option, just what you prefer.

Caporegime
So how come everyone hasnt got the latest cards?

Work that out since your all so clever lol.

Obv you 3 focus computers more than anything else this is why you can afford it, it doesnt mean its the best option, just what you prefer.

Some people are not fussed on having the latest tech but don't keep derping on about it.

Forum name and seller name gives you a hint at why we are here.

Associate
Right I’m getting a new Rig later in the year probably near the end as I don’t see the point spending till the very last moment and just now I don’t need it till after the summer at the earliest and its for a few new games like ARMA III, DayZ SA, Simcity, and the New Elite game out next March 2014.

Anyway I plan to have a 27” 120hrz screen to save on eye strain over my old 19” that I’ve have since 2005. Current rig is a Nov 2004 Build so just nursing it along. A

So I just thought I get the 680 or 690 4GB as it was the best card? Is it just a waste of Money when at most It will be on a 27” screen ??? although I did fancy keep the 19” as a side screen.

Cheers.

Permabanned
Well tbh you 3 will argue black and white so good day :D

Waste of money when the "titan" is around the corner, youll be selling up to buy that if you play by their ^^ rules lol.

Soldato
Right I’m getting a new Rig later in the year probably near the end as I don’t see the point spending till the very last moment and just now I don’t need it till after the summer at the earliest and its for a few new games like ARMA III, DayZ SA, Simcity, and the New Elite game out next March 2014.

Anyway I plan to have a 27” 120hrz screen to save on eye strain over my old 19” that I’ve have since 2005. Current rig is a Nov 2004 Build so just nursing it along. A

So I just thought I get the 680 or 690 4GB as it was the best card? Is it just a waste of Money when at most It will be on a 27” screen ??? although I did fancy keep the 19” as a side screen.

Cheers.

690 doesn't have 4gb - its just 2 x 680 2gb on one card.

As your in no rush you can wait for the new offerings to appear before you decide

Man of Honour
This is very helpful, someone (gregster i think) mentioned you might advise in one of my threads but i have managed to get some advice here.

im on a single monitor (Dell U3011) at 2560x1600 for 2D gaming. Then for 3D i turn to a 3d vision ready projector at 720/1080p. 3D vision rules out AMD cards for me.

You are asking what the best solution is for gaming on your Dell U3011.

I also use that monitor. At this resolution a GTX 690 and a pair of HD 7950s have about the same performance. What lets the GTX 690 down is it is about £300 more than the HD 7950s and also the 2gbs of vram on the 690 gpus. For most things at the moment this is not a problem @1600p but there are games like skyrim with mods that can excede this and also future game releases will follow this tread. The one one thing a GTX 690 has in its favour is a hardware fix for microstutter.

For future proofing, price and performance a pair of HD 7950s are a far better option.

I use GTX 690s and HD 7970s

For gaming HD 7950s are within a few % of the HD 7970s

Associate
690 doesn't have 4gb - its just 2 x 680 2gb on one card.

As your in no rush you can wait for the new offerings to appear before you decide

Aaaaaaa sorry for not checking that! What I'm aiming for is what is the best card now that will be cheaper in under a year from now. By the time I get my new rig from here the 690 will be not the best on the market as I’m not spending £500 on a card.

So is having 2X2GB not just the same as saying its got 4GB under the hood?

Last time I got a PC is was easy to see what was near the top but all these naming conventions for CPU’s and GPU’s is a nightmare to follow.

Back
Top Bottom