• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Severely underperforming GTX 770

Associate
Hi,

I built my new computer over the weekend (i5 4670k, Asus DCUII GTX 770, Seasonic Platinum 860w, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 8GB, all in a Corsair 600T), it's my first ever full PC build and the build itself went quite well.

I have configured my RAM to run at it's rated speeds / timings in the BIOS using XMP, I have updated / installed all drivers and downloaded / installed all windows updates available to me (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit). Other than that I have both my GPU and CPU running at their stock values. I am also running the most recent Nvidia drivers (think it's 320. something).

I decided to download The Witcher 2 (a game I've been wanting to play for since its release) and expected to be able to play with all (most) of the bells and whistles on at 1080p and sustain 60FPS.

Using GeForce experience it stated that the optimal settings (and you would think, settings I could sustain high FPS with) were identical to the settings used in a test done by bit-tech when they were testing performance for the Titan.

On their test, they showed the GTX 680 perform with an average FPS of 81, with a minimum of 61, and the 7970Ghz ED perform with an average FPS of 84, with a minimum of 63.

You can see the full test at this website: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/02/21/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-6gb-review/6

I believe my 770 should perform roughly around (if not slightly better) than both of these cards so you would expect that I would be achieving a similar FPS score, right?

I used similar settings and launched the tutorial to begin my game (the tutorial was a fairly closed in area with little going on). I was averaging around 30 FPS with dips to 10-15 during dialogue sequences. Surely something is not working correctly here?

Help please! :(

I used similar settings and launched the tutorial to begin my game (the tutorial was a fairly closed in area with little going on). I was averaging around 30 FPS with dips to 10-15 during dialogue sequences. Surely something is not working correctly here? Help please! :(
Sounds like you got UberSampling enabled. Enabling this setting in Witcher 2 with a Nvidia card would drop the frame rate by around 50-55% if I remember correctly. The difference between having UberSampling enabled and disabled is so hard to tell, even when comparing screenshots of the two...so it's really not worth losing 50-55% performance for that kinda pointless thing.

Ubersampling is definitely disabled.

Checked Nvidia control panel and the only option I could see under 'manage 3D settings' about AA was referring to FXAA. That option was off, and most of the other options were set to 'let application decide'.

Is it possible my GPU isn't coming under full load / is incorrectly undervolting itself? Is it worth checking for this (and how would I go about that? :>)?

This is massively depressing me at the moment!

I'll give a go with Heaven 4.0 and post the results in that thread.

I did try that benchmark late last night and couldn't get it to run at all at fullscreen 1080p, it would just keep crashing / not loading.

I'll check my temps on my gpu to see how that's fairing.

Brb.

I received 34.6 FPS average in the Heaven benchmark, which is pretty much about the same that I'm getting in Witcher 2. Hmph.

Score on the Heaven benchmark was 961.

Not sure if that's around what I should be getting with an Asus DCUII OC 770 at stock settings.

And yeah, my PCI lane is running at x16.

After about 3 or 4 loops through heaven my GPU was running at about 68 degrees Celsius which doesn't seem overly high either.

I have no idea what could be causing my slowdown in Witcher 2.

I will try downloading some other games to test, but at the moment I don't own many graphically intense games having only just bought and built the computer.

To be honest, the next most demanding game on my steam list is probably Civ 5, which isn't very demanding at all.

buy a copy of Crysis from a bargain bin somewhere ;)

hmm, try downloading and running cpu-z, gpu-z and hwmonitor.
check all temps and all speeds, to try and identify exactly which component is causing the bottleneck.

I used similar settings and launched the tutorial to begin my game (the tutorial was a fairly closed in area with little going on). I was averaging around 30 FPS with dips to 10-15 during dialogue sequences. Surely something is not working correctly here?

Help please! :(

Turn off Uber sampling and watch your FPS shoot up through the roof.

Edit: Sorry I see you have already tried disabling it.

Sounds like your clocks aren't ramping up when under load, run MSI afterburn or EVGA Precision and see what clocks your getting.

It definitely says that I have Ubersampling disabled in the options menu that you can configure before the game launches.

Is it worth checking a .ini to see whether it's actually enabled and just showing as disabled in the menu?

I did check temps and volts etc earlier with CPU-z GPU-z and HW Monitor while running the game and nothing jumped out at me, but I'll try again.

I'll also check GPU usage while playing with EVGA precision, but I would imagine if my temps are reaching 70 degrees that I'll be close to 100% load.

Ok, I realised that I had set one of the options higher than was in the benchmark done during that titan review at bit-tech.

I had set texture memory size to very large instead of large, switching it back down doubled my FPS. Still though, I'm not averaging what the 680 was in that test. Perhaps it was maxing out my VRAM? (Using a 2GB 770)

I checked my clocks etc and everything is fine. GPU at 100% load, CPU seems to be operating as it should. I don't really know why I'm not getting more performance out of my setup than I am (was still dipping down to ~50 FPS even after the change), but I suppose for now crisis is averted.

I have been getting some oddities from performance scanning hardware though which puzzled me. Using the Witcher 2 one (the one that decided I should only use high settings) it stated that I have 4095MB system memory (when I have 8GB) and that I have 4040MB VRAM (when I have 2GB). Weird!

Either way, thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom