Project: Aquasidian (Corsair 800D)

• Thread starter Thread starter Nem
  • Start date Start date

Nem

Nem

Associate
Six months on quick update: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17169359&postcount=209

Finally managed to get started on my new build...

01.jpg

02.jpg

Run down of parts:

Asus Rampage II Extreme
Intel i7 920 D0
Asus Ati 5870
Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Crucial 64Gb SSD + Westen Digital 1Tb

Watercooling:

Swiftech GTZ SE
EK 5870 full cover
XSPC RX360
Swiftech MCP655
EK 250 R2 Reservoir
Tygon 1/2" with Fesser Compresion fittings
Thermochill EC6 Blue Coolant

Then to finish it all there are some white cathodes, Scythe Kaze controler, Scythe Jyuni 1900 fans, Corsair Ram cooler. All cables will be sleeved with MDPC-X sleeve and heatshrink.

Mounting the 5870 block:

03.jpg

Pump, Res and Rad mounting:

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Motherboard and graphics fitted, all pipework in place:

07.jpg

08.jpg

Two days work so far, and it's gone rather well so far. I have managed to snap on of the res mounting brackets so need to replace that.

I've sleeved a few of the cables for the fans already, also turned the rear case fan around to draw air into the case. Just witing for a delivery from Germany for the rest of the sleeving to finish off the psu cables.

Next stage it to recheck all the pipe fittings and then fill and leak test the system before going any further. These compression fittings certainly look nice, but it's a bit of a task to get them 100% secure, so need to be careful of them I think.

I have also got the waterblocks for the mosfets on this board, but didn't realise you need to also replace the north / south bridge cooling as well. I've not got enough cooling to have all of it in the system so for now I've decided to keep the stock cooling on the mother board and add at a later date.

Will update later in the week with progress :)

Last edited:
Looking very nice. How are you finding the case re working inside it? Its going to be my next purchase and im still trying to justify spending £209 on a case lol

looking very swish, im liking this case a lot, gonna have to update my coolermast cm690 at some point, had a stacker 690 before that but had to sell due to financial issues!

Keep em pictures coming!

:D

How are you finding the case re working inside it? Its going to be my next purchase and im still trying to justify spending £209 on a case lol

Case is stunning. Only thing is it's not actually as big as I was expecting. Not that it's small, and not that it's a problem either, but I've had to really think about how to position the pump as there's not that much room in the lower section with the fan down there also.

My last case was a Coolermaster 110, right before the old skool Coolermaster cases stopped being made, that cost £230 so the price of this was just about bearable :)

Not seen many builds in the 800D so will keep an eye on this :) Looking nice so far though. That rad fit up in the roof straight away?

The rad fits straight in, one reason I went for this case was not having to cut it up as soon as I bought it. You will loose the top couple of drive bays tho, although the top one isn't a problem as it's housing the power button nd front pannel sockets. But something worth considering if you wanted a load of cd drives etc etc.

Reviews flying about state you can fit a 360 rad with push+pull slim fans and still have 5-10mm space left from the mobo

I've got enough space between the top of the motherboard and the bottom of the fans currently to get another fan depth in there, with maybe a couple of mm left so it's certainly possible.

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but it looks like you might have trouble fitting the RAM under that hose? Nonetheless, looks awesome so far :)

Couple more pics to show how the pump is mounted and the pipe routed behind the motherboard wall. There is a good inch of space back there, so with that smll piece of the case bent it allows the pipe to not be squashed at all.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:
First fill an leak test didn't go well :( Fluid coming out of both the cpu block inlet and outlet! Not the pipe connection but the compression fitting to the block. But it was as tight as possible to screw it in.

Had to part drain the system and remove both fittings to have a look. Seems that the O ring on the compression fittings are not large enough to seal them to this cpu block. Had a brainwave and looked at the fittings supplied with the block (which I've not used at all) and they had O rings which were twice the size on them. Changed them over to the compression fittings and put it all back together, refilled and for the last 30 minutes they seem ok. I've currently got a towel and kitchen roll laid out to look for any leaks with a micro torch aimed at the cpu block to make it easier to see.

The colour of this Thermochill Blue liquid is perfect for the Aqua theme :D

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom