• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Cat 6.3+updated CP!

Associate
www.ati.com > Drivers and Software > Windows XP > FireMV > FireMV 2400 PCI

Wonder why ATI havn't posted this in the Radeon DL section?

If installing the 6.3+CP package(and if you can be a*s*d)run ad-aware se before and after. Notice the difference in running processes and process modules ad-aware picks up?

My findings: (CCC closed)
6.3 CCC = 24 running processes/1258 process modules.
6.3 CP+ATT = 18 running processes/735 process modules.

I know its not the most scientific of tests but its proof that CCC(yes, when closed)runs more services, hence eats more system resoures than CP ever did/does.

Credit goes to KoVaR(Rage 3D)for finding this hidden gem:)

S_D

S_D

Associate
Brilliant! Good find. I knew they used to do this with older Cat's (that is, bury them under FireMV), but assumed they'd stopped at 5.12.

With CP in preference to CCC loaded my machine uses 80MB less memory when idle, and that's a big deal when running BF2 with 1GB.

:)

Simon

Soldato
I have to say this is an amazing find - good old CP for me, none of this CCC rubbish - but does the overdrive work the same as I use my X1800XT @ overdrive max of 690/1600 - will it work as normal in the CP?

Soldato
welshtom said:
I'm also confused ??

i just download "drivers only" does that have a version of CCC enabled?
On the ATi download drivers website, there is a FireMV section where you normally select Radeon. This section contains the Catalyst drivers with the old Control Panel (i.e. no Catalyst Control Centre). I checked the readme and it does indeed work on all Radeons :D. So we have a control panel (old style) still available from ATi :D.

Permabanned
smids said:
On the ATi download drivers website, there is a FireMV section where you normally select Radeon. This section contains the Catalyst drivers with the old Control Panel (i.e. no Catalyst Control Centre). I checked the readme and it does indeed work on all Radeons :D. So we have a control panel (old style) still available from ATi :D.

sweet :)

Associate
Shouldnt ATI be taking note of this, they tried to push CCC onto every computer, everyone still downloads the CP package, so they hide it and only advertise the CCC version on there homepage, someone finds the CP package and advertises on the net and everyone is using the CP version again.

Come on ATI, just admit it you messed up with CCC, all its good for is hogging system resources.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Great news!

I'm still on 5.11 for this reason. Tried 6.1 but didn't get on with the CCC at all so downgraded

Unfortunately it's only for XP x32 - the section for XP x64 drivers only has the CCC :(

Think I'll try the Omega drivers or the driver only and keep the CP

Such a shame they're forcing that bloated junk on us that is CCC

Soldato
Hi there,

I have read all the replys but I am still a little confused.

Are you saying that the Control Center takes a lot of system resources?

What If I have downloaded the Driver only version and installed that?

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom