• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Cat 6.3+updated CP!

Soldato
Well I don't mess around with AA and AF anyways so if I dont have either of those, its better than having the control panel then, or do you loose "performance" in games or something?

Soldato
Yes it's better than having the control centre - you won't loose performance in games from not having it. In all honesty your performance should be a little better as you will have fewer processes running. It is also probably better than having the control panel but as the resources for this are so small I'd still consider it

Soldato
Its just an interface to the registry AFAIK (excluding processes for hotkeys and vpu recovery, which can be disabled if so inclined), its not resident in the memory, its set and forget. No reason not to use it.

Also if you are bothered what frequency your monitor is set to when playing games, then it has a fix for that; also color profiles (which are sometimes necessary since ATI have a tendancy to go dark).

Soldato
Conrad11 said:
Is it better to have none at all............ie just having the driver (no CP or CCC)?

you get just the same performance with or without a control panel. but if you play a variety of games you may that you need to change some options. for example i need the CP to set the following

gta:sa - change gamma setting. too dark otherwise
pro evo 5 - need to set vsync forced ON to stop tearing on screen

if you're completely happy with every game (there are non-gaming settings too i guess such as overlay) and don't need to ever change anything then you can just run the drivers on their own. it's upto you. :)

Associate
cant find all the options in old cp compared to ccc or have i missed things like avivo colour?

I know there's colour options in cp but i cant get the same colour settings to what i have with ccc (saturation)

Soldato
Paa` said:
cant find all the options in old cp compared to ccc or have i missed things like avivo colour?
Overlay tab for video playback adjustments
Paa` said:
I know there's colour options in cp but i cant get the same colour settings to what i have with ccc (saturation)
gamma = saturation?

TBH if u had always used CP u would be saying same thing about CCC, AFAIK the only thing CP cant do is the CAT AI, which adjusts settings automatically according to ATI set optimizations on a per game basis. Many people turn that feature off anyhow.

This whole issue is covered in the sticky - which I hadnt checked before.

Associate
My main gripe with the bloated CCC is not the actual app but the fact that installing .net as a requirement slows windows boot up down and uses up to 300mb of system ram!

I just install the driver alone and use ATT which is a superb little utility!

Soldato
Unfortunately, as I use overdrive to clock my card, I had to switch back to CCC as it has the overclocking overdrive tab as opposed to the standard overdrive :(.

Associate
smids said:
Unfortunately, as I use overdrive to clock my card, I had to switch back to CCC as it has the overclocking overdrive tab as opposed to the standard overdrive :(.

same here! back to CCC would have used ati tool to clock but it crashed my system while overclocking my 19xtx......nice fan control mind, at 100 p/cfane the temps dropped by 10 degs, though it did sound like concorde !!

Soldato
smids said:
Ofcourse if u prefer to use CCC then thats your choice. Many people are in agreement that they want to have more control over what is and is not installed on their own PC.

I used to use nvidia active armour till I found that it corrupts ftp downloads. I used nvidia firewall until I found not using it stopped americas army hitting 2fps when refreshing the browser. I used ATItool until I found that its dynamic fan control caused lag in both my favorite fire person shooter online games. There are threads about this on rage3d and techpowerup! forums.

I used CCC and without ATItool it ran fine. I do have 2Gb of memory now. While I found no issue with it, if I let every bloated piece of junk install and remain on my system I would be wondering which one of those apps was causing the next issue I run into.

Even microsoft office and nero want to run each time you boot your pc, what benifit is there?

As for an overclocking tab, try rage3dtweak. That added an overclocking panel right into the tabs.

Soldato
megatron said:
Ofcourse if u prefer to use CCC then thats your choice. Many people are in agreement that they want to have more control over what is and is not installed on their own PC.

I used to use nvidia active armour till I found that it corrupts ftp downloads. I used nvidia firewall until I found not using it stopped americas army hitting 2fps when refreshing the browser. I used ATItool until I found that its dynamic fan control caused lag in both my favorite fire person shooter online games. There are threads about this on rage3d and techpowerup! forums.

I used CCC and without ATItool it ran fine. I do have 2Gb of memory now. While I found no issue with it, if I let every bloated piece of junk install and remain on my system I would be wondering which one of those apps was causing the next issue I run into.

Even microsoft office and nero want to run each time you boot your pc, what benifit is there?

As for an overclocking tab, try rage3dtweak. That added an overclocking panel right into the tabs.
I actively want to use the CP - I installed the one in this thread actually but had to go back. I hate the bloat, but for now, I'm stuck with it.

Soldato
james.miller said:
drivers + ATi Tray Tools > drivers + CC
Yeah, I know - I wish I could but as I said in the other thread, I don't want to clock with it so would be stuck on stock clocks.

For anyone not clocking their X1800/X1900, this si the way to go.

Soldato
Problem being though, that only the CCC has the overdrive which works, no other program reliably clocks, hence the reason I'm stuck - I could run at stock, but where is the fun in that :p.

Soldato
smids said:
Problem being though, that only the CCC has the overdrive which works, no other program reliably clocks, hence the reason I'm stuck - I could run at stock, but where is the fun in that :p.

why not dump your bios, edit it to your overclocked speeds and flash it back. that's what i've always done. i hate using software to overclock.... :p

Back
Top Bottom