• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

At Last - surround gaming with decent graphics

Soldato
Awesome - 12:3 will be far cooler than even widescreen at 16:9 - bit pricy at $299 though - still - nice to see someone has finally made the effort to bring this to the market!

Soldato
OP
Think I'm going to pre-order as the screenshots for FS2004, GRAW, and FEAR look awsome. Doesnt seem to effect preformance apart from the large screen res - which you would get on a widescreen (big) anyway.

Maybe a good use for a couple of projectors too :D

Soldato
I'm not entirely sure what that box does... basically you set your game res to 3840x1024 and the box splits output from one VGA port to three, is that it?

Cheers,

Suman

Soldato
It would certainly solve the issues we had with spanning (though I still recon that should work!) Most of the games allow you to force a custom resolution so I think that's the ideal solution, and considering you can get 19" monitors for under £150 now... sounds like a plan to me!

Why limit yourself to 1920 x 1200 on a single 24" when you can have 3840 x 1024 across 3 with a FOV that means you really can have eyes in the back of your head!! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sumanji - thats about the basics of it - sorts out all the spanning issues and allows a massive screen - as long as you can increase the FOV then gaming should take on a whole new meaning.

Gets rid of the dreaded secound graphics card issue with compatability and allows SLI - only VGA at moment but possible DVI in the future!!!!

Soldato
Bah - DVI's overrated - just adjust your monitor properly and stop whinging - I don't know - some people are never satisfied :D (Besides - where are you going to find a wall large enough to cope with this over 3 projectors...?)

Last edited:
Soldato
Why in the name of god would anyone buy that + 3 TFT`s lol

wouldnt it be better to just buy the biggest TFT screen there is and sit 2 feet away from it LOL cinema style :D

i mean that dongle and 3 tft`s will set you back more than it would cost for 1 large TFT...

I know what i would do.

Soldato
OP
I have put up a couple of threads thinking about going single large TFT but it doesnt remain flexible enough for my usage (unless I spend in the order of £1200)

Mainly cse its a bigger widescreen overall, you can angle the monitors (for fltsims etc), the cost is approx £620 for 19inch screens and dongle (although I already have 2 so that reduces the cost for me) and I can still rig it to run purely seperate screens when I dont want 1 large widescreen (to run seperate apps fullscreen on dual core).

I also have a couple of projectors which I want to try and stitch together, and run fully rendered 3d in, which I have found to be a hit and miss effort with spanning.

Associate
I think playing games would get a bit irritating with the edges of the monitors separating screens. If it were possible to remove the screen edges I would consider this a a good gaming solution.

Neglecting the problem above, I think 3 spanning monitors would be far more immersive in a game than one large one.

Soldato
OP
the edges of the screens were a problem when spanning over 2 - edges right over the crosshairs, but the left and right monitors are really for peripheral vision so the edges dont really cause a problem.

Another bit from a review:
Another advantage for gamers is that it gives a field of view of 45 degrees, wider than even a 30in screen. The fact that the resolution isn’t quite as high is actually a bonus as it’s less demanding on the graphics setup.

I think I could even keep (not SLI mode obviously) a 4 screen going for monitoring temps whilst playing fullscreen (3) games - which I like to do for that warm feeling that my overclock and watercooling hasnt gone pete tong!

Soldato
Clever little gizmo but.....

considering how much of an issue just one dead pixel is on a screen to many people I think having huge great borders between screens in gaming would drive me and many others mad.

I also think that having to physically move your head to look at the side screens would be a real aggravation after a while too.

I would choose a single 20" or 24" WS monitor any day in preference.

Associate
I think it would be great if the two outside monitors were displaying extra visuals (eg, extra vision that you dont have with one monitor, like what you would actually see if you could turn your head in game) but all its doing is giving you the same image straight vision you would get on one screen and stretching it around?? A step in the right direction though, :)

Soldato
I think its great :D

Adds the wow factor to your rig.

Id go with dual / triple screens anyday. The gaming experience would be far better. Get a sense of involvment in the game to me. Feeling that you are part of it. Would hence on your game play too. Allowing far much more of the game to be viewed at once.

Ive not been a fan of large single screens tbh.

Take daily use into account, using dual or triple displays is far better practical than one single display. Multi tasking with an ease.

To me, its the right way to go my friend. Good find and buy in my book.

What displays have you got atm TBird?

Soldato
OP
lol, you dont have to move your head, you angle them slightly to give the impression/illusion that you are in the game - works a treat! Also the 3 screens give a larger field of view unless you go upto the likes of a 30" Dell and thats serious money.

The screens do give extra view - look at the screenshots from FPS and oblivion from my first linky, infact any game you can alter the FOV will work - it lists quite a few, just not BF2 at the moment :( Take a look FEAR

Its the flexability to have seperate monitors when I need them that I like

Soldato
OP
Bennah, got quite a few - and just sold a few, at the moment got 2 packard Bell 17inch (surprisingly my best screens), 2 digimate 19", 1 Digimate 17", A touchscreen ELO 15", a LOGIK 26" TV (but works well as a monitor), and a couple of 15" and 2 oldish projectors.

ps - I didnt find them, someone else on these forums mentioned it in passing and it was something I've been looking for for ages!! :D

Soldato
OP
Not really sure - the Digimate 19" I find a bit washed out compared to thier 17" ones - so am still in decision mode (cant do anything for a couple of months anyway!)

Probably go for 3 17 Inch on my main rig and keep the pairs on the others

Back
Top Bottom