COWS!!

Man of Honour
I was thinking last night, which I know is a dangerous thing, about cows and I am a bit puzzled.

Firstly, does a cow have to be pregnent to produce milk? If so does that mean they are pregnent all the time?

Secondly, does a cow produce Skimmed, Semi-Skimmed or full fat milk? I think it must be Skimmed because they only eat pasture which isn't very fatning. Therefore, who adds the fat? This leads me to my next question..

Why is steak fatty?

And lastly, why do cows lay down when it going to rain and how do they know? I've tried lying down and I still can tell if it's going to rain or not!!

:confused:

A cow -
cow.jpg

A pint of milk
milk.jpg

Permabanned
Admiral Huddy said:
I was thinking last night, which I know is a dangerous thing, about cows and I am a bit puzzled.

Firstly, does a cow have to be pregnent to produce milk? If so does that mean they are pregnent all the time?

Secondly, does a cow produce Skimmed, Semi-Skimmed or full fat milk? I think it must be Skimmed because they only eat pasture which isn't very fatning. Therefore, who adds the fat? This leads me to my next question..

Why is steak fatty?

And lastly, why do cows lay down when it going to rain and how do they know? I've tried lying down and I still can tell if it's going to rain or not!!

No they produce milk all the time

Cows just produc milk in it's natural format, it is then pasturised, skimmed etc

Steak is fatty

They have barometers up their ass's

Permabanned
lol I have wondered that too heheheh

Also who first discovered gas and how? natural gas is colourless and odourless, so I can only imagine some poor bugger made a spark in the wrong place lol

Soldato
The_KiD said:
No they produce milk all the time

Actually that's not true. Dairy cows have to get pregnant first before they start producing milk. Then the process of milking the cow encourages them to continue producing the milk, and as long as milking is continued the cow will keep producing milk for as long as it's able. Same thing in humans.

Soldato
Pudney@work said:
Actually that's not true. Dairy cows have to get pregnant first before they start producing milk. Then the process of milking the cow encourages them to continue producing the milk, and as long as milking is continued the cow will keep producing milk for as long as it's able. Same thing in humans.
I am going to encourage mrs fatiain to keep producing after we wean the baby. Yay for free milk.

Soldato
Apparently they are kept pregnant. That was my understanding anyway.

The modern dairy cow must remain lactating, which means being in a constant cycle of pregnancy. She is first impregnated, usually artificially, at 15-18 months, giving birth nine months later when she is just over two years old. After about 12 hours her calf is taken away from her forever, so that her milk can be extracted and sold for human consumption. It is common for modern dairy cows to produce 100 pounds of milk a day— 10 times more than they would produce in nature. To keep milk production as high as possible, farmers artificially inseminate cows every year. Impregnated again, just two to three months after each calving, cows are simultaneously lactating and pregnant for at least seven months of the year. They will produce up to 10,000 litres of milk during each lactation.

Associate
kitten_caboodle said:
After about 12 hours her calf is taken away from her forever, so that her milk can be extracted and sold for human consumption.

Boo hoo hoo.

Whats this, an article written to brianwash dairy cows into an uprising?

Back
Top Bottom